Michael Brown Shot and Killed in St. Louis

A young black man who was scheduled to start college this week was shot and killed on Saturday. I think it’s important that we be cautious and reserve judgment until learning more about the case. What is reported in the media is often geared towards provoking an emotional response, and in many cases the truth of the incident is not revealed until all details are known. Also, the accounts reported thus far vary widely. Still, it is an absolute tragedy. Michael had been accepted to college and was scheduled to begin this Monday. His father said that they were looking forward to dropping him off at his first day of college on Monday, they were so proud. Instead, they attended his funeral. Community members of Ferguson, the St. Louis suburb where the incident took place, have become enraged, looting and engaging in both violent and non-violent protests. Michael’s mother has stated she doesn’t want any violence in her son’s name, only justice.

More from CNN:

[quote]It’s a case of he said, he said. The accounts of why a police officer fatally shot Michael Brown on a street in Ferguson, Missouri, on Saturday couldn’t be more disparate.

One side says the teenager was surrendering, his hands in the air to show he was unarmed, when the officer opened fire. Authorities counter that Brown attacked the officer in his car and tried to take his gun.

The St. Louis suburb of 21,000 was wracked by violence as protesters outraged over the 18-year-old’s shooting faced off with police.

Although there were reports that some demonstrations were peaceful – protesters held up their hands, as Brown reportedly did, and others demanded a fair inquiry, chanting, “No justice, no peace” – there were also reports of fires, looting, vandalism and attacks on police officers.

Dorian Johnson, 22, told CNN that he and Brown were walking in the middle of the street when a white male officer pulled up and told them, “Get the f*** on the sidewalk.” The young men replied that they were “not but a minute away from our destination, and we would shortly be out of the street,” Johnson said.

The officer drove forward but stopped and backed up, almost hitting the pair, Johnson said.

“We were so close, almost inches away, that when he tried to open his door aggressively, the door ricocheted both off me and Big Mike’s body and closed back on the officer,” Johnson said.

Still in his car, the officer then grabbed Brown by his neck, Johnson said. Brown tried to pull away, but the officer kept pulling Brown toward him, he said.

The officer drew his weapon, and "he said, ‘I’ll shoot you’ or ‘I’m going to shoot’ " and almost instantaneously fired his weapon, hitting Brown, Johnson said.

Johnson and a bloodied Brown took off running, and Johnson hid behind the first car he saw, he said. The officer got out of his car.

“I saw the officer proceeding after my friend Big Mike with his gun drawn, and he fired a second shot and that struck my friend Big Mike,” Johnson told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer. “And at that time, he turned around with his hands up, beginning to tell the officer that he was unarmed and to tell him to stop shooting. But at that time, the officer firing several more shots into my friend, and he hit the ground and died.”

As federal civil rights investigators and the FBI carry out their own inquiry into the case, tensions are running high in Ferguson, where there’s a history of distrust between the predominately black community and the largely white police force.

Brown was African-American. Police have not identified the shooter, but a witness told CNN on Tuesday that the officer who opened fire is a Caucasian male.[/quote]

cnn.com/2014/08/11/us/missou … index.html

I think we should bomb these perpetrators and rioters from above, that’ll teach them.

What a pointlessly snarky and disrespectful response. Poor form. :thumbsdown:

Pointing out double standards that’s all.

[/quote]

girl 1: oh yea, bring it on!

girl 2: it be broughten, bitches!

[/quote]

girl 1: oh yea, bring it on!

girl 2: it be broughten, bitches![/quote]

SEXIST!!!

Back on point. Police have now become armies and their ultimate safety has put regular people at risk. The pendulum has swung too far.

Again?

I think that there’s something really wrong with the recipe for doughnuts in USA…

Relevant to the situation?

talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/recipe-for-trouble

[quote=“MikeN”]Relevant to the situation?

talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/recipe-for-trouble[/quote]

Could be. But, not necessarily. After all, what percentage of the NBA is black? What percentage is white? How do those compare/contrast to/with the US black/white populations?

I haven’t looked beyond some of the headlines in this case, so, I really don’t know anything about the situation.

Benjamin crump is representing the family, Al Sharpton is pushing for release of the officers name, Obama has chimed in and the DOJ and the FBI are all over it.

I expect this policeman will be charged very shortly, and if the forensics are even close to what the witnesses have said I’ll eat my hat if hes not convicted.

I’ve found the behavior of the police to be absolutely appalling. And I say this as someone who typically gives police officers, soldiers, and others acting under the color of authority a fairly high threshold of credulity, because I know how difficult their jobs and situations can be. But what’s happening in Ferguson is obscene. Police have showed up at candlelight vigils and other non-violent protests in full riot gear and in great numbers, fired tear gas at unarmed civilians engaging in peaceful protest, ignored a man who was begging for medical attention, unlawfully arrested two reporters and a city alderman (the latter of which is still in custody), and just generally acted like brutes who couldn’t give a fuck about the people they’re supposed to be protecting, or indeed the Constitution. The very first change Americans made to the US Constitution, the First Amendment, guarantees among other things the freedom of the press, and the right to assemble. One of the civilians gassed by the militarized police was in fact the state senator for the district. She asked the chief of police if his officers are going to gas her again, to which he replied, “I hope not.” I find the police department’s cavalier attitude to be shocking.

