Missing Person, David Allan Broderick, “Dave”, Canadian

This is exactly what you should tell Dave’s ex-wife over a cup of coffee, one on one, when you get here. Make a real human connection, work together to find out what happened to Dave, make peace and establish a bridge to his Daughter.

2 Likes

Jesus Christ. Way to turn back the clock 100 years.

1 Like

He’s never been here, Bear.

Leaving Taiwan by fishing boat is not cheap and not at all easy without the right contacts.
Just out of curiosity why would someone ride a scooter to Taipei from Taitung? Why not get a train? My back hurts riding from Taipei to Taoyuen let alone Taitung. A large size bike over 250cc tends to be easier but not a smallish scooter. If someone could afford a fishing boat they could easily afford the overstay fine, or a hotel etc

I interpret the “bad communication” comment as that she probably complained to him about poor communication at some point.

I’ve got pretty upset when girls I fancied would just stop saying anything to me. And we were just friends. Imagine your wife with your daughter doing this to you would suck bad. Idk but Taiwanese women seem particularly good at this.
If he indeed didn’t have anyone else around him… Well it depends on your personality. But loneliness can really get to you, plus being utterly rejected by his wife; he may well have been in a state of complete despair. Well, suicide seems very likely to me.

1 Like

What was in all those texts, were there threats to commit suicide ? The wife hasn’t been fully forthcoming,I wouldn’t be surprised if there were.
Now she may not have shared that because of different reasons like face, embarrassment or fear of getting sued or whatever…There could be many reasons.

I do think after all this further information has come out that it looks quite probable (last mobile signal location background situation, texts). It still requires further info from the authorities to clarify .
Davesbro, try not to focus on it too much to the detriment of your own family life and work , you have made good progress already. Hope you can meet your niece and see if you can maintain that connection. If you can’t it’s not your fault either given the circumstances .

Also, about not having many friends from childhood. That’s really pretty common even for people who never moved. I just stay in touch with a couple of neighbourhood guys. Most of my buddies are from my college days.

Dave’s wife’s family.

1 Like

Anyone know the exact time of last cell phone contact with a station/tower?

News reports that last known cell phone call(s) was (were) at the telecom base station of Xiulin Village, Shih An Mt, …#9 Lin Ban area, but time unknown.

1 Like

Thank you for putting the GoFundMe ad up
Screenshot_20190301-233650_Samsung%20Internet

7 Likes

Keeping quiet is not the same as being okay with it… In the Taiwanese society, it’s never okay for a man to not provide for his family. So, no, not working for several years would most likely not be okay to the wife and the family, regardless of whether they needed the money.

4 Likes

Then why stay with him?
Why marry him?
Why have a baby with him?
Does it take 7 years to figure that out?
Or did she just want him to have a baby and then good riddance ?

Actually, it’s similar in Western society.
Eventually, a family, or anyone, will get tired of supporting a man, blood relative or not, if he isn’t doing anything to, or trying to, contribute. A situation ripe for friction with other family members.

3 Likes

What airports does Taiwan have?
…and for me wanting to go to Taitung and the cliff area which airport makes most sense?
Also where does Shakadang trail lead?
Screenshot_20190302-031843_Samsung%20Internet

I assume coming from Canada it would have to be a major airport.

TPE… you can train to Hualien & Taidong from there.

1. Cheaper
  2. On a weekend, it takes an act of God to book a seat. And standing for 5 hours ain’t funny.

Songshan airport in the northern part of Taipei City - but still in the middle of the city. Fully accessible by own metro stop, or bus, taxi, bike. Daily 45 minute flights by at least 2 Local companies to Taitung…Or Green Island.

Once you get there, you can book Uber/someone from here can help you get around. Maybe a Canadian big wig can help you smooth things with authorities.

OK but there are coaches as well. It seems kind of far to scooter it. I’ve known people to do long rides but it tends to be a well planned journey that’s done as an adventure. If I saw a friend on his bike in Taipei and we chatted and he said he was riding down to Taidong on his 125cc I’d be pretty impressed. That must take around 10 hours on a scooter, no? Considering you’d stop to pee and eat etc. You’d have to use the backroads not the highway. Anyone actually done this trip on a scooter?

Eh there is no highway over there. There used to be a short cut we lost in 921. As a matter of fact, that Suao portion is prone to landslides every typhoon season.

Scooter gives you more mobility when you get to Taitung, where buses are not an option. I guess Dave was out of funds. He also had limited Chinese. Getting a long range bus ticket is also not so easy.

2 Likes

ok fair enough. I’m not very familiar with life down there in the sticks.