Major thunderstorm

Just got the power cut for about 10-15 minutes … three loud bangs closeby within a few minutes … must have hit a transformer or something … still cracking and banging outside …

This last one banged the shit out of me … just across the road … 30 seconds ago

Yea it’s raining cats and dogs out here in Zhong He and the flashes haven’t really stopped for a good half hour.

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]Just got the power cut for about 10-15 minutes … three loud bangs closeby within a few minutes … must have hit a transformer or something … still cracking and banging outside …

This last one banged the shit out of me … just across the road … 30 seconds ago[/quote]

Mine going soon, I can feel it. Huge lightning strikes just out on the road. Playing with my nervous system.
Off to prepare flashlights, snackage, and secure the perimeter…

Here it’s over … moved on north east …

Oh ohw … still rumbling in the distance

Anywhere online where you can find decent doppler of Taiwan?

Jdson and I have been sitting on the dark watching it!’

whooohoooooo

Hasn’t made it this far south yet, although we did get a fantastic sunset. The moon’s out at the moment, so I may have to wait a while.

wouldn’t call it wonderful… but… you can try http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V5e/index.htm then click “observations” and “radar”…

I caught a glimpse of three seperate water spouts off the coast of Hualien yesterday. Looked like tornadoes to me but I was assured that they are a bit more harmless. Still, seeing a funnel cloud in the distance is a little uneasy.

Water spouts are not less dangerous, they are tornados after all … the fact that there are no buildings in their path makes them less distructive, but any boat hit will capsize …

Anyways, the weather is building up again … expecting the thunderstorms to start soon …

It’s a black and white sky across the river.

It’s a black and white sky across the river.[/quote]

Right … this is how it looked from here … the build-up …

Rain falling on my balcony …

wow…I like the picture of rain falling on your balcony. Beautiful!!

I hope it won’t rain torrentially when I leave my office, it is not fun riding in the rain.

Water spouts are not less dangerous, they are tornados after all … the fact that there are no buildings in their path makes them less distructive, but any boat hit will capsize …

Anyways, the weather is building up again … expecting the thunderstorms to start soon …[/quote]
Less dangerous would be a relative term I think. They move slower and die out quicker on account that they suck up water rather than dirt. Still, I saw a trawler turned to matchwood by a waterspout once.

The view from my window … 5 minutes ago :frowning:

Before the rain …

You guys just sat and watched it! I was on the scooter in the thick of it. Most impressive. Very wet too.

I caught another beauty while cycling on Sunday that swallowed us all the way along the high ridge between LaLaShan and MingChe, going to Ilan. Three inches of water on the road, no visibility, thunder and lightning and crazy gusty winds. I’d never ridden in rain like that before, it was actually painful at times.

Love the storms here… come on, typhoon!

To ride in typhoon–being pushed around by strong wind and being busy dodging falling objects is fun!!

It’s like first-person action PC game!

the rain is so heavy in taoyuan right now that it almost looks like hail …

Waterspouts are nearly always far weaker than tornadoes because of the conditions in which they form. Although a water spout is considered a tornado if it makes landfall (and is classes by the USNWS as simply a tornado over water), the vast majority are still generally far weaker than a tornado which has occurred over land. A tornadic waterspout occurs over land and then passes onto water.
Boats frequently survive waterspout encounters for the simple reason that waterspouts usually occur under “fair weather” conditions, ie: convective cumulus (which is common in the tropics) instead of between two colliding fronts - as is usually the case with tornadoes.
Waterspouts are more readily compared to dust devils than tornadoes and manage a “0” on the Fujita scale. This coupled with the fact that they move very slowly if at all, makes them very benign.