Major Mosque shooting in Christchurch NZ

fair enough

In other words, nothing

2 Likes

No. Not nothing. Again, maybe not what you would like, but not nothing.

1 Like

Fair enough. I’ll try another analogy. Millions of people die from smoking related illnesses every year. People are starving while fertile land is used to cultivate tobacco.

However, I like to smoke the occasional cigar.

Is that a better analogy?

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

Because for many people the solution to coming under gunfire for 36 minutes
A: Ban guns
B: Have a gun

Would choose A in a imperfect world.

I might consider something different if the police didn’t have military weapons. Unless…you think guns are the problem unless you have a badge. That idea has worked out when?

Hmmm. I guess they are jittery but goodness :anguished:

sad to see this

4 Likes

That’s ridiculously heavy handed. Is it good to share the video? No. But to give any kind of prison sentence, let alone one just shy of 2 years is fascist. This man’s life will be ruined over a very small lapse in judgment. Hopefully it’s overturned on appeal. Because that’s about the same amount of time you’d serve for vehicular manslaughter.

2 Likes

I don’t understand New Zealand

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with the punishment, but it seems that it was more than just a very small lapse in judgement:

"Philip Arps, who runs a company that uses neo-Nazi imagery, pleaded guilty in April to two charges of distributing objectionable material.

The 44-year-old admitted that the day after the mosque killings, he had sent away the video to have it modified with cross-hairs and a “kill count,” and distributed the unmodified video to 30 people.

Tuesday morning in the Christchurch District Court, judge Stephen O’Driscoll said when Arps was asked for his opinion of the video, he said it was “awesome”.

1 Like

yes, I agree he’s “out there”, but I’d rather know he’s been outed this way as a loser, than have him hiding.
free speech allows the public to see the bad and the good of society’s opinions, instead of stifling the bad, if you can understand my point.
like David Duke in the US. that happened when I was a kid, and it was educational to see KKK was still out there and there were idiots like him with those views.
we can’t always sugar-coat the world’s bad apples.

1 Like

Okay, I didn’t know he’s a neo-Nazi (once again I pay the price of only reading the header). He’s a scumbag then. But the punishment must fit the crime, and the punishment is still way out of wack. If anything it should be a misdemeanor, maybe a couple weeks detention. Definitely not a 2 year felony unless there’s other associated charges the article isn’t making clear.

Yup. He is a scum bag, but being a scum bag isn’t a crime itself. I think punishments should be fair; it seems he was made an example of as a reaction to the shooting.

3 Likes

This isn’t just a garden variety scumbag. Only a person with sociopathic tendencies would take such sick glee in something like this.

I think it’s safe to say that the guy is a bad 'un. The question is whether the sentence is fair.

It feels way to heavy to me. However, I have no idea what happened in court.

Almost 2 years for showing something that has been decided shouldn’t be seen. Sets a precedent for the state to control free speech.

2 Likes

Can’t say. But it seems very possible he sassed the judge or was otherwise rude or flippant, considering he said he considered the video “awesome” right there in court. That’s a good way to screw yourself into a worse sentence.

1 Like

I didn’t realize that was his story. So he broke the law and did it intentionally in support of his warped ideology. Too bad he didn’t get longer.

Wasn’t the law changed after the mass shooting?

He broke a law that wasn’t a law at the time of the offense?