🗺 Maps | Cool Maps of Taiwan

USAAF Target maps, Formosa 1944-45

http://gis.rchss.sinica.edu.tw/GIArchive/?p=2457&fbclid=IwAR0VAmK872sYN_y-ctYo7G1O4xYqpIC8fDKRBqrtFkuZbvHzW0Osco2Nm20

3 Likes

Reviving this interesting thread—kudos to @hannes for starting it—to include this map entitled “Our East Asian Neighbors” by Yap Ko-hua (葉高華), who now teaches at National Sun Yat-sen University.

Source: https://twitter.com/TaiwanSpecial/status/1563354496860049408?cxt=HHwWgMDStbiok7IrAAAA

More about Dr Yap’s fascinating approach to his work can be found in this informative article:

https://www.taiwan-panorama.com.tw/Articles/Details?Guid=beb1c6b4-7e39-43b9-8b03-ba0e621d7d9b&langId=3&CatId=10

Guy

1 Like

My American friend just sent me this. I’m guessing it’s been posted before but it my first time seeing this cool map.

12 Likes

A bunch of food and rocks to climb.

1 Like

Very cool

1 Like

If you squint it looks like a 69

I wonder why it’s called a tourist map, when a lot of the pictures only show the main agriculture products of places, instead of what would interest tourists.

For example, they didn’t even show a drawing of the Queen’s head for Yeliu.

I also can’t figure out what these transparent boxes are supposed to be.

Is the main product of this place… ice?

The paintings of aboriginal clothes are also pretty inaccurate. The map also featured very little tourist locations in the mountains.

Is one of these supposed to be the Jade Mountain? because neither looks like the Jade Mountain.

4 Likes

Interesting that they used the presidential office as a picture for a tourist destination when it wasn’t open to the public until decades later.

1 Like

Was it acceptable to walk by it and take photos?

1 Like

Looks like the artist got Fu Long in the wrong place, unless it is for the woman sunbathing.
Screenshot (283)

2 Likes

I was intetested in where they showed the beaches. While there are beaches in those places some have been destroyed by industrial development e.g. Taoyuan /Miaoli/Taichung.

And the most popular beaches such as in Kending are not marked at all , except for Fulong.

Back then I believe most beaches were off limits to the general public anyway

They have a shark going around Xiao Liu Qiu but no turtles.

Whales off the South coast.

3 Likes

In '69 during the martial law period? Ha, you wish. You would have been interrogated and your camera confiscated.

3 Likes

The first time the presidential palace was opened to the public since the KMT occupation of Taiwan and the presidents moving in happened back in 1994 by LTH.

According to an interview of the documentary film maker Ngôo Iāu-tong (吳耀東), who made a documentary about the presidential palace, when he took a photo of the building back in 1992 as a college student, he was stopped and interrogated by the military police. So you can imagine what would have happened if you tried to pull that stunt back in 1969.

3 Likes

I think you’re forgetting how clueless the Taiwanese tourism industry can be at times? I can’t imagine they were much better in 1969…

https://theme.taiwan.net.tw/voucher/

Don’t know either. Maybe Formosa Plastics had a regional distribution warehouse there that the tourism board wanted to promote? Buy two plastic boxes and save 20%, exclusive offer for international visitors, that kind of thing.

2 Likes

In the middle of the mountains sandwiched between Hsinchu, Taoyuan, and Yilan? It’s on the Northern Cross-island Highway, near the unlabeled popular tourist spot Lala mountain.

1 Like

I of course wasn’t being entirely serious, but maybe a Forumosa Plastics landfill/waste disposal site then?

2 Likes

I reckon it’s supposed to be a quarry. tourist site lol.

2 Likes

Love how there’s a picture of a woman sunbathing in Kaohsiung but not in Kenting.

Go K-town!

1 Like

quartz then?

1 Like

Interestingly, there is a place called 龍眼水 near Kenting on the map. I have no idea where that is supposed to be today. The place labeled as 水泉 under that first place is still named that.

Curiously, I found a place called 大乳乳… hmm…

5 Likes