Money no object, where in Taiwan would you live and why?

Man, this guy must be rich. He should share some $$$ with us.

2 Likes

Itā€™s just too cheap to be true.

Post starts with money no object, ends with the price for a small 2 bed in Daā€™an.

3 Likes

Cheap is my middle name

Maybe op with let us know about the 1500usd , i think thats just for the home

Yilan, beachfront apartment/house

2 Likes

Lots of American style houses in Yilan, Tainan, Pingtung or whatever. Well built and all that. Costs a fortune but Iā€™m sure you could rent them for well under 1500USD a month.

Though independently wealthy with a budget of 1500US a monthā€¦ pre COVID Iā€™d migrate like birds. Spend summer in say Germany or whatever and spend winter in Taiwan. There would be a way I could do it while staying within tourist visa rules. Could space it in such a way that Iā€™m out of Taiwan during the hottest months (June to August). Post COVID this isnā€™t really possibleā€¦ but with that kind of budget Iā€™d be able to spend it in the mountains, again away from the heat and all that.

1 Like

1500 usd is a pretty shitty budget. but if you dislike noise traffic and pollution, then iā€™d gtfo of taiwan and look for something in thailand or vietnam or something with only 1500 to play with. if you are stuck in taiwan tho, then probably hualian/taitung (along the outskirts if you want to avoid density). both are decent (well okay they are dumpy but thatā€™s going to be the case for most cities in taiwan), way less populated, next to the ocean, far far far better air than most other cities, have really nice naturey goodness near them, and quieter. both are also not too isolated (otherwise penghu would be my top choice). 1500 could carve out a nice standard of living there too.

1 Like

I have some bad news.

13 Likes

My friend the Lion King got me a nice place by his favorite tea shop.

6 Likes

I would buy the entire yushan national park, live in one of the headquarter buildings and block every road and.entrance intobthere and.live like president Kim amongst the cypress.

Money being no objectā€¦

Realistically somewhere away from landslides and as remote and natural as i can. Taidong or Hualien basically, cause i dont like smog either.

Edit 1500usd or 45k nt you can.live very comfortably in taiwan. Its not luxury, but a very happy, respectable life indeed.

4 Likes

Yeah. If you never go out, donā€™t have a family and pets, are a teetotaler and live on pao mian.

2 Likes

you must eat some expensive pao mian

2 Likes

Only the best Japanese and Korean stuff. Actually, the cheapo ones from Thailand are my favorite.

Actually not. Rent 5k, electricity 1.5k, food 10k, car/gas 8 to 10k, phone 600, health insurance something under 1k, the rest for saving and fun basically. This is incredibly easy. My first year here i.made 10k and that was for me and my girlfriend AND starting a business (buxiban). Thats hard living, theres no doubt about it. Sacrifice was real. 45k isnt. Again not.luxury, but 45k we can travel around taiwan.easily and often. International travel obviously has added expenses.

1 Like

If youre really poor you dont buy those luxury thai flavors. You buy these and rip off some chilis at night from a post harvest farm with rotting left overs onthe ground.

51zcveQiLLL.AC_SY580

Yea, I seen people make meals out of this stuff. Seriously.

Just add some bullions, soy sauce, meat balls, maybe a couple of slices of pork and hot pot stuff, and an egg, you got a real nice meal.

That thing costs 35nt for a pack of 5. Maybe itā€™s gone up to 45 now but itā€™s cheap!

5k rent? You canā€™t even get a decent shared apartment for that price in the north. How is that money being no object? 1500 USD is fine for a single person not in Taipei or Hsinchu. Any other costs and you need to be very careful and keep count of all expenses.

If money was actually no object I would live in a penthouse in Xinyi or Neihu. The rent would be at least a couple 100k though.

I am replyingbto another post, not mkney being no object. But answerto your question, dont live in the north hahaā€¦easy

5k gets you a 3 floor house plus a roof relatively easily.

Where do you live? In your mateā€™s toilet?

I live in a cheap place, and even thatā€™s 17k. Donā€™t want private medical insurance? Fine. Donā€™t start crying if you get mangled by a truck, need a transplant or chemo. NHI isnā€™t going to cover it. My insurance is 5k/month. I sleep much better knowing that Iā€™m covered.
Want to ride a scooter around instead of taking public transport and taxis? Fine. Donā€™t start crying when youā€™re crippled by some asshole who doesnā€™t abide by the road rules. My monthly commute is 4k.
Donā€™t need an AC? Fine. Sweat it out and wake up refreshed. My electricity bill is way higher then 1.5k.
Rely on free wifi? Cool! Donā€™t cry when your important communications donā€™t go through.
Want to eat crap? Go for it! Some of us like a nice curry or stew once in a while instead of an oily biandang.
Donā€™t get pets and donā€™t even think of having kids. Those critters eat money like itā€™s kibble or candy.

45k may be enough for a kid sharing an apartment, but not for adults.

2 Likes

So you like more luxurious living, even if you dont call it luxurious.

The numbers i gave are comfortable spacious living with travel and lots of food.

I will agree with you on one point, medical. You pay 5k, ok, sure. but still a large house for 5k, even you have ac should be 7 or 8 k in summer MAX, thats 16k everybill. Unless you run it all day or have a grow op, not that high.

I had a car and paid around 8k average for gas, insurance and the pollution thing. Not public transport. That also included gas to drive students home everyday when parents requested.

Its good to realize sometimes once we have money for a while our standards rise. I have my standards now as i make considerably more now. But its good not to just look down at what can be done on a budget. I wont soon forget how comfortable a dollar makes me.

Even now we make money and have businesses, i dont buy an ac due to our ever increasing.pollution problem. Actually i have one here we just dont install it for said reason. There are many other sollutions, some require lifestyle choices. Not a bad thing. But the couple years i did have an ac while i was very sick we were at a 8k a bill tops, thats 4k a month. Perhaps you just waste a lot of electricity?

Ps i counted phone 600 a month, thats unlimited internet. Do the math :slight_smile: