Martial Arts Class

I don’t know anything about martial arts. My body type is not so big and strong either. However I always wanted to learn some basic skill/techniques, particularly for the point of view of health, exercise, and self-defense, and mental satisfaction.

Anybody have any suggestions where I might take classes?

Much thanks in advance

Check the archives for a number of different threads on this topic. You might also want to seek out chainsmoker via private message. He knows a great deal about what is available in the Taipei area.

Body type doesn’t really matter to most martial art forms. I used to practice Wing Chung. It’s a great form. You should check it out. “chainsmoker” knows what I am talking about. As far as I know, he used to take classes from a great instructor in the Taipei area. Good luck.

If anyone reading this post knwos where in Taipei I might be able to take Wu style (yes, I only want Wu style) Tai Qi classes, or even a good contact to find out, I’d be very grateful. (Doesn’t have to be able to speak English, as my Chiense is good enough.)

Brian

there have been a lot of threads on this. Maybe I will try to put something together for the KB section (probably won’t).

A lot of people hang around 228 park doing push hands, light sparring and the like on Sundays 10am-4pm. That is a good place to ask around about different styles. I will see if I can find some good Wu style classes.

TM, I would advise you to look around and think about why you want to study MA. You aren’t going to learn to much about self-defence or fighting without hard, non-cooperative training. Not that much available around Taiwan. On the other hand, if you find something interesting that is fun, you might as well do it. Just don’t be afraid to try something else if it ceases to be fun. Don’t buy into any master/style bullshit. MA is just an activity like bowling or playing guitar. Focus on learning, having fun and looking at everything available honestly and you will probably get a lot out of it.

Thanks for everyone’s advice. Perhaps I don’t know how to work the search engine here yet, but I couldn’t find any previous threads on martial arts. Or perhaps its not as a big topic for the English-speaking community here. You are right chainsmoker - I need to first find out the various types of MA available and find one that suits me. Do you have any recommendations on a type to try out that would be better suited towards those with weak body strength?

hi, i am seriously considering set up up some muay thai…thaistyle boxing classes in taipei. i’m experienced in both teaching and competition…and have fought at international level.
Thai boxing is a fun and very useful way of getting fit and learing to take care of yourself…there are no useless moves in thai boxing and typically, people can geta reasonable grasp of the basics very quickly…if anyone is interested i will see about arranging something.

[quote]A lot of people hang around 228 park doing push hands, light sparring and the like on Sundays 10am-4pm. That is a good place to ask around about different styles. I will see if I can find some good Wu style classes.
[/quote]

I would appreciate that Chainsmoker. I just don’t really know who to ask, how to ask, and how to know who is a good teacher.

For the poster(s), here’s a few I know about.

An American called Michael who (very) occasionally posts here under the name of Peacewarrior (I think) has an Aikido Dojo in Neihu. Aikido is a Japanese ‘soft’ style (which means it focuses more on using you opponents energy against them etc).

A lot of foeigners study with a guy who’s supposed to be pretty good and teaches Wing Chun, which sounds interesting. I think it’s related to Shaolin style Kung Fu, but was developed so that women could use it without being at a disadvantage because of their lack of strength.

A friend of mine studied Ba Gua (a sister martial art to Tai Qi) under a teacher who’s supposed to be good, and has classes on the Sth side of CKS Hall in the evenings.

You’ll have to search or ask around for contact details on any of these.

Brian

TM,

There is an Aikido session every Sunday afternoon at the Minsheng Community Center, located at the corner of Minsheng E Rd. and San Min Rd. The 1:00 - 3:00 session is a more General/Family oriented style and would be a good place to begin. We get a nice mix of people and levels in this session.

The 3:00 - 5:00 session tends to be harder and incorporates aspects from other Martial Arts. This is geared more for the experienced person or someone who wants more intensity. In this session we incorporate more Aiki Jujutsu and weapons into the training.

