Middle-aged singles in Kaohsiung?

OK, well I suppose I’m one of a small number of people on the leading, bleeding edge of undertaking this particular exploration with boots-on-the-ground here in KHH. I’ll post here again if I have any positive results worth sharing (and I invite others to do likewise). Good luck to all.

3 Likes

be the trailblazer.
you are probably a decade within my age, so if you are like me, just have a go-get-'em, devil-may-care attitude.
Try all kinds of things to meet women mentioned above.
What have you got to lose?
At your age, certainly not embarrassment, right? You’re confident, so who cares.
Taiwanese girls can accept being 10-15 years younger than you if you are the right match.
To plagiarize Nike, just do it.

And of course, report back here with results. :+1:

4 Likes

I get your meaning. The above is what I always do. I’ve just found KHH to be a tougher nut to crack than some other places. That is the result I can report thus far. It doesn’t mean I’m stopping… I still move forward, and sometimes sharing intel on the particulars of a given terrain is useful.

Just to reiterate, this isn’t just about meeting women, but also making social connections generally. I’m aware of the general recommendations, and some of them worked well for me in other locations. As someone pointed out (whatswiththeyams), some of the usual strategies don’t always work out as well in a given locale. My only limitation is that I prefer to avoid any activity/venue with an alcohol focus. Just a personal preference for reasons I don’t want to get into.

Not a problem, just a project.

What were your results in Kaohsiung?

You need to get yo salso on…

1 Like

I have things to. I just sit in coffee shops in the afternoons because I’m lazy.

OP: I would second the Tinder suggestion. I haven’t used it myself since I’m off the market, but I know a few older people who do and find that it works out very well.

1 Like

I never used Tinder, but according to data posted on Reddit you have to do a lot of swiping to land a date.
Your mileage may vary.

Yeah, I can believe that. I have used dating apps in the past and you can definitely waste an awful lot of time on them. If you were looking for one-night stands you’d probably spend waaaay more time swiping than, um, horizontal jogging. However, if you’re looking for something a bit more permanent, the initial effort might be worth it.

I reckon there’s room in the market for a dating app that incorporates some AI that learns your preferences and matches you with other members’ AIs doing the same thing :slight_smile:

1 Like

That reminds me of Black Mirror.

1 Like

I’ve found that it’s a peculiarity of Taiwan that there are way, way too many women who will chat endlessly online but never meet in person.

Kaohsiung has the additional issue that the number of women on online dating is a tiny fraction of what you have in Taipei.

Any success stories with online dating in Kaohsiung? Sounds like nobody has one yet!

If you mean online via meetup group/Line group then yes (friends and dates via common interest activity in my case coffee/food/English/Japanese) in Kaoshuing. But meet most new local friends from being out and about, at cafes, shops, ect. I try chat in Chinese, then changes to English or Japanese after they find my Chinese just soso (or recently a girl use her phone as translator), then a new local friend is made. ( I find recently if get their LINE ID and chat, things move faster)

As far as I know, people use “online dating” to mean things like OKcupid and Tinder. If your meaning is that finding people in-real-life works better than online dating, then yes, it agrees with my experience.

Age correction. A lot of them actually prefer guys that are 30 years older if you can imagine that. Time to change the dynamics.

So you are telling me there is still a chance ? :wink:

I guarantee it.

1 Like

You just have to be particular in what you’re looking for. Trust me they’re out there. Especially in Kaohsiung.

I did have a spell living there . There must be someone looking for an English gentleman in peak physical condition :joy:

3 Likes

Use it to your advantage and be open minded.

Nothing in life is guaranteed, my friend.

Guy

2 Likes

Death and taxes?

3 Likes

I suppose the former is not technically “in life.” And our right-wing libertarian friends are working on the latter! : P

Guy