Meanwhile in Hong Kong

Referring back to Malcolm’s posts: there may be changes afoot (it’s not determined yet) about how folks from HK may gain residence rights in Taiwan. Here’s a report from Liberty Times about these possible changes:

Guy

As.much as I disagree with them getting preferential abode rights over other foreigners, and worse yet refugees from other countries that Taiwan never would accept, a positive may be that this group may demand citizenship and Taiwan may be forced to make moves allowing dual citizenship without renunciation.

I’m fine with them getting preferential treatment tbh. Will be beneficial to Taiwan to attract Hong Kong talent and I think it’s good that both places have some kinship. I would like to see Taiwan become an alternate center for the Chinese speaking world again.

From the article on the artist Kaycey Wong linked above:

“I don’t want to repeat myself,” said Wong, before quipping a new idea for his artwork: “Maybe I’ll do a tricycle with a missile launcher on the back because Taiwan is continually under threat.”

This guy is an asset, not a liability.

Guy

You’re not serious. Right?

2 Likes

As Marco indicated, the PRC/ROC dual nationality is one that will not happen.

Guy

It’s not only that. Hong Kongers are already ROC Nationals. They do not have to naturalise, thus will remain ignorant of the issue.

Thirdly, Hong Kong Permanent Residence confers citizenship rights in Hong Kong. Being a ROC National with Household Registration and a Hong Kong permanent resident gives one the entirety of China and Taiwan anyways. Hong Kongers don’t go through the naturalisation process in Taiwan.

They wouldn’t know anything about naturalising in Taiwan cause they don’t have to.

2 Likes

The proposed legislation (not yet enacted) described in the Liberty Times article linked above will change this situation.

Guy

Still doesn’t change the fact they’re ROC nationals. They don’t get ARCs.

1 Like

Yes the latter is true.

But watch out, this may change.

Guy

Not likely as long as Taiwan is named the ROC.

1 Like

Watch it happen.

I’ve seen the dismantling of the Mongolian and Tibetan Affairs whateveritwas called—another relic of another era.

The HK / Macau ambiguity you cited (remember both are places NEVER ruled by the ROC) will also eventually get chucked into the bin of history—and for those who believe in common sense, good riddance.

Guy

Mongolia is different. Mongolia is a country that the PRC recognises. Hong Kongers have PRC passports.

Tibetans have PRC passports too.

The above article is from 2017—the Tsai era.

Even in our ROC shell, things do change.

Regarding the status of people from HK and Macau: we shall see.

Guy

Yes, but recognising Mongolia is not an ‘act of independence’.

Recognising HK is.

Very.

If a country can’t accept other refugees using the whole "were not a country excuse’ but then supports HK because they consider them the ‘same people’, yes it is extremely unfair and I do have a big issue with it. And no I don’t think they should be able to skip the line with preferential treatment. Case by case sure, but not en masse.

2 Likes

I think we are discussing different things.

I am talking about how the ROC has been organized—and the ways this organization has been steadily shifted over the years. That’s why I provided the 2017 example, which involved changing the ROC’s proprietorial approach to Tibetans as well as Mongolians—it’s now gone, the Tsai government changed it.

This arrangement changed, and I am saying there are moves afoot to change the ROC’s proprietorial approach to people from HK and Macau—both places, I repeat, that the ROC has never administered, not for one minute.

OK! Off to meetings!

Guy

Hong Kongers are not going to stand up for our dual citizenship rights. They wont even know about such a thing. Dont waste limited time and energy.

2 Likes

I think you’re missing my point. My main point is they shouldn’t be able to jump the line with permanent resident status when Taiwan won’t accept refugees from other places. Even Japan that isn’t refugee friendly takes refugees begrudgingly. But Taiwan will make an exception for HK because race.
And then make an exception for them for citizenship because race. Taiwan should be better than that

2 Likes

They don’t have permanent resident status. It doesn’t exist. They’re ROC nationals. They’re not making exceptions for race.

No matter what, to even use this for our dual citizenship case is a collossal waste of time.