Martial Arts Class

I assume there’s a proliferation of Chinese martial arts training facilities in Taiwan, but I was wondering about finding an instructor who speaks good enough English to convey ideas and concepts. Preferably in Taipei, but any information would be useful. Thanks…

I can hardly bring myself to say this, but there is actually more martial arts information on Tealit than there is here on Forumosa. Try clicking over to tealit.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=8

You can even find a couple of old posts by me there, but you won’t find any new ones - I’m banned.

To find other Forumosa threads related to martial arts, search for “martial”

For martial arts equipment info, click here.

FYI I have done bits and pieces of the following martial arts (in chronological order): boxing, judo, keishinkan karate, Yang style taijiquan and sword, changquan, baguazhang, bajiquan, qinna, nameless Chinese thug militia kung fu, tongbeiquan, drunken sword, shorinji kempo, Chen style taijiquan, shotokan karate. The one I have spent the most time on is Yang taiji; my personal favorite is tongbeiquan; the one I actually ended up using in a street fight was judo; the art I would most like to try but never have is piguaquan. For whatever reason I have done almost no martial arts since coming to Taiwan.

TM,

There are many types of marital arts. You need to find one based on your goals and needs. I take aikido, and I really like it as it’s not aggressive, not competitive, etc. However, I am looking into trying another martial art to complement it. (No martial art is perfect, so it’s good to train in more than one. However, you should focus on one for a few years before switching/adding to your training.)

Aikido is usually under/around 1,200/month (not including testing fees and the like) for about 3 classes per week (from 1 to 1.5 hours/class). There are many places to learn it. So you can look for a school in your neighborhood. Kung-fu styles can be more expensive, but if you like it, it’s a healthy way to spend your money (as opposed to clubbing all the time).

You’ll slowly become a little stronger and develop your endurance with any form of exercise. If you want to become stronger/bigger in the process, maybe you could look into judo. The guys there get stronger over time, but it can be a rough workout and injuries are somewhat common (knees seem to get it pretty bad…).

Gotta go! Good luck in your search for a martial art.

Greg

Aikido is the way to go. It is argueably the most useful of all martial arts. Judo is also very useful. The nice thing about Aikido is that size does not matter. My instructor’s kids have no trouble putting me on the mat and I’m 6 foot 4 inches and 230lbs! :blush: Great discipline to learn.

The best way to go is to attend class but also get a private instrutor. Also find some activity that strengthens your wrists. :sunglasses:

I wouldn’t go so far as saying aikido is the most useful martial art. It really depends on your instructor. I would not go to the official ROC Aikikai Association (he-qi-dao xie-hui), because they end up charging an arm and a leg and make you eventually practice their style (not official aikikai style. Yes, they’re shamelessly fraudulent.). For these reasons, they have lost most of their instructors. The main one remaining in Taipei is Ms. Wang Xiu-juan. She sucks, both in terms of personality and teaching abilities! However, many of the instructors have gone over to the “he-qi-dao xie-jin-hui.” Some of them are really good. There seems to be a few other associations/independent aikido instructors out there as well, but I don’t know much, if anything, about most of them.

To my understanding, aikido and judo both came from ju-jitsu. Too bad there isn’t a good school in downtown Taipei for it. Aikido includes many movements that would be classified as “qin-na shu” as well as throwing. I don’t know much about shuai-jiao, but it seems like it would be a decent martial art as well.

If money is a factor, “shop around.” Just because a school is expensive, doesn’t mean that it’s the best one out there. Remember, each instructor (even of the same martial art) is different. If you don’t like his/her personality/style, then you should move on to another one that you do like.

“Jia you!”

Greg

Useful… that would all depend on what use you need it for.

streetfighting? probably not. better with boxing, grappling disciplines, but how many of us are actually street brawlers?

but if what you want is a good discipline for conditioning, a peaceful philosophy, but still invigorating practice, then most forms of Aikido might be suitable for you.

You should also contact forumosa member Chainsmoker, who though he would never admit it, probably has more martial arts expertise in his pinkie finger than the rest of us combined.

why not try what the rest of the world are learning! the most effective ground fighting system… Gracie (brazilian) jiu-jitsu

you should be able to find some info here:
groups.msn.com/TaiwanBrazilianJiujitsuClub

Why do y’all like martial arts? What is it that draws you to it?
Health?
Being able to smash a fools face into the concrete?
Relaxation?
Competition?
Something else?

Just curious. I’m just a young buck, but have a few years of experience under my belt. I started out watching ninja movies and wanting to do all of those high flying stunts that I saw (gymnastics took care of that :sunglasses: ). Then watching Shaw bros. (Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, etc.) movies got me into the kungfu crazyness. Now I’m a little laid back and when I do practice I be practicing the 37 short form (I tinks tats what dey call it).

