Mom's Pies

Those guys come to the selling area downstairs in our building every month. They sell out by noon. I am particularly fond of the cheese/pinapple pie, pecan, apple, and coffee/cheese.

For local tastes they have taro, red bean, Japanese tea and green bean flavors.

You can eat them safely, g’ment approved and all that jazz. It is supposed to be on behalf of a local children’s charity.

Their headquaters are in Taichung, but they sell on different locations around town. yes, one should be cautious when buying things “off a truck”, but many small businesses here are “mobile”.

More info:

fax: 02-8797-1716

phone for orders: 02-2627-5040 02-2627-2051

EDIT:
They deliver, still active, really busy for Christmas. If anyone wants to try, I’ll find out tomorrow when they will be here in the building. They also used to stop by Tapinglin Station on Thursday afternoon.

EDIT II:
Disclaimer: I’ve been eating them for years and so far, aside from an expanding waistline, no side effects are seen.

Thanks – the link still isn’t opening for me. I’ll try it later, from home.

so you’re making gorgeous pies that everyone raves about and they fly off the shelves of your trucks but you’re hell bent on not opening any branches and instead you prefer let customer chase you and ask your whereabouts on the net…

makes sense, doesn’t it?

You are talking about DELL computers, right? :smiley:

:laughing: Well, it’s a successful business model. There’s a Peking duck truck that seems to do quite well in Donghu, and it’s always moving around to different spots. I think they like to tease the customers. Y’know, there’s that extra element of motivation when the opportunity to buy is fleeting. Just like Girl Scout cookies in the U.S…

Plus, they eliminate the overhead of rent, keeping costs to the customer down.

This is a charity based business, not a pure profit business. If they cut corners, it’ll be elsewhere.

Many business here work like that. There is a young Singaporean woman, who makes basically 4 kinds of chocolate cake. Profits; 4 million nt. a month No kidding.

EDIT:
And they don’t even have to sell out of a truck. They put a table out, spread their goods… and puff! gone. The pies, I mean. These guys have been around for years.

Seems to. They’ve been raking it in for over a decade or so now. :raspberry:

Why not add a happy tune and copy the old ice cream truck method.

Limited time offer! Get it before the truck gets away!

Saving tens of thousands per month on rent must look good on the old books.

Has anyone seen them recently near Dapingling station? As I would head down there if they still stop there as it’s been too long since I had some of their pie… :lick:

Ahhhh Mom’s Pies,

I remember them! I used to look for their trucks in Shi-Pai near the MRT station back in 2000~2001. They told me that they were a Christian Childrens’ Charity based in Tai-Chong and they would drive up to Taipei once a week to sell pies. I’m sure I’ve got one of their fliers somewhere in my filing cabinet. Awesome pies…just like Mom used to make. I used to buy all of their apple and pumpkin pies and load up my car when I would run into them. Nice to hear that they have a location in Taipei. I’ll be checking out the website to get some holiday pies! Thanks to everyone who brought out this great news!

I feel myself getting fatter just thnking about the pies! :discodance:

Northcoast Surfer

Another company that uses this business model at times is A-Chino. A-Chino sells ice cream bars on corners (out of a freezer) for NT$50 per box of five bars.

It’s OK ice cream at a great price, and when I see one of the freezers on a corner (often in one spot for only an hour at a time), I buy enough to fill half of my freezer.

Peanut, chocolate, coffee, raspberry (my favorite), and a donut-shaped chocolate cookie (with only 4 per box) are all good.

Avoid the sweet potato ice cream bars.

If you eliminate the middle man, and pay no rent, you can sell things for less.

Question. Does a decent bakery sell bread and pastries out of a truck? I’ve heard rumors.

Today’s Thursday. Hope I remember. :smiley:

By the way, I remember we did a study on the coffee trucks on highways. Not bad business at all. I remember there was one on te way to Taichung, near Sanyi, who sold this coffeee and pastry…Mmm.

They came to the office today, while I was out doing an interview… :fume:

I just grabbed the last piece of pecan pie and the next to last piece of pineapple/coconut cheese. Barely.

They told me they are not in Tapinglin anymore. Now they park their truck in Shida Park, across from the big bakery on Shida Road -I guess in front of Roxy Junior, if it’s still there. Wednesdays around 5pm.

They also told me if you want to order pies for Christmas, better be fbefore Tuesday, as they already have a bunch of orders.

There used to be some religious sect based out of a bakery in WanLong selling good bread, anybody know if the are still around?

Does anyone know where I can go and buy some decent pies for a party? My old source has dried up and it’s rather urgent (tomorrow night). Anywhere along the Eastern half of the Blue MRT line would work (TTS to City Gov’t).

Thanks!

Religious sect and bread . . .

Hey! They used to sell some good bread in the basement of Taiwan Adventist Hospital (SW corner of Tunhua and Bade).

Sorry, the pie guys -rather, gals- left at 2pm. Would have been right on your route. Give 'em a call, it’s still early.

Where are they? I want to pick them up tomorrow around 5 or 6pm. Muchas gracias!

Data on page 2 of this thread.

They were gone at two. Dunno where they wil be tomorrow. They are located in Taichung but will deliver anywhere in Taipei. Your best bet is to call.

Thanks. I will do that.