Martial arts - schools,teachers

Wow! Great pics. I didn’t know that he actually had a school. I thought he always practiced in the park. Lots of weapons in the school. That really shows his specialty. I used to see him and his students practicing in the park. His senior guy used to walk over to a weapons bag, select a weapon at random, then perform a great form right then and there. Then he’d go back, grab another weapon, do the same, and again, and again. The amount of knowledge and skill they had amazed me.

I want to ask you a question privately as well, so please check your PMs.

Thanks for posting the pics!

The oldest MMA, BJJ & submission grappling school in Taiwan has changed names and locations. Gordon’s place is now called Evolution Combat, and is located in Jingmei just off Roosevelt Road slightly south of the Wanlong MRT station. The new gym is spacious, highly-accessible and well-equipped. For further info, check here:

evolutioncombat.com/index.html

Ever seen what 30 years of on the mat martial arts experience looks like? Gord was working his craft up in the Min Sheng Community Center while the rest of us were still trying to think up excuses for why those Karate and Kungfu guys kept getting their asses handed to them in the early UFC’s!

Although the team already has a long and proud history in Taiwan, the spirit has gotten even stronger with its entry into the Kamphuis-Fabricio MMA family.

Thanks for the plug Dan . The new club is shaping up well .

The pro shop is now open and the Cross fit gym will be set up soon. If I have time tomorrow Ill be posting pictures of the top of the line Windy boxing gloves and other things that I’ve got for sale in the pro shop

Also its great having BJJ black belt Emanoel Moreira out here from Brazil.

Wing chun time change
Classes now held in the mornings 10:00am-12:00pm Tuesday and Thursday
Nighttime: 7:30-9:30pm Monday and Thursday

Daan park
NT$1,000 a month (come as much as you want)
call Will at 0930632213 or pm me for more details.

Wing chun update:

We moved from Daan park because…well, I am a lazy bastard and there is a park right next to my new house. The new location is the triangular park just north of Xinyi between Anho and Tonghua St. Anho Rd. Sect. 1, Alley 135.
Class times are Tuesday and Thursday nights 8:00pm-10:00pm.

Taipei Kickboxing (Cheap Hippie Kickboxing)

Classes are very professional and taught by former Danish Kickboxing Champion - Anders Johnsen. It’s a very poupular place to workout, due to it’s big foreigner crowds. Many students come here.

Price is only NT$1000 per month, very very cheap for this spectacular workout! Find website here - cheaphippie.com

Classes are back to morning and night. 10:00-12:00pm mornings on Tuesdays and Thursdays and night time at 8:00-10:00pm Tuesdays and Thursdays. What are the classes? Learn to move like a proper athlete, learn to groove and float like a butterfly. If you can do that, we will talk about kicking some proper booty. Actually, now that I think about it, the classes are kind of weird, better to go with an old Taiwanese master if the opportunity is available. The classes are really too cheap at NT$1000 a month. Don’t worry, if you want to pay more, I started teaching privates and that is totally way expensive - NT$800 an hour. Give me a call at 0930632213 if you have any interest. If there is enough interest I will start teaching how to do some crazy shit using ‘Chi’.
Call and yell “Kungfu is totally awesome!” if you have interest or just call and say hello.
Seriously, sneak by, call or whatever if you are bored by what you are doing. I specialize in women that don’t know how to move, nerds that walk hunched over, people that have studied martial arts way too long, tough guys that annoy their friends and any fool that doesn’t realize that dancing is cooler than martial arts unless you got to throw down (unfortunately it’s usually your drunken nephew or something)

I nominate the above for “Classic Post” status

Does anyone know of any teachers/schools near Kaohsiung? I just recently moved to Pingtung from Taichung, so I have no clue right now.

There is a Martial Arts Club in Kaohsiung:
The Forge
We do BJJ, Muay Thai and Arnis Stickfighting.
Our Brazilian Jiu Jitsu instructor is Tommy Shih, one of only two Brown belts in Taiwan, who trained at the famous TriForce gym in Tokyo Japan. Tommy is the head referee at the Ming Wu MMA Group, who are currently the main driving force of organised MMA in Taiwan. He also owns Blackbelts in Judo and Karate and has extensive Wing Chun experience. Our other intructor is Ben Price a blue belt who has lived and trained with Kazeka Muniz, coach of the UFC’s Matt Bisping.
Our Muay Thai instructor is Burmese-born Coach Ran Lee. He originally trained in Lethwei (Burmese Kickboxing) which is similar in style to Muay Thai kickboxing only they allow headbutts and don’t wear gloves. He then trained at Fairtex Thailand, one of the best Muay Thai gyms that has produced greats like Yodsenklai. Coach Lee also trained in western style Boxing and has been beating up Boxers/Sanda/Kung Fu Fighters on the island (under their rules) for over 10 years now.
Our Stickfighting (Arnis) instructor is Kiko Tenchevez who is a level 4 Arnis Instructor under Filomeno Buena, the current head of LESKAS (Lema Scientific Kali Arnis System). Instructors are level 3 and above, level 5 is “Master” status. He has won various medals including Gold Medal at the World Eskrima Kali Arnis Federation - World Tournament 2004 (Participated by 50 countries).
Our resident good-looking guy is TaidongRudeboy… he’s available for kebab eating seminars.

