Maximum number of scooter passengers

it seems so.

Death per 10k cars
year total bus small_car big_truck small_truck special_car bike others
20190807_181026

Injury per 10k cars
20190807_181117

edit

The number of death within 30 days was increased last year.

20190807_182608

20190807_184254

2 Likes

Looks like I had some out of date figures in my head.

Not spending under 1000 a year (as they grow not every year) is nothing compared to the hospital bill, or therapy bill, if you kid gets mushed.

Back to denying negatives to prevent them. Some people shouldnt reproduce. Luckily that class of people tend not to raise their kids and pawn em offto schools and aunties.

1 Like

And that’s for a very nice helmet. You can get a Hello Kitty one for under 400NT

Does the stat mean scooters are safer than cars?

Just as a matter of personal opinion I’m OK with a mother or father transporting 2 kids to school on a scooter. That’s the way it’s always been done here, it’s local practice and cops never issue tickets for it.

The scooter’s role in Taiwan’s growth as a nation is massively unappreciated, especially the family car of the 1960-1980s, the trusty Vespa.

1 Like

Definitely no reliable public transport in Chiayi. One kid standing in the front, one sitting on the back - max 3 I’d say.

Since two of my cousins got seriously injured though, there’s definitely been more concern over safety. 3 quarter coverage helmets minimum, if not full face helmets. It is hot and uncomfortable, but better than getting your head bashed in.

My understanding is that the cops wont “double ticket” you, i.e you wont be ticked both for riding without helmet and having too many passengers. Or, is this not the case? At least this is what I have been told as reason why the extra passengers usually dont have helmets…

Normally school are near and another option is the school bus. Taiwan needs to become a developed country, there is a huge list to improve, they can look at Singapore how with strick rules became better.

Singapore sucks the big one. Even Singaporeans hate living there. What kind of country bans chewing gum?

1 Like

India knows how to make the most out of their scooters. No helmets needed.

1 Like