Macking in Taipei

I’m surprised that they didn’t ask me to write the piece…being the babe magnet that I am. :s

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“irishstu”]
Seriously, this REALLY pisses me off. Not only is this guy a dick, but the foreign community as a whole gets a bad name because of him (and he isn’t even foreign).
[/quote]

I don’t see how he’s giving the foreign community a bad name. As someone said before, the TWese probably will be laughing and snarling about him being an overseas Chinese thinking he’s better with his article. Since this article has caused such a rukucks, any bets on how long before he goes back to LA since he thinks it’s better: [/quote]

Because at the beginning, the story made people think that this was a foreigner, and then people tend to jump to conclusions about all foreigners being like this, etc. A certain amount of damage has already been done, because this will now be stuck in some poeple’s heads, despite apologies, etc.

[quote=“Old Gobbo”]
[/quote]
That’d make a great avatar! If I wasn’t so lazy, I’d make it my own.
:slight_smile:

[quote=“Namahottie”]http://English.Taipei.gov.tw/doi/index.jsp?categid=640&recordid=4378&contentpage=5

If you click on this link above you will get a webpage about the author. I say that we email him our thoughts about his ideology of introducing macking into the TW community. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:[/quote]

That site is a hoot; from their slogan “English is a disease: Catch it!” to their slang vocab. (pie hole, ladyboy, napalm…). All I can say is :bravo:

Macking in Kaohsiung? I don’t think so. Kaohsiung isn’t an international city and the mayor’s first goal isn’t making Taipei a “world-class capital.”

Macking in Pingtung. Now that’s the expose I’m looking forward to.

Err, No. The foreign community gets a bad name because of the reporters in Apple Daily who see a jokey webpage written by a Taiwanese for Taiwanese guys about picking up girls and decide to do an anti-foreigner report.

Incidentally, the City Government website still has its information about ladyboys up …

Err, No. The foreign community gets a bad name because of the reporters in Apple Daily who see a jokey webpage written by a Taiwanese for Taiwanese guys about picking up girls and decide to do an anti-foreigner report.

Incidentally, the City Government website still has its information about ladyboys up …[/quote]

Point taken. I therefore hate the Apple Daily too. :smiling_imp: (Still think the guy’s a dick though).

That is one slimy lookin man.

[quote=“Feiren”]Macking in Kaohsiung? I don’t think so. Kaohsiung isn’t an international city and the mayor’s first goal isn’t making Taipei a “world-class capital.”

Macking in Pingdong. Now that’s the expose I’m looking forward to.[/quote]

They needed a macking guide for Taipei and not for the rest of Taiwan?

Says a lot about the “skills” you Taipei boys have.

Ahhh…[color=red]slap[/color] and ouch… :laughing:

I only read the intro posted here but I don’t think it’s that bad. It sounds like he’s trying to be funny. It’s like a parody or satire or whatever literary term you want to use. Doesn’t anyone read " The Onion" www.theonion.com

He sound like a rip off of that “Dr. LoveCool” guy.
Now if he’s serious or the rest of the article was more offensive then thats another story but I thought it was funny.

He DEFINITELY drives an Acura ricer. Poor bugger! Imagine being as much of a dweeb as that and having no clue? He deserves our pity. :laughing:

Romeo deserves to be laughed at by women.
Whomsoever decided to slur our community should be sacked.
Mayor Ma wants to bring us all together. Sometimes ‘sorry,’ just isn’t enough.

[quote=“Chewycorns”]AT least Mayor Ma stood up for the foreigners.
[…snip…] nothing is happening to these workers. They are keeping their jobs.

It seems like the treatment of foreigners within the KMT-run City of Taipei Government is a hell of a lot better than under the DPP political appointees withinin Taiwan’s international development ministry (MOFA).

Good to see the Mayor’s Office standing up against sensationalism and racism directed towards foreigners. :bravo:[/quote]

The China Times is reporting this afternoonthat City Hall has tranferred John Lee, the Taiwanese author of “Macking in Taipei,” issued a demerit to the superviser, orally reprimanded Luo Zhi-cheng, the head of the department of information, and fired the foreigner (John Bucher??) in charge of the Department’s English web site

:fume: :fume:

So, Chewie, I guess that what you mean by Ma’s sticking up for foreigners. Well, I’m sorry to see the foreign editor treated so unfairly, but at least all the Ma-lovers can see his true colors.

The article goes on to say that Luo explained this morning that John Lee, who is doing his alternative military service at City Hall “did not understand City Hall’s position or Taiwan’s society (guo2qing2).” The supervisor “did understand City Hall’s position and Taiwanese society, but doesn’t speak English.”

