šŸ—ŗ Maps | Cool Maps of Taiwan

Marble

1 Like

Itā€™s the area where you need to make that left turn at that one uncontrolled intersection where nobody lets you through, to get to å¾Œå£ę¹– for the ferry to Green Island and Orchid Island.

Not much in that area, other than the very frustrating intersection.

3 Likes

I like the quarry answer, but the artist clearly drew the top cuboid as hollow/transparentā€¦unless thatā€™s an error?

2 Likes

I found it on google map too. Too bad they changed the name. 龍ēœ¼ę°“ sounds a lot more fun.

1 Like

A perfect Kenting road trip

5 Likes

Would most of the tourists have been R&R GIs from Vietnam?

1 Like

Beside the ā€˜box/slabsā€™ there are some round curiosities aswell. Any idea what they are?

2 Likes

Accurate or not, that is one cool-looking map, in my opinion.

Looking for references to Daruru ( :slight_smile: ) somehow eventually led me to this,

äø­å¤®ē ”ē©¶é™¢äŗŗē¤¾äø­åæƒåœ°ē†č³‡č؊ē§‘å­ø專锌ē ”ē©¶äø­åæƒ ,

which is also cool, but I think it would take a lifetime for me to figure it out.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know. Itā€™s unlikely Iā€™ll be making a day trip over there to find out what the tourist attraction is/was thoughā€¦

Taiwanā€™s first knock-off Polo mint factory?

It was already called 大乳乳 in 1904 when the Japanese made this map. Also, it would appear the 龍ēœ¼ę°“ on the 1969 map is a typo, since the 1904 map also says é¾ę³‰ę°“, just like Google map today.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info!

It reminds me of this:

ā€“Grand Teton - Wikipedia

2 Likes

where do i get a voucher?

Another curiosity, which I see down at the bottom, below the map proper, are the characters å·–ę˜Ÿäøƒ (yĆ”n xÄ«ng qÄ«), followed by the Romanized Chinese word Chishinyen:

Originally I thought that was a personā€™s name, or at least a pseudonym (Rock Star Seven?), so I went Googling around the Internet trying to find information about him or her. :upside_down_face:

In the process I learned a little bit about this manā€“

ā€“because he visited Taiwan:

https://www.toyo.ac.jp/site/haken/90321.html

Then I finally somehow stumbled on some information about the Vele Rete rocks:

Qixingyan (Taiwan) - Wikipedia

So I guess image refers to those coral reefs.

Edited to add: I Googled around some more and found out that those reefs/rocks have somewhat of a history.

1 Like

When did that become a tourist attraction?

But yeah, looking at the map I got the impression it was more about what to find in terms of produce than anything else.

Maybe thatā€™s what tourists did in Taiwan back in 1969.

Tourist: We want to have fun!

KMT: No! You will visit our production facilities and buy products from us to sell back home!

Tourist: Okayā€¦ umā€¦ one semiconductor please!

1 Like

Queenā€™s Head is a landmark mushroom rock formation at Yehliu Geopark. Between 1962 and 1963, the top concretion split to give the stone its current graceful form. Seen from a distance, the rock resembles a bust of Queen Elizabeth with a long slender neck and beautiful facial lines, hence the name. The neck of the rock has thinned with natural weathering over the decades. Plans are now underway to reinforce the rock to ensure it survives as a landmark for years to come.

Maybe it took some time to get some traction, after that splitā€¦

2 Likes

I asked ChatGPT and it made up 2 hilarious answers, while giving one likely but unconfirmed answer.

Edit:
I just checked with StreetView, maybe number 2 isnā€™t as silly an answer as I thought.

2 Likes

Good work!

There is also Fairy Cave in the area

1 Like

Posted by Michael Turton on FB today:

Japanese era map of oil fields

2 Likes