Mexican Food

i saw this place called amigo on fuxing n. rd between nanjin e rd and minsheng e. rd. no idea if its good.

skip it. Amigo seems to bake their burritos… and the ingredients suck.

La Casita’s wet burritos are great, and you can’t go wrong with the service quality or attentiveness. They have not compromised with the ingredients like Jake’s has – the La Casita salsas can be very hot if you want, and the fresh avocados used in the guacamole are a treat.

I second the recommendations for La Casita. I like their wet burritos.

Skip Amigo. I’m also not a big fan of Tequilla Sunrise near TaiDa.

I think La Casita is the best you’re going to get for Mexican food in Taipei (and I’ll be more than happy if someone proves me wrong and comes up with a place with even better and more authentic food).

La Casita is off SongJiang, in a little lane. Don’t have the address, but should be in the archives somewhere.

La Casita is the only thing even close (although if you just want chips and salsa, Chili’s serves them free during happy hours 4-6).

Just do a search for casita, there are quite a few threads, including some with the address.

TGIF. their quesadilla is just like mama made back in chihuahua.

What is a wet burrito? Does that mean it has chili on top? I’ve never seen it on the menu.

The wet burrito is near their super-burrito on the upper-left corner of the menu page with burritos. Basically it’s a burrito with a whole lot of sauce dumped over it. Although a too-dry burrito is never a problem at La Casita, it would appear that Amigo could watch and learn from these guys.

The super-burrito is worth a special mention, as my wife and I can hardly eat this monstrosity even when sharing.

The margheritas Roland does up are also something great. Best to get the pitcher!

Wow! :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:
I was going to flounder this as I figured it simply MUST be some kind of a sick joke, :wink: but since I suppose quesadillas are Mexican, and … gulp … TGIF is technically a place that sells … er… food, then it should stay.
I’ve always considered TGIF as just a more expensive MacDonald’s though.

Wow! :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:
I was going to flounder this as I figured it simply MUST be some kind of a sick joke, :wink: but since I suppose quesadillas are Mexican, and … gulp … TGIF is technically a place that sells … er… food, then it should stay.
I’ve always considered TGIF as just a more expensive MacDonald’s though.[/quote]

sandman, you wouldn’t know flounder from sole.

I dropped by La Casita this afternoon. Saw Amy and Roland. The food was great as usual.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … c&start=15

I tried this cold seafood Mexican soup once in LA…it was to die for. Very authentic.
Does anyone know what it is called?

It’s a concoction of tomatoes, onions, chiles, and lots of seafood served in a big glass cup.

Recipes for that will be much appreciated?

[quote=“webster”]I tried this cold seafood Mexican soup once in LA…it was to die for. Very authentic.
Does anyone know what it is called?

It’s a concoction of tomatoes, onions, chiles, and lots of seafood served in a big glass cup.

Recipes for that will be much appreciated?[/quote]
Ceviche is the closest thing I can think of that matches your description.
Easiest thing in the world to make, as long as you can get really fresh fish.

Get some boneless fillets of any firm-fleshed white fish (we used to use haddock or plaice). Chop them into chunks and toss into a glass (not metal or plastic) bowl. Add a good handful of uncooked shrimp tails or whatever takes your fancy.

Chop very finely some onions, tomatoes, chillis and add them to the bowl with a little salt & pepper.

Squeeze a bunch of limes, add enough lime juice to the bowl to cover the fish, add a big handful of chopped cilantro and mix well.

Put the whole lot in the fridge and leave for a few hours. The acid in the lime juice “cooks” the fish.

It’s called gaspacho

There’s no seafood in gazpacho.

Correct you are Sandman.

But the conundrum was choosing between Ceviche (not a soup) or Gaspacho (no seafood). Thinking about it, make the Ceviche and Gaspacho and mix them together? :s Might be good.

FWIW, I did end up going to La Casita’s. The food was very good. The prices were high. All in all, next time I get an unbearable craving for Mexican food, I’ll go back. Thanks to all for the tips about La Casita.

Seeker4

P.S. - I do miss the complementary chips and salsa that were the norm in every Mexican place back home. Here, they’re an appetizer.

I think there’s complementary chips & salsa at chilis during HH. Can anyone confirm this?

Read the 7th post on page one of this thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you’re in Hualien city, and you’re craving Mexican food, go to The Clubhouse. This place has great tacos, enchiladas, and nachos. They also serve hamburgers, curry, pizza, and pork. Prices are incredibly low and everything is freshly made. The Clubhouse’s address is: Guo Hsing 3rd St., #60 (very close to the front of the train station). Their phone number is (03) 834-1818. You can e-mail the owner at hualien_clubhouse@hotmail.com See you there!!!

La Caista is still the “go-to” place in Taipei for Mexican food.

Had a great “super” burrito there the other day. If you want it spicy, let them know. They have some habaneros with some kick.

Good stuff, and still the best Mexican (or Taiwanese Tex-Mex) in Taipei.