I can’t wait till Ma and his clowns are running the country

:unamused:

[quote=“Feiren”][quote=“Chewycorns”]AT least Mayor Ma stood up for the foreigners.
[…snip…] nothing is happening to these workers. They are keeping their jobs.

It seems like the treatment of foreigners within the KMT-run City of Taipei Government is a hell of a lot better than under the DPP political appointees withinin Taiwan’s international development ministry (MOFA).

Good to see the Mayor’s Office standing up against sensationalism and racism directed towards foreigners. :bravo:[/quote]

The China Times is reporting this afternoonthat City Hall has tranferred John Lee, the Taiwanese author of “Macking in Taipei,” issued a demerit to the superviser, orally reprimanded Luo Zhi-cheng, the head of the department of information, and fired the foreigner (John Bucher??) in charge of the Department’s English web site

:fume: :fume:

So, Chewie, I guess that what you mean by Ma’s sticking up for foreigners. Well, I’m sorry to see the foreign editor treated so unfairly, but at least all the Ma-lovers can see his true colors.

The article goes on to say that Luo explained this morning that John Lee, who is doing his alternative military service at City Hall “did not understand City Hall’s position or Taiwan’s society (guo2qing2).” The supervisor “did understand City Hall’s position and Taiwanese society, but doesn’t speak English.”

I can’t wait till Ma and his clowns are running the country

:unamused:[/quote]

If that is the case, then I spoke too soon!!! Although in my case, I produced World Bank quality of copy and was still treated like shit by the DPP political appointments. Being summarily dismissed without even an explanation after excellent evaluations and letters of recommendation from the previous SG.

I guess politicians are dishonorable on both sides. I would encourage foreigners to not work in the public sector here.

icdf.org.tw/english/e_pub_an … sp?pid=148

[quote=“Chewycorns”]
I guess politicians are dishonorable on both sides. I would encourage foreigners to not work in the public sector here.

icdf.org.tw/English/e_pub_an … sp?pid=148[/quote]

OK, I’m with you on that one.

In all fairness Feiren, Ma did have to be seen to be doing something. After all the article did attract a lot of negative attention. The conscript ricer boy from LA can’t be fired, I’m guessing, and the supervisor can’t understand English, hence the need for an English editor. Who else should take the rap? It was a stupid piece for pretty much ANY kind of serious publication and this Boucher fellow apparently still doesn’t see that – according to the China News, he wrote that paper an email attempting to defend his decision to run the piece.
Perhaps firing was too extreme, but the choice for the main blame rests squarely on him, I’d say. If you allowed such a piece to run on your thingy, wouldn’t you expect to be canned? I know I would where I am.

And as you know, I’m a HUGE supporter of Ma Ma Hu Hu and his cohorts.

I agree. It was a shite piece and I’ll refrain from commenting on some of the other stuff over there. But the point is that he was the only person vulnerable to being fired, and so he had to go of course. My point being that Mayor Ma hardly stood up for foreigners in this case, and it is a very good example of how Ma is much less ‘foreigner-friendly’ than people make him out to be.

I don’t agree with you. I don’t think it was a question of being the only person vulnerable to be fired, but rather that it was entirely – entirely – his fault that the piece was there.
The L.A. kid’s an asshole, obviously, but that’s all. He wrote it but he didn’t run it. The supervisor didn’t know what it said, so he can hardly be blamed – that’s what he has a native-speaking editor for. So who does that leave?
Maybe it’s just a difference of opinion over what a “firing piece” is, but that one, on a city gubmint site, is one, IMO.
What would you have had Ma Ma do? “We let him off because he’s a furriner.”

Put it this way, everyone else got off, why shouldn’t the foreigner?

I guess I’m a bit cynical from being here so long. I just assumed that despite his title, he had no real authority over what gets run.

If he did, I’ll agree with you. I haven’t seen his defense yet either. That sounds pretty suspect as well.

Err … exactly what does the supervisor do then? He can’t understand English and yet he’s supervising … the production of an English website? Or is he just supervising the guy writing articles for an English website?

This sounds remarkably like “Well the supervisor isn’t qualified to do his job, so we can’t blame him for not doing his job” :loco:

Agreed the article was stupid (nothing more though). But it was wholly in line with the rest of the website - which has been up for months and months. Assuming there is some communication between Boucher and his bosses, they must have known the style of the website, and agreed to it. Note that there had also been complaints about the article for several days before Apple Daily ran the story - so presumably it wasn’t just the English editor who knew about it.

So for them to turn around and pin all the blame on the editor seems a bit rich to me.