Measles (Rubeola) outbreak in Taiwan?

You’re thinking of the mumps, and even that was highly exaggerated

Dunno, I do remember a classmate had that, and it was measles - the red spots, not just spots. Or so they said…

Are you guys willing to run the risk? :frowning_face:

Measles are very dangerous for unborn babies. It can cause birth-defects.
During my intern at a mental hospital one of the patients was a kid suffering from those defects.

I don’t want the little tykes winning any swimming contests anyway, so it’s not high on my list of priorities.

Yourself may be ok, but when you spread them, babies and mothers to be might be affected severely.

We will visit Taoyuan city and I wonder if and how to get vaccine?

Getting a vaccine DOES NOT mean you are immune. Some vaccines have a failure rate as high as 30%. A titer test will let you know if you are covered - but even then you can get the disease even if your titer test is positive.

My son actually got measles FROM the vaccine itself last year. It was a mild case but scary none the less.

He received the vaccine from one pediatrician (a vaccine expert) but we went to a different one when he had a weird outbreak as we didn’t make the connection. That doc diagnosed him with measles and asked why we didn’t give him the vaccine (records hadn’t been updated). As a typical brain washed doc she didn’t believe us at first.

You read stories about babies dying after a vaccine but the “industry” saying it somehow is not connected to the very powerful multi-dose vaccine the baby just received.

We were lucky it was just a mild case.

Vaccines have side effects from rather common light ones to rare severe ones. There are also stories about babies dying due to diseases which can be prevented by vaccines. Statistically, getting vaccines is safer than not being vaccinated.

It was unlucky your son got the mild measles from the vaccine, but it is also possible if a baby had not gotten vaccine, he could die or suffer from more severe complications due to measles.

Some parents saying it is connected to the multi-year vaccine, but in many cases it is not proved, and can be not connected. Many studies show vaccines are statistically beneficial even taking its side effects into consideration.

And just as a heads up, latest case was reported in Kaohsiung. So Taoyuan, Kaohsiung residents, keep alert for tell tale symptoms. Do not trust a flu.

Please also note that one infected person comes in contact with over a hunderd healthy people and then we have to monitor over a thousand. Hence, the heads up.

But chances are… yep. But it is not only you who gets sick. Your coworker may go home to his sister’s baby. Unvaccinated baby. Immonologically defficient baby. That is the point.

Yes, it is not SARS nor the plague. Yet, it could take something away from someone, or someone away from their beloved.

Kaohsiung, April 24 (CNA) A new case of measles has been confirmed in Kaohsiung after a patient tested positive for the virus, the city’s Department of Health said Tuesday.

The victim, aged 24, sought medical attention after feeling ill on April 3, and was later released from hospital.

On April 15, however, he showed symptoms of respiratory infection, which then developed into fever three days later, and he was consequently admitted to hospital that day, the department said.

Tests confirmed Tuesday that he had been infected with measles.

According to local health authorities, 129 people had so far been identified as having come into contact with the victim, and will continue to have their health monitored until May 7, when the disease’s incubation period has passed.

The department said it is also currently monitoring a total of 1,069 people suspected of having come into contact with measles victims in Kaohsiung.

1 Like

Hold on a second…the visible effects of measles begin two or three days after the starting flu-like symptoms. If he went to hospital on the 3rd of April because he wasn’t feeling well, then went back to hospital on the 15th of April, the options are:

a) On the 3rd of April he had something not related to measles, and in the following week or so he got measles as well

b) On the 3rd of April he had the starting flu-like symptoms of measles, was diagnosed as regular flu and sent back home, then he spent 11 days carrying measles around until he went back to hospital again on the 14th

My virology teacher would go to the hospital that visited him on the 3rd of April and headbutt every person on shift that day.

1 Like

Well, if I remember correctly, some people do not develop the tell tale red spots, some just a little. But yeah, wird. If he came in contact with someone who had measles or suspected it before the third, the doctors could have acted faster. But if he was paseed through someone who met someone who traveled abroad after the 3rd… bit harder. Note it does not mention how he got it. They may not even know at this moment. And/or intra hospital infections are not unheard of, not to say, popular. Maybe someone in the hospital had a mild, undetected, unrecorded case. We do not know.

