Masters Swimming

It would be preferable to practice all the strokes because if you are only doing one stroke all the time, your body will get used to it and you will start losing the benefit and stop making gains. However, because of your injury, you are clearly not able to do all the strokes. So, I would suggest that you mix up your freestyle workouts. You need to search the Internet for freestyle workouts and try and do something different every time you get into the pool. Mix it up between sprint, middle distance, kick, drill/technique workouts. And time yourself so you can see if you are improving. If you wear your Apple Watch on your left hand, then stroke with your left hand first and when you touch the wall, touch with your left hand. So your watch hand has the first and last stroke. This should make it more accurate.

2 Likes

If you are really interested in getting back into drills and doing different types of competitive drills you might want to pit yourselves against the kids at 碧海運動休閒會館 pool at Xinzhunag (address 242, New Taipei City, Xinzhuang District, 龍安路249巷1號). Training usually starts at 5:30am Mon-Fri except for switch days when training starts at about 4:30 pm. The kids sessions are a full 2 hour stretch (sometimes longer). They have a number of high profile swimmers in their team including the current Taiwan Butterfly record holder Wang Kuan-hung.

2 Likes

Very cool. I think finally Taiwan might start producing some good swimmers. I’m seeing articles about Wang Kuan-hung lately (assuming he’s the same guy who swims for that California team).

As far as pitting ourselves against the kids, I doubt they would let anybody swim with them, would they? Or do you mean swimming in an adjacent lane? (And by the way, I’ve seen swim teams with even very young swimmers- at Chongshan and Songshan pools- and I know I couldn’t keep up! Maybe for thirty minutes or so when only freestyle is involved but that’s about it.)

1 Like

Adjacent lane. They split the pool. Reserve 4 lanes for the squad and the other lanes are open for the public. I swam next to them for about 18 months while the Xinzhuang pool was being renovated. Really upped my swim that’s for sure. Now I do an average 10Km swim in 3hrs. And switch between legs and strokes (lower back injuries). I liked how they switched between sets. Warm up with high elbow then mediums, then 25s, then 50s, then medley or into their sprint set. By the end of their sprint sets I was still on pace which was pretty cool. They’d also choose days to focus on a certain stroke or to focus on legs. I mean an hour of legs while dragging a bucket through the pool. Heavy stuff. The coach speaks a bit of English too. The kids were always nice and polite as well. A lot of their parents were also very nice.

I was doing swims at ZhongZheng but that pool needs its own Grinder account. Absolutely ridiculous the amount of unwanted approaches and touchy feely men always trying to take a grope. The staff were pretty good but there’s only so much they can do.

1 Like

And yes that appears to be the same Wang Kuan-hung. He’s a nice kid. Very determined. Loves to swim. He was out of balance for a bit. Dragging his left shoulder and arm on his butterfly stroke. This was after he broke the Butterfly record the first time so he was probably nursing an injury without knowing.

I found this to be a very good link for drill training.
https://www.saintsswimming.com.au/site/user-assets/docs/33-epic-swimming-workouts.pdf
You can pick and choose obviously. I just had a lady at one of the markets make some swimsox for me. I chose the 60cm and double wrapped. Cost me $300nt

Swimming for 3 hours is hard core no matter the time it takes. :+1:

1 Like

I tracked down the competitive swimmer. Still in Taiwan. I’ll pm you soon.

Oh wow, cool - um, don’t put too much effort into this, but it’d definitely be fun / interesting to spend a bit of time trying to figure out how to improve my swimming.

(Just in case it’s not clear, I’m posting about this mainly as a middle-aged person trying to slow down decline, rather than someone trying to get better and more competitive at sports!)

1 Like

No problem! I already told them I’m old so don’t expect too much.

1 Like