Macking in Taipei

Feiren, everyone else didn’t get off. Check out what a demerit entails for a government lackey. It’s actually a pretty big slur on the old reume and could cost him dear down the line. They’re taken very seriously. Even the DOI head got a verbal reprimand – major face-loss there.
The kid’s a conscript. Check the website – his position is described there as “bottom rung.” Yet he’s been transferred. To what, one can only imagine that it’s not very nice.

David, Boucher was in charge of the English Department. It was his responsibility. Not the responsibility of a staff supervisor. We have supervisors over where I work, about one to every 20 or so editors/writers. They’re responsible for staff management, not the material that gets put out. I don’t know how it works at City Hall, but I imagine it’s not far different.

You are right, demerits are taken fairly seriously even though the consequences aren’t that big of a deal. But I’d take a demerit or loss of face over losing my job in most cases.

I still think that Boucher got fired because he was firable and the Mayor wanted to be seen as doing something.

The superviser, according to the article, was responsible for du1dao3 ‘supervising and guiding’ the site.

Examples of fuck-ups at Taiwan’s international development ministry where people didn’t get fired:

1. A screw-up a few years ago whereby everyone had to give back their annual bonus. Anyone fired? No. Reason: Well, let’s just some longtimers protect the other longtimers in more ways than one. :smiling_imp:

2. DPP officials drinking on the job (Corona and Tequila are not usual office ornaments are they :smiling_imp: )

And I am not even describing the plethora of mistakes that are made because government workers can’t read important letters or compose a basic letter properly. The “City Hall” firing, even though it was probably justified, shows that “foreigners” are nothing more than a cheap commodity in the eyes of the National and City government.

I am just glad that the private sector (research and development in particular) is starting to understand that to remain competitive Taiwan needs to embrace foreigners. :bravo:

Let me state this – there are some wonderful Taiwanese companies out there.

My advice for foreigners thinking about excepting a government job.

1. Negotiate holiday days in advance. Don’t fall for the “everyone else has this many days” trap. You’re not being treated like everyone else.

2. Negotiate performance and annual bonuses at the very beginning.

3. Negotiate overseas trips and other fringe benefits at the very beginning.

4. If they ask you to write a test, ask to see samples of writings within the ministry. You wouldn’t believe the poor level of English that people in high and low positions alike have.

In many cases you are the writer, editor, and research analyst in one. You are better educated than some of your bosses and co-workers and you are practically doing their job for them. Yet, you receive none of their benefits.

[quote=“Chewycorns”]Examples of fuck-ups at Taiwan’s international development ministry where people didn’t get fired:

1. A screw-up a few years ago whereby everyone had to give back their annual bonus. Anyone fired? No. Reason: Well, let’s just some longtimers protect the other longtimers in more ways than one. :smiling_imp:

2. DPP officials drinking on the job (Corona and Tequila are not usual office ornaments are they :smiling_imp: )

And I am not even describing the plethora of mistakes that are made because government workers can’t read important letters or compose a basic letter properly. The “City Hall” firing, even though it was probably justified, shows that “foreigners” are nothing more than a cheap commodity in the eyes of the National and City government.

I am just glad that the private sector (research and development in particular) is starting to understand that to remain competitive Taiwan needs to embrace foreigners. :bravo:

Let me state this – there are some wonderful Taiwanese companies out there.

My advice for foreigners thinking about excepting a government job.

1. Negotiate holiday days in advance. Don’t fall for the “everyone else has this many days” trap. You’re not being treated like everyone else.

2. Negotiate performance and annual bonuses at the very beginning.

3. Negotiate overseas trips and other fringe benefits at the very beginning.

4. If they ask you to write a test, ask to see samples of writings within the ministry. You wouldn’t believe the poor level of English that people in high and low positions alike have.

In many cases you are the writer, editor, and research analyst in one. You are better educated than some of your bosses and co-workers and you are practically doing their job for them. Yet, you receive none of their benefits.[/quote]

Chewy this is the FINEST post I’ve EVER seen you post. You drove it home and told the honest to god truth. Good for you, boy! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :beer:

[quote=“Chewycorns”]
My advice for foreigners thinking about excepting a government job.[/quote]

Yeah, you sure they aren’t the only ones rocking Los Coronas during office hours???
Or should we chalk this up to another fine example of high Klein-ian academic standards??

(You didn’t happen to study under the tutelage of the inestimable Tommy Boy Flanagan, please Gawd, say it ain’t so…)

[quote=“david”]Err … exactly what does the supervisor do then? He can’t understand English and yet he’s supervising … the production of an English website?[/quote]Welcome to Taiwan. Pull up a seat.

I know Mr Bucher and he is a fine upstanding young man with a passion for golf.

I know the job was pretty stressful for him, so maybe he isn’t feeling too bitter about the dismissal.

I’m sure he’s dusting off his sticky ball as we speak. :wink:

Though Bucher displayed gross ill judgment and the LA boy’s writing was horribly puerile, I’d have thought it more deserving of a reprimand than summary dismissal. But if the fellow’s glad to escape that zoo, as Stray Dog suggests, then it’s not so hard on him after all.

What’s the betting that a non-furriner will be appointed to fill his shoes? Not that anyone with a passable CV is likely to want to apply for such a job!

Anyway, I’m glad to have become acquainted with the word “macking”, which had entirely escaped my awareness before. And how ah-somely fitting that the scandal-drenched Chocolate should happen to be surnamed “Mack”!

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“Chewycorns”]

Yeah, you sure they aren’t the only ones rocking Los Coronas during office hours???
Or should we chalk this up to another fine example of high Klein-ian academic standards??

(You didn’t happen to study under the tutelage of the inestimable Tommy Boy Flanagan, please Gawd, say it ain’t so…)[/quote]

Hey Chief, there is nothing unprofessional about drinking whiskey and posting on Forumosa. After all, I am not at the office. If all you can do is take the piss out of a spelling mistake and attack Klein and Flanagan, I would surmise that you must have been at the shelter the night he made his visit.

:smiling_imp:

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“the chief”][quote=“Chewycorns”]

(You didn’t happen to study under the tutelage of the inestimable Tommy Boy Flanagan, please Gawd, say it ain’t so…)[/quote]

Hey Chief, there is nothing unprofessional about drinking whiskey and posting on Forumosa. After all, I am not at the office. If all you can do is take the piss out of a spelling mistake and attack Klein and Flanagan, I would surmise that you must have been at the shelter the night he made his visit.

:smiling_imp:[/quote]

Yeah, but unlike him, I was sober.

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“the chief”][quote=“Chewycorns”]

:smiling_imp:[/quote]

Yeah, but unlike him, I was sober.[/quote]

Klein has never tried to hide what he is. He is a populist and a man of the people. Albertans were entertained when he drunkingly walked into a homeless shelter and told everyone to get jobs. Tough love is often the best medicine.

Klein has never aspired to a higher office other than being Premier of Alberta. The DPP, particularly in international development, are trying to market Taiwan as a responsible country that adheres to Civil Society ideologies. Drinking on the job and treating foreigners poorly is unprofessional and does not help them better the image of Taiwan.

Like him or hate him, Klein is not a hypocrite.

I still believe in the great things Taiwan is doing overseas. I am just thoroughly disappointed in the leadership of the DPP. I had high expectations and am dismayed at their lack of loyalty, xenophobia, and administrative carelessness.

So far so good.

Return of the Mack was a good song.[/quote]

Holy crap, I thought I was the only one who had that song on my playlist.

oh dear, the “fork off” look is getting a workout already. luckily it has long been lovingly perfected