Main point is that if they get more cases, that is a South cluster.

Another point to keep in mind is that these diseases are often spread by vaccinated people. Vaccinated people will get the disease in their system and can infect others even though they show little or no symptoms. They simply don’t know they are infected and keep about their daily lives.

Unvaccinated people - or ones who didn’t develop immunity properly - get sick and soon know they are infected and are less likely to have contact with the public.

This happened to us. We received a warning from my daughter’s school that Whooping Cough was spreading in the school (even though 98% of kids were vaccinated). It was the day before Spring Break.

My daughter - fully vaccinated - came home with what seemed like a mild cold. Anyway, it was Spring Break so we piled in the SUV and headed to our other home for a vacation. We all got sick. And my realtor who was in our other house also got sick.

I had an unknown vaccine history (who keeps track of that shit?) and my son had no Whooping vaccines as he had bad reactions to vaccines. My wife was mildly sick - she had had a titer test recently showing she had immunity. Anyway, since we knew what it was my son and I received early treatment and recovered before the hell part of it set in.

My guess is that the flight attendants were vaccinated but still contracted it. It happens more often than reported in the news.

Was this in US or Taiwan?

As well, or worse, this kind of diseases are spreaded by unvaccinated people. When unvaccinated people get a disease, some people can get really severe symptoms, on the other hand, some people can get very light symptoms so they may not notice they are infected and continue their daily life. In addition, some people don’t care going to public places with infected kids or sending them to school. Unless they pay special attention, people usually don’t notice they get it, before a very typical symptom appears, so they continue their daily life for a few days while they are infectious without knowing it. That is why it is important to keep high vaccine rate.

Most people are understanding the social benefits of vaccine, so they get their kids vaccinated even though they know the risk of possible severe side effects.

People who don’t get their kids vaccinated due to the risk of side effects without any medical reasons are taking advantage of vaccinated people.

According to US CDC though those vaccinated are much less likely to spread the disease.

Interestingly, CNA has a more precise tale: he did possibly get it at the hospital, and he was vaccinated as a kid -which means immunity doe snot lasta that long. He did not develop serious symptoms, though.

Taipei, April 27 (CNA) A new case of measles has been confirmed at Linkou Chang Gung Memorial Hospital after a young man tested positive for the virus, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) said Friday.

The victim, in his 20s, sought medical attention after displaying rash-like symptoms and a fever on April 22, and blood samples were taken.

Tests confirmed Friday that he was infected with the measles.

CDC Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥) said the man has since been quarantined at home for observation and treatment.

According to Chuang, the patient has not been out of the country in recent months, and had been vaccinated against the measles at a young age.

He is suspected of having contracted the virus from a patient when he visited the hospital on April 2, Chuang said.

Twenty-one people have been identified to date as having come into contact with the victim, and will continue to have their health monitored until May 14, when the disease’s incubation period has passed.

As of Tuesday, there were 24 confirmed cases of measles infection throughout Taiwan this year, according to the latest CDC data.

The hospitalization on the 15th of April suddenly disappeared?

CNA may not have that info and/or Taiwan News did not get it right.

Anyways, if it is the same guy -as it seems- then the hospital is the focal point here.

the dates really don’t make any sense.

a) Went to hospital on the 3rd of April because he wasn’t feeling well
b) Maybe went to hospital on the 15th of April?
c) Went to hospital on the 22nd of April and was diagnosed with measles

If we remove b), he has the worst case of Bad Luck Brian syndrome; he went to the hospital for random stuff, he contracted measles and the incubation period of his case was at the long end of the spectrum, average being 2 weeks, top being 20/21 days.

If we keep b), someone at the hospital on the 14/15th fucked up, and a visit at the hospital in that period would have put him right in the center of the average incubation period of measles

What a weird situation. Anyway, I got my vaccinations and I’m not legally or medically involved in that guy’s unlucky existence, so whatever la.

He went to teh hospital on teh 2nd and got confirmed sick on the 22nd.

Where is teh 15th?

It is not the same guy as in Kaohsiung.