Missionaries in Taiwan, how do you treat them?

When I see missionaries I…

• Pretend I don’t see them
  • Confront them (somewhat passively agressively)
  • Greet them

0 voters

:pray:

I remember running into Latter day Saints all the time (did I spell that right?) and they would always go out of their way to make eye contact with me and invite me to their church. I always declined, but I did once in a while hang out with these two missionaries who were around my age, who were basically pretty normal in a lot of ways.

They were telling my all sorts of crazy stories. How there is “missionary gossip”, how you are not allowed to watch TV, movies, and call girls with your cellphone. THey are also not allowed to talk to a woman that is by herself unless that missionary is accompanied with his partner.

What’s also interesting is that the majority of the missionaries seem to be men. I don’t think I have ever really seen any women out as missionaries actually. And they are always wearing the standard formal clothing. You wonder how they can ever stand the heat and humidity with such clothes on.

It all depends on whether they know how to use the Search function to find out if a topic has had the shit kicked out of it already before posting…

Oh my bad, here maybe we can delete this then.

Sorry, the search function doesn’t seem to be working well for me.

I’ve seen a couple of women. A pair just a couple of weeks ago. Their name tag says “Sister” instead of “Elder” which strikes me as funny. I had a nice chat with a couple in the FA police station many years back, I was enjoying explaining my atheistic views to one before the other, aggressive one stepped in to bust it up :slight_smile:

[quote=“Rabidpie”]Oh my bad, here maybe we can delete this then.

Sorry, the search function doesn’t seem to be working well for me.[/quote]

HEY! That was an awfully civilized response to my thoroughly snotty reply. You better watch that, fella.

You can start here.

At least one Forumostanian (AND closepersonalfriendofMINE) made his original trip here on his LDS mission, although he has since left the fold.
The Elders (and Sisters, now) have a much more intense visibility here than at home, let’s just say they’re easy to pick out in a crowd.
Add to that the always dependable hysterics that are guaranteed to be generated around here the second anyone mentions Ree-LIDGE-un, and, well, take a look for yourself…

Alternative reply:
Make a dry poultice of baking soda and distilled water.
Cover during the day and leave open at night, keeping dry and clean.
They should disappear in 3 or 4 days.

I pull out the big cooking pot, throw in some turnips and veg, add a bit of salt and pepper…bobs your uncle!

I kindly greet them and ask if they have heard of The Flying Spaghetti Monster and His teachings.

Just say hi. They’re only kids, away from home for the first time. I’ve never yet met a single solitary mormon missionary who has tried to “convert” me or who has even shown an interest in talking shop – you’re not their target demographic. They WILL probably be keen to find out what the fuck you’re doing here and will show an interest in that.
But if you meet one called Scott from (I think) Utah, DON’T give him a go on your motorbike. Little bastard popped a 20-yard wheelie on mine, right outside the 7-11 near my house!
“Yeah, I ride a bit at home. They don’t let us do that here, though.”

ask them if they’ve seen the golden plates.

Ask them if they’ve ever seen that one Southpark episode.

There’s no sin in reactivating an old topic with revitalised energy. Trust me, I do it all the time. Some of those old posts are out of date and need a scrubbing.

Whenever I see them, I roll my eyes. It would be useless to actually try to convey the point that they are patronizing and belittling a culture by being here. They’re extremists, and extremists don’t listen to reason - only to faith.

Could you imagine what would happen if 10,000 budhists were riding around on 50cc scooters trying to convert the damned in rural Utah?

I was in Alaska last year and started bad mouthing the mormons to my tour guide. He was a young guy, around my age and we had a lot in common. We were on a white-water rafting trip in the middle of nowhere. Then he told me he was a Mormon. Boy was my face red.

They’re just people, doing what they believe is right. I spoke to a few, in my time in Taiwan. Two girls in identical dresses used to say hi to me around Shida. Why be hostile? They were never rude, ‘passive aggressive’ or whatever, to me. The Taiwanese (or myself) aren’t going to be coerced into abandoning their religions and cultural heritage by kids on bicycles, and maybe a few find something that interests them?

Pushing anti-religious viewpoints on people who didn’t ask for them is as unacceptable as religious people doing this. A little light-hearted debate is fine, I guess, but anything else would be pretty rude unless, they, y’know, whipped a contract out and made a date to collect for 2037.

Same way I great anyone else, with a smile and a hello.

These aren’t bad kids. I’ve talked to them a few times and never once did they mention any BS about converting or religion at all. They experience some of the same challenges as we do here and are much nicer to talk to than some of the eengrish teeeechers I’ve met here.

Give em a Ni Howdy and a smile.

Yeah, way to go Homey. Their bag isn’t my bag, but they’re always friendly to me, and the only battle I have is trying to get my wave in first when I see them. Heck, I’ll even wind down the car window to give them a hi and an a/c blasting on a summer’s day.

[quote=“Buttercup”]
Pushing anti-religious viewpoints on people who didn’t ask for them is as unacceptable as religious people doing this. A little light-hearted debate is fine, I guess, but anything else would be pretty rude unless, they, y’know, whipped a contract out and made a date to collect for 2037.[/quote]

How could you ask for discussion of religion any more than by being a missionary lol

It certainly would be, considering that there is nothing patronizing or belittling in peacefully evangelizing.

There may be a few extremists among them, but they are not as a group, extremists. They’re simply young people trying to spread their faith.

The local townspeople would come out to greet them, and the proprietors would be thrilled to have new customers. It’s been a while since Mormons slaughtered unbelievers.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“Buttercup”]
Pushing anti-religious viewpoints on people who didn’t ask for them is as unacceptable as religious people doing this. A little light-hearted debate is fine, I guess, but anything else would be pretty rude unless, they, y’know, whipped a contract out and made a date to collect for 2037.[/quote]

How could you ask for discussion of religion any more than by being a missionary lol[/quote]

I don’t know. I just can’t think of many less interesting conversation topics, without going into the food forum. Why pick the most obvious part of someone to talk about? I already know what they think about Jeezuz and why, so why not treat 'em like a people and find out something else?

Also, I don’t know many Amerikuns. I want to know the important stuff, not blah that an eight year old has heard before. Are they really like Britney and Madonna and Oprah and stuff? Is Gossip Girl true to life? Why are fields in Ameriker bigger than in England: is there a ratio? Do they really have horse skellingtons in the desert? Why do Amerikun policemen like donuts? Why do Amerikun girls want to do cheerleading? Why didn’t they make the repro Eiffel tower in Las Vegas smaller than the original? Y’know, stuff.

Evangelising is stupid, but they don’t know that. And since when has telling anyone they’re stupid who did not believe themselves to be so worked out well for you?