Massive Quake, affecting Western Coast of Japan with tsunami warnings

If your travelling, keep up with updates, some water waves 1m20cm (Wajima City), also warnings for Korea too

2 Likes

Are there any tsunami warnings for Taiwan?

Five meter waves were expected on the Noto Peninsula!

Many nuclear reactors on that side of Japan. I dearly hope they are better managed than TEPCO’s were in 2011.

Guy

3 Likes

It’s the Sea of Japan side, it has nothing to do with waters around Taiwan. Still extremely serious for that part of Japan . . .

Guy

2 Likes

really? Did not see that report, NHK is reporting this, last report at 5:17 (4:17 Taiwan)

1 Like

If lower than that, excellent!

My details are from an hour ago, with many frantic posts on twitter. The five metre part is from this guy (I hope this was completely wrong):

https://twitter.com/greghill/status/1741724861213634870

Guy

1 Like

What I saw was maybe 3m, seems in Wajima City (Noto Pen.) it was 1.2m an hour+ ago and much lower at later times in other towns.

1 Like

Five meter in Noto Hanto was picked up and repeated by a lot of folks on twitter. Very glad it is not that horrible. Three meters / wall of water is scary enough!

Guy

1 Like

Any updates on the nuclear power plants? :pray:

Guy

seems ok, so far. It may take some time report building damages, its big holiday (The Japan New years)

Not to downplay today’s earthquake, but logarithmic calculation has 2011’s 9.0 over 25x more powerful than today’s 7.6.
My friend in Tokyo said it shook a bit there.

1 Like

5m in ishikawa

I am still not see that from Japanese news, showing 1m 20cm at Noto Penn. (exact location was Wajima Township), also called relative there they report same about 1m+, at 7pm hour in Japan.

My information its from nhk

Cooperation on the go in Japan: “A JR [Japan Rail] employee wrote about earthquake-related train delays on the board to the left, then someone else provided an [English] translation to the right. They then found a woman who could translate into Chinese.” Some of the very best parts of Japan coming through here.

Source: https://twitter.com/UnseenJapanSite/status/1741784366060368256

Guy

5 Likes

So far, the news are calling this the second largest quake after 311 and comparing it to 921. There are some toppled houses and at least one report of a landslide with possible casualties. So far, not as bad as it could have been, IMHO.

Local news are also pointing to the particular shape of Ishikawa as potentially troublesome for tsunamis.

President Tsai and vice president Lai have sent condolences through social media:

I expect that Taiwanese will assist Japan affected areas generously if necessary.

And several groups of Taiwanese travelers have reported safe and unharmed:

日本強震!觀光署:無台灣旅行團受困

Edit:
Yep, damage still bring assessed and up to an hour ago, tsunami alert was still in place.

From NHK

Reports of injuries and damage brought about by the massive quake on the Sea of Japan coast continue to come in.

Japan’s National Police Agency says that two people in Nanao City, Ishikawa Prefecture, suffered cardiac arrest following the earthquake.

NHK has learned from fire departments and hospitals that, as of 7 p.m., multiple people were injured in Ishikawa, Niigata and Fukui prefectures. Reports say they had been hit by items falling on them or had suffered broken bones.

In the cities of Wajima and Suzu in Ishikawa, fire department officials say they have received more than 50 reports that houses have collapsed. They are also responding to calls about people being trapped under the damaged buildings.

Officials are trying to grasp the extent of the damage and carry out rescue operations. But the full extent of the disaster remains unclear.

A fire has also broken out in the center of Wajima. Firefighters are trying to extinguish it and confirm if there are any casualties.

5 Likes

Missing the snow here, but never the earthquakes.

Remarkably low number of casualties for a Quake of this magnitude. Sure, any number above zero is too many, but this seems to be confined to injuries and a single digit number of deaths so far.

2 Likes

Man…what did Japan do to upset the 2024 Gods?
BBC News - Japan Airlines plane in flames on the runway at Tokyo’s Haneda Airport

1 Like