#metoo movement

If you build up the content of the thread, we will come.

Saw the public apology between the two gay guys. Thought the young guy was a bit too eager for attention. My wife put me in my place at that time, but the new info about his various exploits with other guys before asking for money has made her say that case is a bit unclear. First time I’ve ever won an argument.

1 Like

I simply know nothing about Taiwanese celebrities. My wife does though and she says it is quite the thing now.

Name and shame them. I would guess starting with the old guys running those insipid variety shows wawawaaaaaa.

3 Likes

I know they look like Tarzan, walk like Jane and smell like Cheetah.

1 Like

I am most interested in the Cho-Liang Lin cases, as I know many Taiwanese classical musicians:

1 Like

If I don’t speak up about my painful experience at this moment, there may be more victims who suffer in silence. How many more victims will there be in the future?" Chang said.

Good for her. :bowing:

2 Likes

Wave Makers

Apparently this TV show started the recent wave of outings?

“How Netflix political drama Wave Makers sparked Taiwan’s MeToo movement”

I can’t find anything in that list except a guide on how to use it.

It’s on the second tab.

1 Like

Several famous celebrities have been accused of sexual harassment, some infractions are more severe than others.

The newest one is former basketball player, variety show host and current P+ basketball league CEO Chen Chien-chou, being accused by a girl from his most popular show back in the day, Channel [V]'s Hei Se Hui Mei Mei, of harassing a girl under his employment on a business trip to Hong Kong in her hotel room.

2 Likes

Is that Blackie Chen ? 黑人

1 Like

Yes.

Oh wow.

Yeah, “Blackie” Chen has fostered an image of being a family man and a philanthropist, so this accusation is image shattering.

The girl claims to have resisted his advancement by trying to keep her room door open, and telling him that she has attended his wedding, and that she prefers skinny guys.

2 Likes

Oh wow that’s the big leagues

Also not some old comedian or something. As far as I know had a really good reputation for being handsome , reliable athletic cool guy who does a lot of philanthropy and really helped Taiwan basketball

He was a professional basketball player before right?

1 Like

Only in Taiwan… :sweat_smile:

like I said…

1 Like

Those damn variety shows promote female objectification openly. They put them in short skirts, make them play silly games, physically hit them with instruments as penalty, all kinds of harassment. Commonly older men, younger women. Sickening since I first saw it years ago. I could never imagine it being acceptable but my Taiwan friends, even females, just said that’s the way it is in Taiwan.

The producers should also be held accountable.

1 Like

So… Chen Chien-chou issued a statement to the woman who accused him of trying to get her to have a sexual relations with him as her boss. He wants her to pay him 10million NTD and post an apology for defamation on Facebook. He will sue her if she fails to comply.

The US passed The Speak Out Act last year. However, that only protects against the employer from using non-disclosure and nondisparagement agreements to prevent or penalize victims of sexual harassment or sexual assault from speaking out.

However, if someone speaks out and the accused sues, there’s nothing to stop the accused from doing so, and evidence for past sexual harassment or assault maybe difficult to come by.

Exactly how should a victim speak out to avoid being brought to court by the rich and famous and their powerful lawyers?

It’s pretty much the same everywhere, isn’t it? The defamation laws in Taiwan are exceptional, but I can’t think of a developed country where the accused can’t do this. Trump’s doing it in the US right now

1 Like