Email us at forgekaohsiung@yahoo.com for a schedule or look at our website for more information
graciebarra.com.tw

I am planning on moving from Bangkok to Taipei in a few months. Of course the number one priority, perhaps the only priority, is to figure out my recreational activities before I leave. I lived in Beijing for 5 months several years ago, so I have some Chinese language skills, but kind of rusty.

Anyway I am wondering if anyone knows of any sort of resource for finding ITF style Tae Kwon Do schools in Taipei? NOT the sports style (WTF)!! If the instruction is entirely in Chinese that is totally OK. I am used to that, from living and studying at the China National Circus where nobody spoke English at all.

Thanks!

Hey guys

I am looking for wushu in taichung not Taipei please… i have had enough people talking about taipei which is over rated…

If anyone knows a wushu place, please PM me… My legs are getting stiff

Cheers

Hi guys,

As some of you already heard, a Grandmaster of the Philippine Martial
Art called Arnis (some call it Kali or Eskrima) is coming here in
Taiwan to do a seminar. This was originally only for my Kaohsiung Arnis
Team but since this is a rare opportunity (there’s only a few
Grandmasters left), I decided to open the seminar to the public. You
don’t need any experience to join. As long as you really wanna learn,
you are more than welcome.

Arnis is an art that focuses on Stick, knife, and empty hands fighting.
There are tons of videos you can search on youtube if you are not
familiar with this art. The Grandmaster that will come here is Filomeno
Buena. He has been my teacher for 7 years and I can assure you, he is
one of a kind. Many foreigners from different martial arts background
usually come to our gym in the Philippines to learn from him. Given
this, I am invting you to grab this rare opportunity. Aside from being
a Grandmaster in Arnis, his accomplishments include:

Graduate, Advanced Course in Military Science and Tactics
Reserved Officers’ Training Corps, University of the Philippines

Graduate, Individual Proficiency Awardee and Elected
Team Leader
Scout Ranger and Unconventional Warfare Orientation Course,
Home Defense, Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Project

Former Training Division Commander, Ranger Chief and
Chief Combatives CInstructor
Rainbow Ranger Division of Volunteers, Armed Forces of the Philippines

Former Training Brigade Commander, Ranger Chief and
Chief Combatives Instructor
“Anahaw” Brigade (Prov’l), Mobilization Assembly
Test, AFP

We will be holding the seminar in Tainan, Kaohsiung, and Taipei.

The Tainan and Kaohsiung seminar will be on April 18-19 (Saturday and Sunday). Each session is 2-3 hours. You have the
option to choose whether you will attend 1 or 2 days.

For the Tainan seminar, it will
be at 9:00am - 12:00nn of April 18 and 19. Venue for this seminar is to
be announced but it will be near Tainan city for sure.

For the Kaohsiung Seminar, it will be from 7:00pm-9:00pm of April 18 (Saturday) and 3:00pm-6:00pm of April 19 (Sunday). Venue will be at THE FORGE MMA Gym, 53 Jhung Jheng 4th Rd, 11F-4. Very near to Formosa MRT Station.

The prices for the Tainan/ Kaohsiung seminar will be as follows
1 day: 1,000 NTs
2 days: 1,500 NTs
For students with ID, we will give a discount:
1 day: 700 NTs
2 days: 1000 NTs

For the TAIPEI Seminar, it will be help on April 25-26 (sat and sun) 930am-12nn. The venue would be be near Guting MRT station.
The price will be
1,500NTs (1 day) or 2,000 NTs (2 days).
A little higher since we need to pay for the transportation and lodging.

