Marriage to a Taiwanese who has dual citizenship - HOW?

We also thought that it would be easy if we got married in Taiwan but no, it was a nightmare for us.
The Taiwan embassy in Philippines will definetly advice you to marry her in Philippines first.

I believe foreigners on tourist visa or on visa exemption can marry in Taiwan. Whether it is the best way for getting a residency for the spouse is a different story.

okay now I’m confused. i really thought it would be easier to get married here. i also really prefer getting married here than in Philippines.

or maybe it was hard for you because you guys are both foreigners in Taiwan? @Spicycheek

i also read this topic. and it seems like its easier for them getting married here in Taiwan

Anyway you need to resister your marriage in her country, Philippines, and she needs to return home once to get a visa there for her residency.

And did you read this thread?

I have talked to several colleagues of mine with Taiwanese husbands because I was trying to get some advice about my situation.

It might be different in some processes (us both being foreigners and you as a dual citizen) but the similar here is you will get a Filipino bride. So you will deal with the Philippine government.

Anyway you can try to marry her in Taiwan and after that you have to register your marriage in Philippines. It may take 3-6months to wait for the PSA registration.

Or maybe set aside your Filipino citizen and marry her as a Taiwanese one. That might be easier.

@tando ok it seems like, it is more complicated if both parties are foreigners in Taiwan.
but on the thread i shared, he married a Taiwanese which makes it a little easier though a lot of process also, but easier. which is almost the same with my situation cuz i am a Taiwanese.

@Spicycheek
so i guess what we could do is get married here in Taiwan. have it registered also in Philippines. Then my gf/wife has to return to Philippines to apply for JFRV then after that she could come back to Taiwan and we could start applying for her ARC.

is my understanding correct?

yes! @Spicycheek that was my plan, to set aside my Filipino, and marry her here as Tawainese, that’s what i really want.

1 Like

Please ask any household registration office here if a Filipino with a tourist visa can get married in Taiwan. Just to make sure.

1 Like

That’s much better!
Tell your bride to start getting CENOMAR and birth certificate and make it authenticated by ASEANA DFA.

:+1:

1 Like

yeah okay, maybe we’ll do that after i propose haha. sorry guys if i asked earlier. i just want to be prepared. but it seems clear to me now. thank you for all your inputs haha​:blush::blush: :heart: :heart:

:handshake:
Goodluck.
Keep in touch about your marriage progress.

thanks I’ll updatr you guys when we get there :grinning::blush:

To Mod,
I decided to cross post this here. If it violates the no multipost rule, please remove this post.

getting married and registering the marriage are different things.

I believe a citizen and a foreigner can get married in Taiwan, unless the regulation has been changed.

Instructions for applying to notarize a marriage
https://www.judicial.gov.tw/QnA/en_content.asp?seq=248
As of Jan. 7, 2006

To register the marriage in Taiwan, it should be registered in the foreign spouse’s country.

No worries, Tando. :slight_smile:

it’s been too long. i am now engage :blush:
but I’m confused. i was just here at the household Registration and they told me that my filipino gf and I can’t get married here in Taiwan. we’re supposed to get married first in Philippines then have the marriage contract translated and authenticated then have it process here.

do guys have any idea about this? they said this is the new rule. but I’m not sure because my gf is working on a events venue and she has a lot of client with the same situation with us, but they got married first in taiwan.

The information they gave you is incorrect. You don’t have to marry abroad.

Get all the documents required in order and marry in Taiwan.
You can even marry if she is on Tourist Visa. But then she has to leave the country and apply for JFRV to get her ARC.

I assume you have Household Registration after reading your previous posts.

Article 5 of 戶政事務所辦理結婚登記作業規定 requests marriage abroad for foreign spouses from certain countries.

List of the 22 countries. In Chinese.

特定國家配偶來臺申請依親簽證手續說明
https://www.boca.gov.tw/dl-1763-c5577d44615748648d774fff51ec5a85.html

The countries are, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines, Myanmar, Senegal, Nigeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Gambia, Pakistan, Mongol, Belarus, Ukraine, Uzbek, Kazakh, India, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, and Bangladesh. As of 2018 Dec 10.

I think some of my old posts may be wrong.

1 Like