Mackay Project: Half priced bus tickets for worthy foreigners over 65

Strawman. And the place is a fucking toilet.

Hardly. This attitude is not going to help bring people to our side.

Its not possible for people to think of everything. We have to have discussions. What you are doing is unproductive.

In fact, counterproductive.

1 Like

I don’t understand. South Africa is totally fucked. They hardly have any electicity anymore. The infrastructure is screwed by corruption and fraud. There is no public transport anymore. Inflation is through the ceiling.
It’s an absurd comparison.

We’re not talking about hydro or corruption. We’re talking about discrimination.

I know if I was a government official or an MP or a local party member and I tried to help people and then saw derision, i’d think to myself that they can get fucked.

1 Like

Right. And Taiwan is steeped in discrimination. Got it?

1 Like

So is every other democracy! Taiwan is not special!

But what you are doing is a hindrance to us.

Okay. So when they throw a bone at me, I must say “Thank you, master” and gobble it up.
If you can’t see that a NT$6 discount (with a pile of caveats) for ancient FOREIGNERS is window-dressing for discrimination, then I’m out of this conversation.

1 Like

Not at all. But thanks for the Strawman back. But literally whinging and being sour is not going attract bees. We still have to remember that there are real people behind this. Some are forum members like @fifieldt and @Fuzzy_Barbecue and Audrey Tang.

These people are not dictators. They are individuals. Appreciation for their efforts goes a long way. I dont build guanxi with animosity. I work. I co-operate.

The only people whose jobs it is to enforce the law are the justices. And none of us have the finances and resources to take on the government as an entity alone.

I do say thanks when they help me. I do say thanks when non-guilty individuals that have no incentive to help me, help me.

Sometimes it is bigotry. Most of the time it is ignorance or a failure to remember.

When we win, I say thanks and now let’s tackle the next problem.

It is part of a bigger picture to dismantle the apparatus that unnecessarily discriminates against us.

I will always celebrate when our lives improve.

4 Likes

You get 60 bus rides for free per month, and then some, like every Taiwanese senior citizen. It does not come automatically to them either. They have to apply and renew every 6 months. If you are not happy, don’t apply. My mom never takes buses or MRT so she didn’t bother. Taiwan is far from perfect, and a lot need to be improved to treat foreign residents better, but the comparison with apartheid SA is ridiculous.

2 Likes

I don’t think so, but you’re entitled to your opinion.

2 Likes

Many of them are free in the UK.

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: Is the UK part of Europe?

Here is one EU Nation discounts (Lithuania) which is quite a list:

Am I eligible for a discount?

• [SpausdintiPrint](javascript:window.print())

2021 11 09

• I am a parent/guardian of minors
  • Free journey for two children under 7
  • I am a university student
  • I am a primary school pupil – EUR 10 for a year (primary school pupil ticket)
  • I am a pupil – 50 percent (for short-term tickets), – 80% (for day and long-term tickets)
  • I am a university student – 50% (for short-term tickets), – 80% (for day and long-term tickets)
  • I am a pensioner
  • I am over 80 – 80%*
  • I am under 80 – 50%
  • I have a disability
  • I have Group I disability, total incapacity – 80%
  • I require haemodialysis – 80% (other illnesses – link)
  • I am accompanying a person with a disability specified above (one accompanying person per one person with disability) – 80%
  • I have Group II disability, partial incapacity – 50%
  • I am a member of the Resistance / suffered injury *
  • I am over 70
  • I have family members who died during aggression by USSR in 1991 and later
  • I am a defender of the independence of Lithuania who lost capacity during aggression by USSR in 1991 and later – 80%
  • I am a defender of the independence of Lithuania who suffered injury during aggression by USSR in 1991 and later – 50%
  • I am a member of the Resistance against the occupations of 1940-1990 (volunteer soldiers) – 80%
  • I suffered from the occupations of 1939-1990 (political prisoners and exiles, former prisoners in ghettos, concentration camps and other types of forced camps) – 80%
  • I am under 70
  • I have family members who died during aggression by USSR in 1991 and later – 80%
  • I am a defender of the independence of Lithuania who lost capacity during aggression by USSR in 1991 and later – 80%
  • I am a defender of the independence of Lithuania who suffered injury during aggression by USSR in 1991 and later – 50%
  • I am a member of the Resistance against the occupations of 1940-1990 (volunteer soldiers, freedom fighters) – 50%
  • I suffered from the occupations of 1939-1990 (political prisoners and exiles, former prisoners in ghettos, concentration camps and other types of forced camps) – 50%

*Persons to whom these privileges apply are entitled to purchase a 12-month (365-day) ticket for EUR 2.90.

Discounts are applied in accordance with the Law on Transport Privileges of the Republic of Lithuania.

Fun fact
Even if one is a registered with NHI as a foreign person with disability, HSR still will not allow half price tickets even with NHIs medical paper. They want a form from your registry office which, surprise, will only give it to Taiwanese with Hukou

5 Likes

Making every 敬老卡持有者 renew every six months?
At least not here in Taichung. Otherwise the mayor would get voted out of office.

The same for New Taipei City.