We also hold trainings up in the mountains near Neihu every morning from 6:30-8:00 and Mon, Wed, Fri evenings 8:00 - 10:00. These sessions tend to be more intense but new people would be welcome.

Aikido uses the opponents own energy against them as well as a wide variety of joint manipulations to take down and control an aggresor. When you begin Aikido the focus is on how to fall correctly and protect yourself when being thrown, as you progress you learn more about blending with and then turning around the oncoming attack. With the Aiki Jujutsu techniques it becomes a very intense and formidable Martial Art, though it does tend to take longer to learn then other Martial Arts.

You can contact me or visit our website for more information.

Michael
aikdo@heaven-earth.com
http://www.heaven-earth.com

Check out this link…
adamhsu.com/links.html

I’m at the one that says Dragon kung fu school. I only go on Tuesdays,Thursday and Saturdays from 7-9, but there are classes every evening. There’s also a class on Sunday at the Sun Yat Sen Memorial Park. I’m the only non-local at the moment so the classes are in Chinese, but apparently there are some foreigners in the Sunday classes and they can help out (if you need it, of course :smiley: ).

I’m studying praying mantis kung fu, but they can teach different styles.
There are also a few other links to check out…

Are you at this school?

http://www.kungfuloung.com.tw/engloung7.htm

I’m thinking about starting up Kung Fu and would be interested in hearing anyone’s opinions on it. The website seems a little strange, but I thought I’d check it out.

Matt

That website sucks. Their payment systems seem to be needlessly expensive and complicated.

[quote=“Southpaw”]hi, I am seriously considering set up up some muay thai…thaistyle boxing classes in Taipei. I’m experienced in both teaching and competition…and have fought at international level.
Thai boxing is a fun and very useful way of getting fit and learing to take care of yourself…there are no useless moves in thai boxing and typically, people can geta reasonable grasp of the basics very quickly…if anyone is interested I will see about arranging something.[/quote]

I am very interested in training again. I have been trying to track down the San Shou team in Taipei but I think I am on a wild goose chase. I need to get back into a routine of working out. What did you have in mind Grasshopper? Did you check out the San Da school that also trains out of the Ming Shen community center?

For the tuition fee of a large Super Supau I will meet a discuss various elements of martial arts for anyone interested.

PM for details

Chainsmoker, what is a fair hourly rate for kung fu classes? I saw the website and it seems very expensive as I’m only paying about 200 per hour now. I pay 5000 for a month and I attend 6 hours a week (I’m also entitled to 2 more hours on Sunday mornings, but there’s no way I’m waking up that early!).
The school itself is a little small and dirty, but the classes at SYS are cool.

I dunno. That seems awful expensive to me unless it’s one on one. I think about NT2000-3000/month is more reasonable. It’s only kung-fricken-fu for gosh sake. Actually, I think people should be able to charge whatever they want, but I don’t like it when prices are broken down to belts, forms, sets, special-super-classes, etc. I personally see no reason why charges shouldn’t be monthly and the same for all students unless there is one on one tutoring involved.

What do you guys think about this one? Their website is far better, therefore the school must be, true?

http://wingchun.iscool.net/

[quote]What do you guys think about this one? Their website is far better, therefore the school must be, true?

wingchun.iscool.net/[/quote]

Yeah, he’s the nephew of Yip Man (Bruce Lee’s teacher), if that means anything. Of all the Chinese styles, Wing Chun is probably one of the more practical. Just from what I understand. Never studied it. Wanted to, but I lived in Taichung. Shuai-jiao is supposed to be really bad-ass too – they teach it to the military and police. You’d have to ask around, though. I once found an american teaching it at some police academy in Taipei, but I don’t have the info anymore.

Chainsmoker, that only works out to about 125 an hour, though. We’re 2 in the class during the week, and 6 on Saturdays.
But that wingchun school also looks cool. Maybe I should go check out if it’s cleaner.

I really can’t tell you. If you like it, it’s fine. I’m sure most places that study Taibo are clean.