Missing Person, David Allan Broderick, “Dave”, Canadian

Owleyes nailed it above. Quoted part and reasons not to take the wife’s word for anything regarding the helicopter or CCTV.

In Taiwan and China its not that rude to lie to somebody, it’s just rude to tell somebody you know they are lying. Wife is probably emboldened by the fact the other party is on the other side of the planet too.

I’ve done a bit of looking in English and Chinese and it would seem a long shot shot that such a commercial search and rescue company exists.

If there was a search, it would have been done by the police/coast guard and there would be extensive paper trail as it’s no small/cheap endevour to put a helicopter and crew up in the air on a SAR.

A private helicopter can be chartered in Taiwan but you’d just be Eyeballing dense jungle (from pretty high up) which is pointless - especially if you don’t know where to look. I’m not sure it’s even legal to import thermal imaging kit and bolt it to a helicopter in Taiwan unless you are police / military and that’s true for most places in the world. Taiwan may be especially strict as they have a lot of actively deployed ordinance on the west coast.

Also - does anyone know a local lawyer they could ask about the divorce / wifes marital status? Seems fishy that the other party is legally required to be missing for three years yet the wife has already apparently been granted a divorce. Possibly some Guanxi in action?

Finally. Would Dave’s APRC/ARC card not need a renewal soon? Isn’t it in offense to let them lapse for too long? Trying to think if there is any bureaucratic consequence of Dave not filing taxes, renewing ID, paying vehicle insurance etc that would lead to a criminal investigation that may be on record somewhere?

3 Likes

I read before if you could prove that your spouse is uncontactable you could initiate divorce. Something along those lines anyway. Abandonment ?

I think Davesbro needs to take a trip over to Taiwan to investigate . I’ll chip in a little cash and I’m sure others would to. Private detectives here are pretty dodgy, if could get police looking into it or concerned citizens I personally think it would be much better.
Then when davesbro is here he could get in the media and get it publicised more too.

3 Likes

This is an unhelpful extrapolation of a bit of cultural knowledge in my opinion. Outside of outright psychopathic behavior, the cultural disposition towards making a face-saving lie is not going to extend to an extremely serious situation such as this. However you would explain a lie here, that’s not how.

1 Like

Very possible in Taitung district small town. They are kind of known for it.

1 Like

I have someone in the police checking to see status . But don’t hold your breath , sorry . If no progress soon , I can call the Mayor of Taitung …let’s see what police say .

10 Likes

Can we confirm that Dave has not left Taiwan? Has the MOI been approached for this information?

Is there an officer in charge of this missing persons case?

Where did you read that ? If it is a copy of the police report it may help if there is an original station/Officer listed .

That was a convo he was having with Icon about the missing Taichung teacher.

Oh thanks…I was a bit confused . Seems Taiwan Policing is about as efficient as the banking system…sigh . my Guys asking for more info to check . You would think anyone could press a button to check missing persons…sigh .

1 Like

What is needed is to put the word out there in local Chinese language press. I would prefer it be done by the Canadian Office or FAP so that it won’t stray into the usual anti foreigner diatribes too much.

The missing woman in Taichung saw herself in the news, realized her family was worried, established contact. If Dave somehow took off but is still in Taiwan, he may see it and contact his family. Otherwise, Davebro may still find some witness, some information.

3 Likes

The picture that forms in my mind is of a tall, handsome, athletic and outdoorsy Canadian, already well into middle age, getting into a relationship with a very attractive, sensual, adventurous and fun-loving young Taiwanese woman who is 20 years or more younger than him. They become immersed in a passionate romance, going scuba-diving, camping, traveling, partying, and enjoying so many pleasures together while also sharing an intense mutual physical attraction, seemingly a pair of perfect soulmates.

