Medical Education in Taiwan

Apologies if this is in the wrong form section.

Hello all!

I have been trying to find some information regarding medical education in Taiwan and medical experiences in Taiwan. Unfortunately, I was unable to find anything. To be more clear, I want to know how medical education in Taiwan compares to Western medical education (from experience). It’s easy to read about medical education / experiences in western countries (U.S.A specifically), but there’s hardly anything about Taiwan (especially from foreign student’s experience). This is why I want to ask any foreign or Taiwanese students that underwent medical education in Taiwan and what were your thoughts / experiences?

A bit off-topic but I also wanted to know why does it matter if one is supposed to reside for 8 years and apply to medical college, but 6 years for other colleges?

Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

not first hand information, but a friend of mine from Guatemala did a degree in dental surgery here.
the education is “western”, the books and protocols are similar to north America, but the approach is Taiwanese, meaning the classroom environment is more strict and geared heavily on memorizing, challenging authority if professors is frowned upon.
the longer residency is because of the clinical years you do at the hospital.

Thanks for the reply!

By any chance, do you know which university your friend attended? And how long ago was it?

1 Like

it was Taipei Medical University, he graduated 8 years ago.

1 Like

The huge difference is the cost of medical education: Western (U.S.A) v.s. Taiwan.
In fact, many American students choose to go to Philippines for medical school because the cost is cheap, and easy communication in English.
Unqualified Taiwanese students who want to pursue medical careers usually go to medical schools in Eastern Europe or South America, again, because of the cost.

1 Like

They don’t go there for the cost, they go there because they flunked the college entrance exam and they actually have to spend a ridiculous amount as medical programmes in Taiwan are not more expensive than non-medical programmes, at least not a good deal more. Only the best can be admitted into medical programmes and those who did poorly would go to Poland/Slovakia/Czech Republic for medical studies as their degrees are accepted in Taiwan by virtue of their EU membership. It’s actually quite perversed. They study in these Eastern European countries but all the materials are delivered from Taiwan, and they are more often than not sneered by doctors who went to local medical schools when they return and practice medicine in Taiwan.

I have a few friends/acquaintances who did and frankly I don’t see any reason why you would choose to pursue a medical degree here, unless you are from a much poorer country and actually want to practice medicine in Taiwan. It’s extremely local oriented. Even more so than any other degree. The materials would be in English but all the classes, study groups, collaborative notes (which apparently are a necessity for all the mid-terms and final exams), student activities would be in Chinese.

Your comment is perversed. Luckily they can go there and get degree. With 1.5 doctor per 1000 residents your government should pay tuition aboard. If they want to offer quality service. Not just fast and cheap.
I was operated by Taiwanaese surgeon in Germany. He passed school in Poland and later did specialization in Germany.

Like in many countries medical lobby control number of new students. Think of that next time when you are on table under overworked and stressed out Taiwnaese surgeon

I am curious how many doctors per 1000 residents there are in Germany.

4.5/1000

It’s 2.1, not 1.5. And Asian countries all have less doctors per 100k people as they work longer hours.

That’s funny. German life expectancy isn’t higher than Taiwan. Both are at 81.

Why would anyone challenge a professor of medicine? I’m just curious.

Episiotomy rates are over 80% in Asia. In others developed countries < 30% Hospitals have to control time and make birth as fast as possible due to small number of doctors. It will not effect those mothers life expectancy but unfortunately effect life quality. Hope this helps.

My wife was happy to had a choice. Both kids are born in Germany.

Where did you even hear that?

He’s right to an extent.

Abstract

Objectives: To describe the postpartum perineal morbidity of primiparous women who had a vaginal birth and compare outcomes between Asian and non-Asian women in the first 2 days following the birth and at 6 and 12 weeks postpartum.

Design: Data from a randomized clinical trial of a perineal management technique (perineal warm packs) were used to address the study objective.

Setting: Two maternity hospitals in Sydney, Australia.

Participants: Primiparous women who had a vaginal birth in the trial were included (n=697). One third of the women were identified as “Asian.”

Results: Compared with non-Asian women, Asian women were significantly more likely to have an episiotomy; require perineal suturing; sustain a third- or fourth-degree perineal tear; and report their perineal pain as being moderate to severe on day 1 following the birth. Asian women were less likely to give birth in an upright position or to resume sexual intercourse by 6 or 12 weeks following the birth.

Conclusion: More research is needed into methods that could reduce the high rates of perineal trauma experienced by Asian women, and midwives need to be able to offer appropriate support for Asian women.

Your question reflects your Asian/Chinese culture stamp in your brain, that nobody should challenge the authority.
Of course any teacher/professor can be challenged and should be prepared to be challenged. Any scientific theory should stand to be challenged. Any authority should be prepared to be challenged by the public.

1 Like

Really? You’re a bit of an expert about my brain, so I shan’t question you.

1 Like

Now you are ridiculing yourself by trying to be funny.

I don’t want to get into a row. I’m sorry.

Sorry as you should be.

No useful information for you…just something I think is funny. My sister-in-law’s kid went to medical school in Kaoshiung. His English is very good but Taiwanese so-so. All his teachers used Taiwanese in class. He grades were not good until he quit going to class and stayed at home to watch class content related videos on Youtube. Graduated with good grades…thanks to Youtube. Still had to pay the tuition though.