MOE Approved Schools Abroad Hot List

Hello ppl,

As recently as last summer I recall accessing the MOE database of int’l colleges referenced for ARC applications. It was found at this URL:

Even rendered entirely in Chinese the list was the source to consult for MOE’s stance re. the validity of post-secondary institutes abroad. Now the address goes the 404 way. Update me please & thanks.

I don’t think this list is what you think it is. The description says it “should be used as a reference for Taiwanese citizens who are considering to pursue further studies abroad. It should not be used as a foreign university recognition list by employers or examination authorities.” In other words, it just reflects what foreign tertiary institutions are recognized by their governments, not which ones are recognized by Taiwan’s government bodies.

For example, by my count there are 116 schools recognized by the government of Mongolia. How many of these do you think would be considered an acceptable source of degrees by the MOE?

1 Like

Presuming the list exists, where can one reference it for the listing of green-lit foreign colleges? Mine’s not there despite being nat’lly accredited in the US.

I think the list I posted is the only list. If your school is not on the list, your degree is not recognized. You can request to MOE to put your school on the list. I think someone did it, and posted it somewhere on this forum.

FYI
Regulations Governing the Assessment and Recognition of Foreign Academic Records by Institutions of Higher Education
https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=H0030039

1 Like

That is likely true, but is the reverse true? I remember seeing their list several years ago, and vaguely remember that almost all the African universities on it were in South Africa. Now there are a bunch from God knows where. Did the MOE really decide to recognize these, or is this a different kind of list?

if your school is on the list, they assess your degree, and if they find it is equivalent to taiwanese degree, they recognize it. Iiuc the regulation.

this thread and another thread linked there.

That wasn’t true the last time I looked, if I remember right

Yes. The Chinese on the MOE uni list is a bit more explicit than the English

國內各用人或考試機構採認國外學歷者,得由各該主管機 關參照「大學辦理國外學歷採認辦法」規定辦理。

So those regulations apply to “employers” as well, and not just “Institutions of Higher Education”.

Regulations Governing the Assessment and Recognition of Foreign Academic Records by Institutions of Higher Education - Article Content - Laws & Regulations Database of The Republic of China (Taiwan) tells us:

Article 4
Only foreign academic records that satisfy each of the following provisions may be assessed for recognition:

1. The educational institution from which the applicant graduated or where they have been studying but have not yet graduated shall already be listed in the reference list. An educational institution not in the reference list shall have been accredited by the government authority responsible for such educational institutions or by the professional accreditation agency for education in the country where it is located.
  2. The restrictions on the period spent undertaking a program, and the courses that must be completed shall be comparable to those prescribed for a comparable program at an educational institution in Taiwan of an equivalent academic level and nature.

So appearing in the list is just one hurdle (generally, assuming one took an ordinary curriculum, the main hurdle I would think.) The disclaimer on the list is given because employers shouldn’t assume that appearing in the list is an automatic guarantee of acceptance.

Based purely on convention, my college study didn’t constitute an ordinary curriculum as I attained the degree wholly by distance. For that matter the school defines itself as a distance ed provider. To my disapointment it’s absent in the MOE hot list.

That should’ve been the end of it. In Taiwan their gov’t is biased against distance ed. I get it. Why, then, does the University of the People get an entry in the list? It’s single nat’l (US) accreditation is from the DEAC, same as my school’s, & delivers its edu. entirely by distance. UoP’s inclusion on the list reveals there’s some kind of administrative inconsistency going on at the MOE. Ought I get to bugging them to include my school?

It sounds like they’re confused about the difference between regional accreditation and national accreditation.

The University of South Africa (Unisa) is on the list (it has a government charter), but a note indicating that its degrees are external degrees.

I’m intent on sending a formal letter pointing out discrepancies with UoP’s entry, et al., in the list v. the absence of my college. There’s a "Ms. Chang’ to contact by tel. & a db asst.'s email. Will these ppl respond?

It might take a month, but I think so. if your content is clear and specific.

Make sure they understand US universities should be regionally accredited. (Tell them to google that if they don’t know what it means.)

To do that would be shooting myself in the foot. I aim to encourage them to consistently acknowledge the validity of nat’l accred. schools & to apply it to mine by adding it to the db.

I found the updated link to the list of approved schools. In case they move it again, you can probably find the Chinese language version by searching 台灣教育部外國大學參考名冊查詢系統, then switching to English from there.
I’ve sent an email to the TECRO office in the US to see if there’s a way to get my school added–looking over the link to the legal page above, it looks like there’s a distinction between “correspondence mode” and “distance mode,” and distance mode can still qualify as long as it satisfies Article 4. So who knows. Gonna give it a shot.

2 Likes

My university is not on the database. I am getting different answers. The employer doubts that my degree can be recognized as it is not on the list. The tecro office says once my degree is authenticated then it is recognized by the Moe. Anyone knows who is actually right?

The language at the top of the list (linked 2 posts above) make it clear it’s not intended to be the final word on what schools are recognized. I’d make sure your employer sees that part.

49 孟加拉國旗 孟加拉 [Asian University for Women](javascript:void(0):wink:

@tommy525

yer welcome. :bowing:

Can guys go there ? Be letting wolves into the chicken roost