Major Mosque shooting in Christchurch NZ

The bigger problem here was his easy access to heavy weaponry. You get nutters like this in every country.
It’s no surprise he did this in NZ and not Auz because of the more restrictive gun laws in Australia.

Also the cops should have done some background checks on him.

2 Likes

Of course. I think you might get the usual suspects providing tenuous arguments to disagree with this, but it is blindingly obvious.

Actually, thinking about this more, the NRA argue that having armed people makes the place less likely to be attacked. For example, if one school has an armed guard then a nut job will choose to shoot up the school without an armed guard. Perhaps we could extend this to countries. With the open borders most countries have now will the nutcases only move to countries that have easy access to firearms?

1 Like

Where’d you get those stats? I don’t doubt them based on what I know, and it’s a sound point.

It’s not like Islamic terrorism in the West is being shoved under the rug though, terror groups are being ignored, etc.

1 Like

I mean look at the U.S.; it be like that.

That sounds way too high. Either the world is far scarier that I thought or the stat includes everyone killed in wars in Syria, Iraq, Yemen, Nigeria, etc. as well.
Africa and ME countries were and are hotbeds for civil wars regardless of religious allegiances and in most cases religion is just another recruiting tool.
What matters is terrorism in advanced countries IMO. The relevant stat would be the number of extremists coming in with the refugees fleeing war and famine in their home country and the number of terror attacks carried out by those extremists.
Still I think Europe dropped the ball on that. Don’t see a way out for them, they took in way too many conservative Muslims.

9/11 (and its repercussions) still influences our daily lives almost two decades later. And whenever another radical Islamist attack happens in the west it’s talked about just as much as this NZ shooting.

1 Like

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/attacks/attacks.aspx?Yr=Last30

They list each one and seems to check out.

2 Likes

For me it’s become blatantly obvious it’s all about what narrative the media wants to portray and politicians using these events to push their agenda and grab power.

Even if it’s Islamic groups attacking western cities, the narrative becomes how many Muslims are not like that. You see Muslims hugging westerners and holding signs of peaceful message. And then the narrative is how some Muslims are now being targeted after the attack.

I don’t think anyone should be attacked like this. Certainly not for their religious beliefs. But it always becomes a tool to some agenda and bad laws like not being able to say things about Islam.

1 Like

Muslims are not like that. The Paris attackers, the 9/11 attackers, all the other radical Islamists are about as representative of all Muslims as the nationalist, white supremacists (such as the NZ shooter, Norway terrorist Anders Breivik, Dylann Roof, and the ‘Tree of Life’ synagogue shooter) are of Christianity. Who in the media is saying all Christians are like that?? If any news outlet is making that claim they are probably not mainstream and they definitely deserve condemnation.

And if Muslims are getting randomly attacked in retaliation for recent terror attacks, that’s not driving a narrative… that’s reporting the news.

2 Likes

I’ve read Andrew 0409’s post three times to try to see where he states that all Muslims are like that.

Could you be more specific?

The implication seems to be that “narrative” is wrong or shouldn’t be reported.

2 Likes

Fuck this nonsense. Andrew0409 - do you have a problem with Muslims?

Some Muslims are not like that. Many are, you can look at the numbers yourself. Attacks in the name of Islam make up an alarming chunk of violent attacks in the world.

News would be presenting th facts. If you haven’t notice, the media isn’t big on fact check these days. And that goes for liberal and conservative media. They’re all so biased and have a narrative and only gives the news they find that fit. If Muslims attack, watch it become about protecting Muslims with some laws that are clearly against western democratic values. If they get attacked, same thing gets pushed.

Such as? Any examples of laws that have been passed that are simultaneously aimed at protecting Muslims and are also against Western democratic values?

I have a problem with Islam. I think it’s the mother load of bad ideas. Most of them goes against western democratic values. Islam isn’t just a religion, it’s laws and a way of governance. A lot of the laws “protecting” Muslims end up infringing on rights we enjoy like free speech.

2 Likes

I hate Islam. Even more so than the Catholic Church.

What that says about my tolerance is open to debate.

1 Like

We discussed this recently–it was a case of an existing blasphemy law in Austria. It was enacted in 1974 I believe.

1 Like

So in other words, Andrew’s link is “fake news.”

And you are (thinking, or is it already?) moving to Malaysia?
Dude, you really messed up your priority. Malaysia not gonna be less conservative in a hundred years or so.