Their relationship culminates in a highly romantic marriage ceremony in July 2011 (they are a strikingly good-looking couple in the wedding photos on her FB page), and the birth of a beautiful little girl in November 2013. He remains infatuated with his wife, even adopting her name (calling himself David Weng on FB), and dotes upon his daughter.

But something starts to go sour between them. He drinks heavily (in photos so often with beer in hand or big mugs of beer in front of him), is touching 50, has a receding hairline, is putting on weight, losing more and more of the looks and vitality that had so attracted her. Her ardour cools and they start getting into rows.

She feels and expresses growing resentment at his having less money than her, the spoiled daughter of an affluent family, and being unable to provide her with the comforts and luxuries that she has been used to. Her family members stir the pot with pointed remarks about his financial status. The stresses and constraints of motherhood add to her feelings of dissatisfaction.

They have a very big row and she leaves him, taking her daughter with her and going to stay with her family in Taitung. He is still deeply in love with her, cannot bear to lose her, and desperately wants to get her back. His life is so painfully empty without the woman he loves and their child. He rides his scooter all the way from Taipei to Taitung to go to her and try to persuade her to return to him.

She adamantly refuses, backed up by her family, making it absolutely clear to him that their marriage is over and they’ll never get together again. He is shattered, inconsolably miserable. Maybe she feels pity for him, but hardens her heart against it. He leaves on his scooter to ride back to the north in a state of dizzy despair, hardly knowing what he is doing.

In such situations, it’s all too easy for a foreigner, isolated in an alien and unsympathetic environment so far from family, homeland or any kind of emotional support, to completely lose his bearings and sink into an abyss of dejected self-abandonment. Like the case of the young American guy – it must have been 20 years ago or more – who went to pieces when his Taiwanese girlfriend died in a jetski accident in Kenting, wandered aimlessly around Taiwan, sleeping rough, jumping on and off trains, and lost his legs when he was run over by a train.

In Dave’s case, anything might have happened to him after his scooter packed up before he had got even halfway home. Perhaps the people in those two cars saw this despairing foreigner stranded there, offered him a lift, and dropped him off in some remote location when he asked them to do so. Maybe somewhere along the Suhua Highway, where the sea glitters invitingly at the foot of the cliff far below the road. Maybe that’s where he ended it all, or maybe he took off up into the mountains.

Or maybe, as others have surmised, there was foul play by the people in those cars, or by the wife or her family, or with some link between the two. Not so likely, I feel, but still possibilities.

Certainly, the wife’s account of the helicopter search is massively implausible, and she ought to be questioned very closely about what happened in that fateful last meeting and afterwards.

Perhaps she felt guilty about what she had done to him, knew very well that something very bad might have happened to him because of it, and threw out the mention of the helicopter search to try to mask her guilty conscience about, and the blame attachable to her for, causing him to be in the state he was in when she spurned his last plea to her.

I only hope that the mystery of his disappearance can be cleared up, and that his Canadian family can find the answers they need and are so anxiously seeking.

11 Likes

Takes a lot to get Omni back on these pages
WB

2 Likes

Jesus, Mystic Meg done a book. :notworthy:

Missing Dave but found Omni :astonished:

5 Likes

A good story, maybe K-man at Taiwannews can publish it under a pseudoym. Cliche, but good.

1 Like

It reads like a FX mystery ‘documentary’.
Omni, second career calling ?

Taking the wife’s family name is unusual but not unheard of. It can happen in rich families here where you ‘marry in’.

1 Like

I don’t like that rich people here can fuck around with the law and that foreigners are disrespected and have nobody to care for them .
I’m ready to pony up 100 USD and I hope others can do if Davesbro commits to coming here and investigating what happened. We need to even the scoreboard and help his family find out what happened. Let’s see if any trace of him can be detected in the next week or two , if not…

3 Likes

Wait, what, there’s a scoreboard?

1 Like

Yeah it’s the one where foreigners get fucked over for being well…Foreigners.

3 Likes

And foreigners are losing badly.

3 Likes