Men's linen shirts

Airism shirt from unoqlo is the only thing that works for summer in Taiwan. Anything heavier than this will be hell. You could go shirtless but aside from sunburn, it’s not appropriate everywhere. The shirt is at least passable and it’s almost as good as shirtless.

I am sorry but this claim is ridiculous. Other fabrics work too, included linen.

For @SlowRain : I don’t believe we’ve met, so I am unaware of your body type. But for my body, shirts from MUJI fit well—and they have an array of linen options now, with band collars, standard collars (my preference—more protection for my neck), short sleeves, long sleeves, you name it, they got it.

In addition to the 100% linen options available at all stores, I’ve been delighted with a new fabric in some shirts at some MUJIs (alas, not all): a blend of cotton and some tree fibre (it appears to be Kapok), in a loosely woven double gauze, and nicely breathable. It’s been a go-to shirt for me this season. Some details about this fabric are posted here:

https://uk.muji.eu/pages/meet-our-materials/what-is-kapok.html

Guy

6 Likes

I’m sorry for the incredious claims, it’s what works for me, I wasn’t aware linen shirt works. In the summer t shirts becomes very suffocating.

I have the unoqlo shirt, and one other shirt of similar material, and they do work well, and dries more easily. The only time they become less effective is when they’re waterlogged (which is often in Taiwan), but if you can towel or squeeze the water off, a breeze will often make the shirt cooler so it does have an effect, it also picks up sweat like a sponge.

I think if I am welding then I won’t wear this as this is polyester, and you must wear cotton clothing when working around spark or fire (if not special nomex clothing designed to protect against fire). They’re absolutely bad for wearing in the heat.

Linen shirt might work but is it good at wicking sweat?

Thanks! I’ll check out Muji’s offerings. That sounds like what I’m after.

1 Like

I should’ve mentioned I’m just looking for natural fibers. Yes, linen wicks away sweat. It’s one of the better fabrics for summer. My first couple of Uniqlo linen shirts were quite thin, but the more recent ones were thicker and, therefore, warmer. So that plays into it, too.

Yea, being thin is important, and polyester is often stronger.

My concern with thin linen shirt is that it’s going to not last. T shirt is too thick and therefore traps heat. Thin linen shirt will work but wouldn’t it tear easily? I get mysterious holes in my t shirt, even brand new ones. I have no idea why. I’m guessing washing machine damages them.

Yes, the linen wears out. But so do my other clothes.

1 Like