I haven’t had any experience with Akido, but it seems really cool from what I’ve read about it. I’ve only had a little experience with Judo, but that (and Taekwando) seems to be the best art for competition (most world wide standards, etc.). I had friends back home that were into Jujitsu and I loved throwing them around the mats (that’s all I can do, I don’t know any fancy holds).

As far as Chinese martial arts go, which ever one you get into make sure you get a strong foundation in the basics (holding stances, doing your kicks and punches, etc.) I’ll share the line that I follow handed down to me from an oldschool grandmaster (not directly).

“Every fight should be 1,2,3. If it’s not 1,2,3 you need to pratice more.”

One more line I love (I can’t remeber who to credit it to though, maybe someone can help).

“9mm make you instant grandmaster.”

To my understanding, aikido and judo both came from ju-jitsu. Too bad there isn’t a good school in downtown Taipei for it- qintaiwan

traditional japanese ju-jitsu, no. However, there are brazilian jiu-jitsu clubs set up north center and south of taiwan. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in the past ten years have grown significantly due to it’s effectiveness on the ground… BJJ is and will continue to evolve in improving its effectiveness… and for those that are interested in training can visit the msn group mentioned above… and can also check out www.baxiroushu.com with info in both chinese and english.

Any Karate schools in Taipei?

There is a twice-weekly Jijitsu class in my building. I live in Chingmei.

PM for details. It’s run by a friend and the instructor is an ABC guy formally trained in Brasilian Jijitsu.

PM for details.

What does “PM” mean? I hope that it means that you’ll post the details soon (as to class days, time and location…). :stuck_out_tongue: Is it a guy named Eric? There is a guy at CA Fitness that is really into Brazilian jujitsu as well, but I think he’s Chinese-Canadian.

I’ll post the details shortly.

Re, the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: we have class on Sunday mornings, 10 til 12, and practice on Thursday nights, 8.30 til 10. The practice session may be moved to a more convenient time, and we may have an extra class and/or practice session soon.
Price is NT$200 for class, NT$100 for practice. Joining fee is NT$1,000 and helps pay for mats. It’s a club, not a business, so there is no profit being made. Extra cash will be put back into the club in some way or other.
We also have clubs in Taichung and Kaohsiung. People can e-mail for info.
Cheers mate. We’ll look after Jenny for you while you’re gone. You’re not off to meet Steve and Sasha, are you???
Sean

sean_mccormack_@hotmail.com

Eric is really cool, i’ve only met him once, but talked a few times on the phone with him. He trains in San-Da and also grappling, i think he is back in canada and doing some grappling training. Later in the year, there should be a more formal grappling school in taipei taught by black belts. Right i’m the one “leading” the training brazilian jiujitsu sessions in jing-mei, again it’s a club, so i urge anyone who is interested in getting some training but don’t want to invest in a ton of money to drop by, everyone and anyone are more than welcome to. I’ll also be hosting a brazilian jiujitsu tournament at the end of september in Taichung, with jiujitsu players from hong kong, beijing, north,center, and south taiwan. i’ve left a link of the message board on the previous page… we welcome any comments and suggestions.
warren

There is an article in today’s (Saturday’s) Apple Daily (Pinguo Ribao) about a western guy who teaches martial arts (looks like aikido) in Taiwan.

taipei bjj club is training on sunday mornings and welcome anyone to come and join us… especially anyone with prior experience.

taichung bjj club trains monday, wed, and friday nights… first trial training session is free… and we welcome anyone to come regardless of their experience or MA background… and are very happy to share and learn together… one thing however. PLEASE leave the attitudes at home! any bad blood or attitudes will be asked to leave.

For the guys in kaoshiung… don’t fret… there is a club down there as well…
oh…also in tainan… no formal club yet! but there is a guy there who is willing to train and instruct!

again…you can also take a look out the msn group groups.msn.com/TaiwanBrazilianJi … tsnew.msnw
… some info their on training time, contact info. and bjj history…

warren

ps. sorry for advertizing like this… but believe me, this isn’t for profit… but all out of the passion for this sport.

I’m a second-degree black belt in Okinawan Isshinryu Karate (been training for about 11 years, certified instructor in the Isshinryu World Karate Association, based in Gushikawa City, Okinawa), and also did some training in taijiquan, Emeishan qigong, qinna, etc. when I was living in the mainland. I’m also very interested in the study of tuite (pressure-point grappling) and some of the more “esoteric” stuff. If there’s anyone out there who’s interested and would like to train together (not beginners), perhaps we can try to find a place and have some workouts, classes or whatever.

I’m looking for some Kung Fu classes in Taichung. I have time in the morning, but I’m not sure if schools are open then. I’d also like an instructor that speaks a little bit of English as my Chinese is very poor. Please let me know if you have any information that can help me. Thanks.