Mandatory Military Age

Hi, I’m planning to move back to Taiwan next January.
I’m 39 male who was born in Taiwan, but my parents immigrated to the USA when I was 2. Been in USA since I was 2. Plan is to move back to Taiwan for my company and work there. Wanted to get my Taiwan citizenship back and work as a Taiwanese citizen.
Question: Will I have to do the mandatory military service? I see there are different age maximums. Anyone will knowledge of how this works? Greatly appreciate your help.

No. After 35 you do not.

No.

Conscription age is till December of the year in which you turn 36.

You have one-year grace period, beginning the day next to your return to the Republic of China if you previously had a household registration, or beginning the day next to your initial household registration following your return to the Republic of China if you have never had a household registration.

Act Of Military Service System

Article 3
A man aged 18 starts his military service day from January 1st of the proceeding year and be discharged on December 31st of the year at the age of 36, called the Male’s Service Age. However, the discharged age of fficers , NCOs and volunteer soldiers are not restricted to this rule.
The so-called Man of Approaching Service Age refers to the period from January 1st of the proceeding year of a man of 15 years old, to December 31st of the year he reaches the age of 18.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info, this is the only time i’m glad i’m older

Hi Tando,

First, thanks for so many helpful posts.

Second, I wanted to get your opinion on the 1-year grace period part, because I think it could help other people.

I read this law in Chinese: 歸化我國國籍者及歸國僑民服役辦法-全國法規資料庫

In 第三條二項, it uses the term 僑民. My assumption is that this refers to people that register as Overseas Chinese with the special passport marking. Since not every NWOHR may be eligible to apply for this for various reasons (i.e. maybe already lived in Taiwan for a year or two), does that mean that not quite every NWOHR can assume they can use this grace period, and those who want to use it must first make sure they apply for this 僑民 status?

If it helps, it looks like I posted this before and forgot: