Mary's Diner and Mary's Hamburger

They are closed for 2 weeks and today there was a piece in some Chinese Newspaper saying that they are out of business. The article said, because of a conflict between the shareholders.

I guess that biz was too bad the past couple of years; too much competition from better, cleaner and less expensive hamburger joints.

Until a few years ago, Mary’s was an institution in Tian Mou: They opened 1979.

Aw - that’s a shame. When I first came to Taiwan, my GF of the time took me there - said it was one of the most famous places to go :slight_smile:

I went there once in 1996. Very greasy and not in a good way.

pity

Lived just down the road and was pretty familiar with the folks there. End of an era. At that time there was basically McD’s, BK or Mary’s if you wanted a hamburger.

Need pubs not burger joints!

Man, the place had enough steady business just on reputation -well, name recognition- alone. If they had invested ina bit of renovations and yes, a cleaner, neater place -no restroom next to the kitchen, please, for starters- would have helped. Probably someone wanted to reform the place and the rest of the shareholders wouldn’t let go of the cash. Pity such business shortsightness.

We all know that the quality of the food may not be as relevant here in Taiwan as having a name, being a famous place was their most important asset.

I went there a few days ago for some reason, the second time I’d visited in seventeen years, and I was reminded again why I hadn’t been there in seventeen years.

Don’t they have another place in Taipei city?

There’s one down the road from me on Rueyguang Road. Please, please, PLEASE don’t be closed! PLEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!

Good news for all those missing Mary’s Burgers & can’t be arsed to get themselves to Neihu, Mary’s Hamburger Tienmu is most definitely NOT closed. Reopened in September 2013 at a new location. Please MODs can you change the designation.

No. 470, Chung Shan North Road, Section 6, Taipei.
Telephone No: 2871-4997
(Reservations definitely not required, Budget/Nostalgia/Hungry Traveler Friendly Fare)

Photos, and more information on my http://www.taipeicityguide.com/marys-hamburger-茉莉漢堡-reopened-new-location website with a picture or two ( no idea how to post photos here!).

Saw a news report they’re closing end of March.

1 Like

Mary’s burger, or Mary’s Diner? Mary runs the latter, and it’s the only place I go.

95% sure Mary’s Diner.

3 Likes

Thanks for the warning!

1 Like

Is this the place?

1 Like

That’s the one…

1 Like

No way. 40 years is an amazingly long haul. Well done Mary.

1 Like

Word is out, apparently.

I stood in line long enough to have someone cut in front of me, lol, will have to pop in tomorrow.

1 Like

That place has usually looked like a ghost town when I’ve walked by.

I suppose people get fonder of something just before it’s lost. Or something like that.

Guy

2 Likes