Meanwhile in Hong Kong

And another one.

Stockholm Syndrome, maybe? or just living in that world so long, you just want to keep your money coming in and get your children through High School and whatever. can’t sell your property, would be blocked from exit anyway, or just applying the law as is their job?

1 Like

She was a local ethnic Chinese who married a foreigner. Something like that.

I’ve been listening a bit to RTHK 3
It has mostly British Accents. It’s more community oriented than ICRT.
The news… They cleverly avoid certain subjects but it gives your share of everyday crime.

President Joe Biden announced Thursday that Hong Kong citizens currently in the United States who fear for their safety amid the political crackdown back home will receive temporary safe haven.

Biden said the move recognizes “the significant erosion” of rights and freedoms in Hong Kong by the Chinese government.

The new decision allows Hong Kong residents currently in the United States to remain for 18 months and to be allowed to work.

2 Likes

Three years in jail and/or a fine of up to $1 million HKD for showing unapproved films!

Meanwhile in Taipei:

Guy

1 Like

Puke

2 Likes

One of the lessons we can learn from the story linked above by @Brianjones is the willingness of some venal HKers to act as hatchetmen (or women) for Beijing to carry out their purge of the democratic opposition. Here are some of their faces:

There’s no doubt in my mind that we’d see the same phenomenon in Taiwan if Beijing took control here too.

Guy

8 Likes

It’s scary seeing this new reality happen in real time .
It’s surely worse than 95% of the predictions just a few years ago for Hong Kong.

And the national security law was used as a weapon not just to threaten people with (which seems to have been the focus of the protests ) but has already been used to remove from the legislature and jail and exile ALL democratic voices in HK…just like that…The light went out.

3 Likes

Looks like another umbrella protest movement is swelling.

1 Like

“I cannot choose my government, but I can choose my clothes!”

Guy

2 Likes

Meanwhile in Taichung, exiled HK artist Kacey Wong (黃國才) continues to do his work. Based on this feature-length article in today’s Taipei Times, this guy sounds awesome.

Guy

1 Like

I’m interested in his immigration status and how he seems to have moved to Taiwan and set up shop extremely easily.

He just decided to move to Taiwan and now he lives and works here self-employed, just like that?

Looks to be preferential immigration for Han Chinese ethnicity.

I wonder how soon it will be before he collects his HHR and citizenship, of course without renouncing his Hong Kong citizenship first.

For me, I couldn’t just simply move to Taiwan and start working just because I felt like it. There were rings of fire I had to jump through and in many respects there are still many difficulties.

1 Like

Fleeing political persecution is more like it.

I remember when I came here, Taiwanese did not care for HKese one bit. The old Guangdong / Fujian split was right up front—these guys don’t like each other. Thankfully old prejudices are waning and there’s more sympathy for people terrorized by a common foe: Beijing and its illiberal form of governing.

And yes we could be next.

Guy

But, we don’t have a “refugee” or “asylum” policy here. If we had those laws or rules, then “fleeing political persecution” would be an acceptable immigration status. But, we don’t have that.

So, how is it that he was able to just walk on over and set up shop, apparently this summer?

Therefore, I have to assume that it’s just another case of Han Chinese preferential treatment, legislating based on guanxi.

1 Like

I don’t think your reasoning is sound here, even if you are correct in stating we don’t have any adequate sort of refugee policy in Taiwan.

I also don’t get the hostility you are expressing to bringing in folks like Wong. I wonder if you even read the article to see what this guy is about. Given his profile and background (he studied at Cornell), he’d be immediately eligible for a Gold Card anyways. Or that too biased a policy as well?

Guy

If it were “Han Chinese preferential treatment” wouldn’t it be extended to all people of Han Chinese descent? Call me when we welcome Xi Jinping (though with the way things are going in China, that may be sooner than we think).

1 Like

There is still preferential rights for overseas Chinese though.

I think mainlanders don’t count. Or Hongkies.

Was from when trying to win over Chinese speaking world