MoI changed the ID Number format

This is definitely good news, but this is going to be a huge challenge when it rolls out and we all have to contact the businesses and agencies that use ARC numbers and let them know that the numbers have changed. I’m sure they won’t have any idea why or will try and say it’s not possible to change.

1 Like

Wait until the last possible moment to update it, and hopefully by then companies will have already figured it out. Luckily the new ARCs will have the old number on the back, so that should solve most the confusion.

2 Likes

The new measure will enable foreign residents in Taiwan to make online purchases, book tickets, and register online, all of which are currently impossible due to the numbering differences.

Hmmm… Should I martyr myself and get the number immediately so I can try it out for you guys?

7 Likes

Will this new number need to be applied for?

Will new cards be mailed automatically without the current holder having to do anything?

If we have to apply for it, how will they notify everyone?

Will it be mandatory to change?

1 Like

From Brian’s helpful link: the last chance to change your ID number will be December 31, 2030 (i.e. there’ll be a ten year transition period).

Guy

2 Likes

Yes please! I am also very curious about how they will change the design of the new card to fit two numbers.

I’m due for an APRC soon, maybe I should change over at the same time.

2 Likes

I suspect that if you change status or cards, you will also change into the new number system. I doubt it’ll be optional under those circumstances.

Guy

I think what Marco means is he could wait until he is eligible for an APRC to update to the new number, rather than going to the NIA on January 2 to switch over. I’m sure he knows it is not optional.

1 Like

What a PITA.

2 Likes

ill be keeping my old card for as long as possible and try not to lose it. This is a huge PITA with none of the benefits.

Hold on hold on. We don’t know that. If it works, then I’d be all for it. I’d be happy to change my card and try.

3 Likes

I’d sign up in seconds too. But history tells me…

1 Like

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: It is certain

3 Likes

Congratulations, Marco! :rainbow:

5 Likes

I will be joining @Marco in March with APRC. :sideeye:

2 Likes

I am quite astonished by the quite low number of APRC holders according to that article.
Little over 20k isn’t really a lot compare to a country with a 23 million population, doing the math it’s 0.1%

3 Likes

Not much more benefits over ARC, when you are married to Taiwanese or your tie is just your current job.

1 Like