Mexican Peso Stronger than Usual

My friend lives in Mexico City (Taiwanese married to local there) so looking at exchange rates for a trip, and saw the peso has gone up more than Euro or USA Dollars this past few years? Why is it so strong, Is it so many Americans buying pesos or Mexican products like cars? Thinking of flying via Europe on one my work trips there.

US manufacturing moving to Mexico. My Taiwanese company just opened a plant in Juarez. Originally we were asked by the US government to open in Arizona but it’s impossible. Expensive and shoddy work force.

6 Likes

I just got back from Mexico. It’s expensive AF. A continental breakfast is $20 USD, it’s half that in Brazil. And I was in Guadalajara. Mexico City is even more expensive. Great climate there too.

Food in Guadalajara is about the same as it is in large US city like Washington, DC.

Uber is slightly cheaper than the US.

1 Like

Chinese manufacturing is going there too.

1 Like

That’s odd. We’re going there and to Vietnam so we can close our factories in China. Bastards are following us.

4 Likes

Really? How come in the past and now price is 80% less that you say it is , like NT$200 here (even with strong peso)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Café+de+Raíz/@19.4175808,-99.1569241,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipO0K7l1XM1ofbspbWnsJJLpS80tYF6C00QS2VL6!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipO0K7l1XM1ofbspbWnsJJLpS80tYF6C00QS2VL6%3Dw203-h360-k-no!7i2268!8i4032!4m9!3m8!1s0x85d1ff3ad69645ed:0xd90684c12d8cf921!8m2!3d19.4175808!4d-99.1569241!10e5!14m1!1BCgIYIQ!16s%2Fg%2F1tdpgjzd?entry=ttu

Where did you eat US$20 breakfast at?

It looks like Hiwin is operating in Mexico too. I see their plant on my way to the airport in Guadalajara.

It’s where you shop :wink: Mexico is still cheap. Follow the real estate if you want a more real evaluation of how things are going. Even then, it’s just ports and borders. Cartels still make many areas cheap and scary!

20usd meals Means people are not shopping “locally”. Fancy folks like fancy stories. The chili’s and chickens are all from the same farms :wink:

But, on those border/port towns. Yikes. It’s as cringey as Thailand 20 years ago but they can actually manufacture and ship quick. Comes with the territory I guess. Business is business. Mexico is a big player that only grows. Curb the crime in mexico and Vietnam can just go be China’s slave (in regards to US)

1 Like

Of course not. It was a breakfast buffet at the Marriott. :joy: It’s still twice as much as a breakfast buffet in Sao Paulo.

I was in an area of town where street food wasn’t readily available. I did find a street vendor to sell me a big cup of mango and papaya for 50 pesos (about 3 bucks).

I think Mexico will become the next economic superpower.

*edit: twice as much, not half as much. I’m losing it today.

Breakfast buffet at the Marriott is at least 20 USD anywhere in the world I have been.

I just feel sorry for all the poor people who will struggle to pay for this while they are staying at the Marriot.

3 Likes

I’m no economist (I certainly don’t believe in economism) but in my understanding the strength of the peso is mainly related to interest rates. When a central bank sets the basic interest rates higher it tends to strengthen the currency. Mexico’s central bank “front-ran” the US Fed and raised interest rates much higher relatively early, in part to protect their currency.

haha, yes. In Kao City the Marriot is nice but so many nice food options nearby.

A story a why sometimes people eat at hotels even at high cost. Went to Taipei, meet American business man, he was at the Courtyard Marriott. Had breakfast, nice buffet he did not eat any of the Asian items at all (which i thought was the best part, the American food was not good). Anyways fine. Later lunch, a Taipei partner set up nice lunch at Hsinyi Nanshan towers, asked if Chinese food was ok (dumplings) he said good. Anyways went there, had dumplings , his face looked like what is this , he ate like 2? So the host tried find other food he liked, he wanted egg rolls and some other American chinese food haha (which they did not have). Later back at the hotel, they have Starbucks cafe with high prices he ate a lot there. Not all business travellers can eat local foods so they eat at the American or whatever hotels for simple food at sky high prices.

I’m almost with you there. I don’t think they be become a super power, but certainly one of the big players no doubt. They certainly have everything going for them, just need to curb the cartel type shit.

1 Like

That may be one factor. Foreign money entering is another.

Mexico is also experiencing a foreign investment boom.

1 Like

Yup. Being diverted from China.

Actually, $20 USD meals are quite common in restaurants in Mexico. Maybe not breakfast.

Sure. $800 meals here are too. But I wouldn’t call it the norm as far as representing Mexico. It’s more for the wealthy classes. Or wealthier. The wealth gap is going to be an issue in Mexico. 20 dollar breakfasts aren’t even the tip of that ice berg. Meanwhile, most people probably eat 20 cent breakfasts. But monetary value is, at its core, 100% subjective.

Crime is still big problem, but I guess drugs Americans eat bring in millions of pesos.