All of the witnesses to the shooting have indicated that Michael Brown was trying to get away, but the officer chased him down and killed him for absolutely no reason. Michael had his hands in the air and was saying, “I’m unarmed!” when the officer shot and killed him. I want to hear the officer’s side of the story, and learn more about the forensic evidence (e.g., was the officer injured as claimed, did Michael Brown attempt to enter the police vehicle, etc.), but the eye witness testimony thus far is fairly damning.

Even if the facts of the case eventually begin to paint a picture more in favor of the officer’s side, that doesn’t excuse the absurd and brutish behavior of the police. The reporters who were arrested in the McDonald’s were physically assaulted before they were taken into custody. One of the reporters was taken over to the window and his head was slammed into the glass, and the other was slammed into the soda foundation. The reporters were from the Washington Post and Huffington Post, and they were wearing their press ID badges at the same.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]

Back on point. Police have now become armies and their ultimate safety has put regular people at risk. The pendulum has swung too far.[/quote]

wow Deuce, you ARE on point!

mashable.com/2014/08/13/ferguson … -main-link

on the left is Ferguson, Missouri, the right Iraq

Why don’t you remind Forumosans (and yourself) this, every time a foreigner makes the news here… like in A real laowai adding fuel to the fire. Where was your call for cautious & reserved judgment? Every time a foreigner hits the TW media, certain segments here predictably ALWAYS wail “racism” & “xenophobia”, framing events to fit their own perspective & narrative. And did these racemongering foreigners apologize when they realized they were wrong??? NO. So don’t expect TW media or locals to do the same & change.

I know little about conflict resolution, but this is NOT the optimum way to reduce alleged racism & xenophobia. For Michael Brown, black leaders have the most influence to urge restraint… not whites, which may produce the opposite effect. For Jason, local TWese have the most influence.

The calm, cautious, reserved judgment you are advocating & practicing on this thread… easy when we’re all an ocean away. Easier still when the targeted group isn’t even yours. Next time a foreigner hits TW media, try the same here… publicly.

PS. I only chanced on this thread because I wanted to know in what context Jesus used the N word.

I didn’t make any comment about the foreigner involved in that situation. I provided my conclusions after repeatedly watching Taiwanese TV for three months straight, and then periodically over the years as I visit my in-laws (who leave the television on Taiwanese TV for several hours a day). The general tone of Taiwanese media and entertainment is clearly racist and disrespectful towards foreigners, and it never changes, year after year. I haven’t seen the media’s coverage of the incident in question, which is why I did not make a comment about it. However, given the pattern I have observed over the past 12 years, the comments that other posters made are not surprising. I have trouble believing that any reasonable person could watch Taiwanese television and not recognize the racism and xenophobia perpetuated by the media there.

In any case, you’re drawing a false analogy. You’re not comparing my assessment of the tone of American media vs. Taiwanese media. You’re comparing my call for caution on making judgments about the officer in question to my general assessment of the Taiwanese media. Want to try again?

Where’s the popcorn? :popcorn:

They had this with the first day of rioting and arson and managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. This is what happens when you tear down the projects.

As for the actual event that started this, load your copy of Rashomen now…

The RWBHs might actually be onto something when they talking about arming yourselves to defend against the State. Obviously you’d lose in the arms race, but fakkin hell ,how is that kind of spending and ridiculous show of force a net positive?

America! FUCK YEAH!!!

Here’s a video of a CNN interview of two people who apparently witnessed part of the events being discussed:

Here’s a video of an interview of Dorian Johnson, who was apparently Michael Brown’s friend, and who apparently was with Michael Brown during the greater part of the events in question:

The eye witness accounts posted by Charlie Jack largely agree with one another. It appears that Michael was trying to get away, but the policeman chased him down and killed him in cold blood. Again, we need all of the facts, but wow, those accounts are harrowing. Apparently, the police officer was very upset that the two young men were walking in the street rather than the sidewalk. What kind of crazy shit is that? Sure, they should be using the sidewalk, but I see people walking in the street all the time. Whole families very often, stretched out horizontally, Reservoir Dogs style, as if they owned the road. Sure, it’s irritating, but it doesn’t justify death.

A young man who just finished high school, and was on the cusp of bigger and better things is gunned down in the street, and this entertains you?

[quote]They had this with the first day of rioting and arson and managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. This is what happens when you tear down the projects.

As for the actual event that started this, load your copy of Rashomen now…[/quote]

I have no idea what any of that means. :loco: