Mexican Food

Does anyone know where La Casita went? Went to #5 Lane 22 Jilin Road tonight, and it’s no longer there…

That taco shop is now closed. There’s a “FAG COFFEE” in it’s place.

[quote]blueface666 wrote:
I just got a phone call from Amy. She reopened this past Saturday night. The new location is:

Songjiang Rd, Lane 64, No. 7, 1F (near the Chang An E. Rd intersection)
Tel: 25319264
[/quote]

This from aug. 2003. I hope it’s still there. It’s been too long since I’ve had a big steaming bowl of chili.

(I know all. I see all.)

Richardm wrote:

[quote]Songjiang Rd, Lane 64, No. 7, 1F (near the Chang An E. Rd intersection)

This from aug. 2003. I hope it’s still there. [/quote]

Should still be there. I was there about a month ago. I tend to go along with 90630’s opinion of the food though. I go because my Taiwanese friend likes it.

Juba wrote:

Based on this posting I went looking for Mexican food at this place, or failing that Thai food next door. Both are now closed according to some other vendors there. I also found the layout for this new round foodery pretty confusing. Unlike the average food court you have to wander all over the round layout from place to place looking for something you want and they are spaced pretty far apart. Inefficient at best.

[quote]blueface666 wrote:
I just got a phone call from Amy. She reopened this past Saturday night. The new location is:

Songjiang Rd, Lane 64, No. 7, 1F (near the Chang An E. Rd intersection)
[/quote]

[/quote]

That was a mistake. :blush: The correct number is 2531-9246. More info, directions etc check out this thread:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … c&start=15

We went to Tequila Sunrise last week. The drinks were fine, but the food was not quite Mexican. It honestly tasted a bit like the chef had mixed a fast food burrito with sweet and sour pork or hot pot. Though it was not entirely unpleasant, it was not what we had expected.

Thanks Blueface666 for guidance on locating La Casita, and my apologies for failing to do a simple search!

there are 3 places on this earth where you can get good mexican food:
MEXICO california and new mexico.if you know mexican food for real you know this

Mexican food in Chicago is awfully good too.

Depends on whether you’re talking bout TexMex or real Mexican. I prefer TexMex.

I was suckled on tamales/enchiladas/burritos and tacos same as kids here are suckled on stinky tofu and hot pot.

In Chicago it’s mainly real Mexican. But dominated by northern Mexican, so actually fairly similar to Tex-mex I guess. Come to think of it, I don’t really know what Tex-mex is, being from California. What’s the distinction anyway? Chili is Tex-mex but not Mexican, right? All the others you mention–tamales, enchiladas, burritos, etc are staples of northern Mexican food AFAIK.

Mexican food is more seafood and veggie based. Not so much deep fried stuff. Lighter. More corn than flour. Beans. Mole sauce. It’s more akin to Spanish food. Quite tasty.

Tex Mex is much heavier. More stodge. Spicier, but less flavourful (you know what I mean?) It’s what has been served here in Taiwan under the name Mexican cuisine. It’s Tex Mex. It’s comfort food. It’s what southerners grow up eating.

I’m making shrimp Vera Cruz on Wednesday.

in lieu of alternatives go for la casita, albeit on last visit no guacamole available. i

I’ve gotten trashed with Roland (Amy’s husband) any number of times… :laughing:

We went to Tequila Sunrise a couple weeks ago and it was pretty bad…
Lots of oil and grease and no taste. Give this place a miss…

I know it’s somewhat of a Long Shot, But anyone know of a Good Mexican Restaurant in Taipei? I’ve lived here a little over a year, and I’m dying for some Greasy Cheesey Mexican Food. I make my own, but I’m not that good at it (Old El Paso box stuff). :rainbow: In any case, Enjoy Life!

Taipei Sports had a pretty decent chicken enchilada(?) plate at the last Hoppy Hour.

There’s another place called something like “Juka’s” which is just plain awful. I think it’s near the Tech Building MRT stop.

Actually, it’s called J.U.K.E., which stands for Jake’s Urban Kitchen East. It’s an offshoot of Tianmu’s famous greasy spoon, Jake’s Country Kitchen. I don’t have much to say about their “Mexican” cuisine, but I really like their breakfasts. Their blueberry pancakes are still the best I’ve had in Taiwan. :thumbsup:

Try these…

Salsa Latina
#6, Lane 231, Fuxing N. Rd.

Amigo
on the west side of Fuxing N. Rd., a few blocks south of Chungshan Jr. High MRT station.