Men's linen shirts

I’m looking for some long-sleeve, casual men’s shirts. I bought some from Uniqlo, but the longevity just isn’t there (as one would expect from fast fashion). I know H&M have some, but I’m worried the quality would be similar. Has anyone found decently priced, decent quality linen shirts? I don’t mind paying a fair price, but I’m not looking for ultra high end. The only thing is that I want them to have long sleeves. Thanks!

Those two places are fast fashion. They’re famous, or infamous rather for having poor quality fashion for the purposes of buying a new one often and regularly.

2 Likes

Taiwan’s the wrong place to wear long sleeve anything, unless your body just doesn’t get hot at all.

Try a tailor?

2 Likes

Long sleeved linen shirts are the exception. Linen keeps you cool even in punishing sunlight.

At beaches or on sunny/hot days, I often wear long linen trousers and a long sleeved linen shirt, so that I don’t have to put on sunscreen.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5615097/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18221342/

There is plenty of research to show that sunscreens are absorbed through the skin and are bad for you.

4 Likes

I use eBay, long sleeves not a problem.

Though getting anything delivered to Taiwan can be a pain. Less hassle to fly to country of purchase and fly back in case. Quicker and possibly cheaper.

Another option I have taken up is have a base in Hong Kong ship to from there to Taiwan.

Hello! I own a bespoke shirt brand and Atelier named L’Atelier Monceau.

We focus on crafting the best bespoke shirts for our customers, everything is made by us, and in Taiwan!

We have a wide selection of Linen fabrics that you could choose from if you want to try.

We are the opposite of fast fashion, we focus on higher quality fabrics, what we craft is made to last and be loved by our customers.

Feel free to check our website Lateliermonceau.com to know more about us.

We have a showroom in Da’an, you are welcome to pass by and I’ll personally show you our linens.

ps: don’t feel any pressure to purchase, consultations are always free :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed, Linen cloth is very much the thing to wear for breathability, few fabrics will make you feel the wind pass through it as Linen does.

There are even Cotton-Linen blends that are especially good for people that need to wear shirts all day in Taiwan’s weather but with a more formal look.

1 Like

Where do you source your linen from?

2 Likes

We have multiple sources for our Linen,

Some of our Linen are locally sourced, they allow for tighter prices while being of good quality.

Then we have pricier brands with finer fabrics such as Albini (Italy), Alumo (Switzerland), and Thomas Mason (UK) that all have Linen fabrics in their collection. and at last, Solbiati which specializes in Linen (From LVMH).

2 Likes

I wear those Unoqlo airism shirts, and while they work to let air in, Taiwan humidity (combined with the lack of wind) quickly clogs its pores with sweat and it just becomes as sticky as a trash bag.

I think the only weather appropriate clothing in Taiwan is little to no clothing.

I order my linen off Etsy from shops in Lithuania. They take a while (like a month) to make, but they can do it to your size. And Lithuania says eff you to China, so not only are you not supporting Chinese slavery and the CCP, you’re supporting a country that threw up their middle finger to the CCP. Just make sure you’re ordering from a shop that’s actually in Lithuania. Chinese sellers have taken over Etsy as an Amazon extension, pretending to be all over the world and selling Chinese junk from places like Germany when they’re clearly in China.

But I might consider this tailor that’s suddenly posting across Forumosa. I usually pay ~US$65/shirt, so NT$3000 seems like overkill, but im also a woman, and I’ve had pretty much every tailor shop and dry cleaners I’ve ever set foot in insist that women have more curves and therefore it costs more to make and clean our tops, so to that I say “sorry not sorry you’re not getting my business, maker/cleaner or overweight men’s shirts without an extra charge”.

1 Like

To be honest Women’s shirts are trickier than men’s because of the added curves. This part is very true, however, cost wise whatever time you spend more on crafting the shirt is balanced by the fact that you order usually up to 30% less fabric. (this does not work when the tailor uses very cheap fabrics of course).

We’re indeed pricier but we also focus on quality materials, from fabrics to mother-of-pearl buttons, and we can modify the shirt to your liking if not satisfied during the first fitting.

In any case, you don’t have to worry, we don’t overcharge women :).

2 Likes

A close friend of mine had a sex reassignment from male to female.

She commented how just about everything costs more and usually takes longer as a woman - from clothes to grooming, to walking with heels to typing with nails. And how, contrary to what one might expect, something with less fabric may in fact, cost more :slight_smile:

I asked her if she thought it was worth it, and she said yes.

Not with linen, not only does it breath and protect from sunlight, if it gets a bit puckered and damp from sweat it really keeps the temp down

2 Likes

Decently priced, not high end; will be tough to find a good tailor at value in Taiwan, I’ve decided to just go to Vietnam for my next trip

Sounds awful, you should try linen

2 Likes

Yeah but it’s not true. A man with a huge beer belly has more curves that a tailor needs to work around than a woman like me with an athletic build and 34B bra size. Yet a tailor would never draw attention to the beer belly on a man and raise the price. But for women, the price is automatically higher because she is a woman, for both making shirts and washing them.

And it’s when tailors make this claim that women like me say “ok, no problem. You’re making excuses so your pink taxes can be legal and no one who supports reasonable pricing should support you, regardless of their sex/gender. Hopefully, you will go out of business like you deserve. Unfortunately, too many men dont know/care to drive you out of business”

Edit to add:

Thank you for the heads up on your shop. If NT$3000+ for a shirt does become in my budget, I will consider taking a look.

1 Like

It seems like boobs would be way harder to tailor than a beer belly based on how it integrates with the rest of the body. As someone who lofts vehicle skins, I’m thinking of the layout of a well fit men’s shirt vs a well fit man’s shirt and how I would have to design the surface… way more complicated on the women’s side.

Ouch. Harsh. You know this is for truth because?

That sounds wildly incongruent with “you’re making excuses… Hopefully, you will go out of business like you deserve.”

Humans have been fitting clothing to bodies for how long now? You really want to make the case that “some curves” are harder to accommodate than others, so women’s clothes should automatically cost more?

It is sheer laziness and a knowledge that you can charge more just because its a woman that leads people to make those excuses.

I have had more dry cleaners than I can count charge me to “hand clean” my tailored womens shirts, at four times the cost of machine cleaning, with the excuse that “it doesn’t fit on the machine”, only to pick up shirts that were clearly sent through the machine. And any overweight man with a specially tailored shirt wouldn’t have any issue dropping off his oddly bulging shirt to be machine cleaned.

Supporting businesses that charge women more because “their bodies are shaped differently” is just not cool. When Uber tried to charge passengers with wheelchairs more cuz they took too long to get in the car (“extended driver waiting time”), they got destroyed in courts. How is it “womens bodies are just shaped differently so we have to charge them more for their clothes” can be accepted by any human being that walks on this earth?