Moon Cakes, to eat or not to eat

Moon Cakes…
Everyone gifts them. Although I have never seen anyone actually eat them. My wife passed on the many boxes I was given as MoonFestival gifts, even though she said the ones I was given are “famous”. Asked her why and she said she doesnt like them, nobody does.

So do people just end up regifting them…like bad fruit cake on Christmas? Do any of you eat them? If they taste so bad, why do people gift them so much? Will this tradition die out when the older generations pass away?

2 Likes

I think they taste okay, but nothing special. But if you’re trying to keep to a diet, there’s so many other things I’d rather eat for one thousand calories. Check this out.

5 Likes

Me (who hates sweet red beans): I heard they have moon-cakes with ice-cream inside. I wonder why nobody gives us those.

Mrs.: In that case, why don’t you just eat ice cream?

Me: Great idea!

3 Likes

Not, bad for you!
I have no idea why people buy that stuff expensive, give it as a gift that no one eats or barely eats. Just to show face.

They didn’t do a newspaper article on it this year to warn people not to eat too many of them?

Loaded with cheap fats, plus with all the recent egg scandals, I wouldn’t vouch for those egg yolks.

All the employees where I work got a box of pomelos this year, which I appreciate so much more than moon cakes (which I don’t really like either). I can’t eat an entire box of pomelos myself, but I do really like them, so I’m going to give it the old college try. :yum:

2 Likes

They’re the hot potato item in my house that usually get bounced to the in-laws. Pomelos on the other hand, put in a blender with a strong green tea and a healthy dash of honey, the bomb.

2 Likes

You can keep pomelos for several month without spoiling. They get sweeter with age.

3 Likes

But before you get there you need about 30 minutes to remove skin and tough membrane.

It’s funny to see all the people lugging around heavy boxes of pomelos on the MRT.

2 Likes

Fixed that!

1 Like

Kind of like Taiwanese women.

1 Like

I don’t like moon cakes. They have some better flavors these days vs traditional flavors. But I’ll stuff my face with pineapple cakes

4 Likes

Pineapple cakes are twice as good and half the caloric intake.

3 Likes

My goodness, do we actually have some kind of consensus on forumosa? This is historic—and it took high-calorie/low-taste-reward mooncakes to make this happen. : P

I love that visual chart posted above by @DrewC . I’ll take a plate of that char kway teow any day!

Guy

2 Likes

i asked this question yesterday, why everyone was eating bbq and pomelo but not moon cakes. only old people like them was the answer. i like the green bean or taro ones. one or two moon cakes a year is basically enough.

2 Likes

As DrewCutz says. Usually they’re fine - but the joy derived / unhealthiness ratio is way out of line.

Year after year my wife tries to buy healthier mooncakes, and they’re always even blander than the norm, with perhaps 20% fewer calories. Not worth it, and I’ll beg her not to try again, and she’ll agree, but then next year, nope, here’s another box of mooncakes that neither of us wind up wanting to eat.

2 Likes

I like the wu-ren ones. Nuts

I think if they were smaller, like bite portions, people would actually consume them. It is just too much in one package.

1 Like

Well that does describe much of the East Asian economy.

2 Likes

This one is the cake box we need to pass around.

1 Like