Moral difference between changing sex and changing sexual orientation

Can someone explain the moral difference between changing one’s sex and changing one’s sexual orientation?

I understand that the scientific consensus is that you can’t change your sexual orientation and attempts can be damaging. Are there any other differences?

I bet we can change people’s sexual preferences, but the question is if it’s ethical to do so. The brain is malleable, we have been able to make people change their sexual tendencies with some messed up ways. POWs have been recorded to want to go back to the country that held them captive and even defend their captives.

One is changing your sex and one is changing what sex you’re attracted to. I don’t understand the question really…as that’s the difference?

If the individual is choosing to make the change then I don’t think there’s any moral dilemma. If the change is being forced upon by others I think both are pretty bad. And both are not binary. Some people identify as neither sex, and orientation is a full spectrum that includes asexual

4 Likes

What is the person is a child/minor?

And what if the person suffers from gender dysphoria or other mental health issues?

Generally, I believe sound minded adults can choose to do what they want with their lives and bodies such as transitioning or living as another gender. But at some level, these questions above should be considered.

50 posts were split to a new topic: Some or many (from moral differences)

Why are these moral questions, at all? As mentioned above, you might have to explain what you mean more clearly.

3 Likes

My sexual preference is often.

4 Likes

if you change your legal sex because you want to sneak into opposite sex’s bathroom, I’d say there is a moral issue.

Well they’re banning gay conversion therapy left and right, while the right to a sex change is protected. That speaks to what society believes about the two.

If it’s only because gay conversion therapy has no scientific basis, then that’s understandable. But there seems to be more than just that.

People can CHOOSE to change their orientation if they wish, but your orientation is usually something you’re ingrained with from birth. It’s who or what you’re attracted to and it’s almost impossible to charge those urges. So usually an external force, like gay conversion camps, try and change it against the child’s will which is abuse. Changing sex is the same. People can CHOOSE to change their sex, but if someone like an ultra liberal parent thinks their seven year old boy should be a girl for some reason that would also be abuse. Also, changing sex is different because some people honestly believe they were born in the wrong body. But that’s for them to decide, not someone else.

3 Likes

That’s outside the scope of what’s mentioned in the OP though. We could think of a lot of “if you” possibilities for anything, I bet.

Yes, that people are often convinced or pressured by other people or organizations to undergo it. A quick look shows that it is typically banned for minors, and that DC is the only jurisdiction banning it for adults.

But a lot of people say it’s fluid.

That’s because it’s usually forced on people… Christians seem to like forcing their kids into this.

This is a choice made by the individuals.

It is and it doesn’t

Oh God, are you going to start saying that the LGBTQ community has a secret agenda and start advocating for straight pride parades?

Who says that?
I meant, what scientific proof is there of that?

Many people.

Plenty of articles support the idea from lgbt outlets if you want to search yourself.

It’s got a wiki page. Not that I particularly give a toss.

Right, that means some might feel this. Andrew was presenting this as the norm which its not

No I wasn’t.

Ok. Let’s just clarify. Some people… Sure. Most people are born gay. It’s not a choice. You can’t use an exception to label a whole group

maybe some people’s orientation is ingrained to be fluid.