If you would like to join, please email me francis_tenchavez@yahoo.com

Don’t miss this great opportunity :slight_smile:

PS:
You can check out some of our groups videos in these links:
youtube. com/watch? v=-pk5u__ IyTo
youtube. com/watch? v=RBhErlYsbos& feature=related
blitzangelfi re.multiply. com/video/ item/31/Arnisado rs_in_Megamall

You can also check our Kaohsiung Team’s Facebook account at:
facebook .com/inbox/ readmessage. php?t=1117666266 764&f=1&e= 0#/group. php?gid=46700451 949

Thanks guys. See you in the seminar!

Kiko.

Wing chun update
Here is the updated schedule.
Tuesday and Thursday nights: 8:00pm-10:00pm
Thursday morning: 10:30am-12:30pm
New location:Sun Yat-sen park near the fish pond.
This aint your grandma’s kungfu class. Come by to see if the class is as awesome as it thinks it is.
Call Will at 0930632213 for more information.

Hi,

Thanks for the tips guys, Andy Wang and Gordon Prestons gyms sound awesome. As does Luo Laoshi.

However does anyone know of the best gym to train in competition San Shou (Sanda) at?

And also an outstanding teacher or gym teaching Tai Chi Chuan (in the Cheng Man-Ching lineage)?

I will be moving to Taiwan early next year and obviously wish to train extensively in these to styles, however I’m not sure where in Taiwan I will be located…maybe even on the more remote East Coast.

Would you guys recommend aiming to stay round Taipei for Martial Arts training or are there recognised teachers and gyms in more remote areas?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

:slight_smile:

hey man,

been looking at a modern wushu place in taichung for ages but it’s freakin’ hard and different. I am getting fed up with all sort of stupid ideas of the way they teach and things like modern wushu some guy only teach to high school or primary school kids. I rang him the other day and he asked me “is it for your kid?”… Man, what a stupid question.

I know most of sports like tennis, judo, swimming and even wushu can be taken as a major at the Uni if you chose PE as a degree. So they expect you to get to certain level in 3 or 5 years before they can let you graduate. I know in some uni, if you take up judo and you must gain your black bet before they can let you graduate… Now, that’s bullshit. it’s completely so Taiwanese. Anyway, I betta stop whinging about it.

In fact, there are many sports like this in western countries. Try learning American football as an adult. The lack of adult’s leagues for American football is the single biggest source of players for rugby in the continental United States. Wrestling - as in Olympic, Greco, and Folkstyle - is another collegiate sport. With the role of wrestling in MMA, there’s been a rebirth of instruction. I doubt it is possible to study in one of the for-profit clubs and enter an NCAA event.

ROC judo uses the traditional belting system; there are only black and white belts and no coloured belts. The distinction is used primarily to determine what level you compete at, although there is a clear difference in skill level. The schools in which students must earn a black belt are police colleges. In fact, police colleges have some of the best instructors and facilities in Taiwan. Students at physical education colleges who belong to judo teams would have earned their black belts long ago.

There are several community judo clubs throughout Taiwan. Virtually no one joins as an adult, meaning that almost all members have extensive training and tournament experience. But there are classes and instruction available for adults if you don’t mind training with teenaged kids. If you want to know more about this, you can PM me.

[quote=“section61”]been looking at a modern wushu place in Taichung for ages but it’s freakin’ hard and different. I am getting fed up with all sort of stupid ideas of the way they teach and things like modern wushu some guy only teach to high school or primary school kids. I rang him the other day and he asked me “is it for your kid?”… Man, what a stupid question.

… Now, that’s bullshit. it’s completely so Taiwanese. Anyway, I betta stop whinging about it.[/quote]

I completely agree with Scott on this. You don’t seem to understand the way things are here.

Modern wushu isn’t taken up by adults here, period. You’re insisting on looking for something that does not exist. Adults can’t handle the demands that wushu places on the body. They start as kids because that’s what it takes to make it in the sport.

Rather than demanding something you can’t have, why not choose something that is already available? There are many places in Taichung to learn traditional CMA. Go to one of the MA supply stores and they can help you out. My old teacher is there too.

If you want modern wushu so badly, pay the coach for private lessons. I’m sure he’d do it if you offer enough.

If you don’t like what’s available, then introduce something new yourself. But don’t blame the Taiwanese for not catering to your every whim.

The wing chun schedule for Sun Yat Sen is still the same as always. Just thought I would drop a link to my blog for anyone that is curious about what we are doing.
wingchuntaipei.blogspot.com/

I added a Tuesday morning class. Classes now available Tuesday and Thursday mornings 10am-12pm. and Tuesday and Thursday Nights 8pm-10pm.
wingchuntaipei.blogspot.com/