More Hassles For Bike Owners

Last week cops were out in Pingshi, a favorite road for bikers on the weekend to tear up the twisties. The cops were pulling over all bikes and scooters and checking for any modifications, namely aftermarket (non-road use) pipes. Heard they napped over 500 bikers, each were given $2000 fines and told to return there factory pipes back on, and would have to go for inspection again. Seems that the towns people were fed-up with bikes zooming past their quiet town all day long every weekend.

I’m not sure if this is just a single incident, and just related to that stretch of road. But be warned, if you have a loud or modded scooter or bike, stay away from the road from Pingshi to Fulong for awhile, until things cool down there.

Or you can remove your penis extension and show some consideration for others. Then you won’t have to worry about being stopped anywhere else either.

Yep. If I lived out in the country, I wouldn’t be too thrilled either.

Jealous much? Again with the penis comments…I own a big bike…and the last time someone measured me I was 3 inches longer that what’s considered average for white people…so I don’t see the connection.

Jealous much? Again with the penis comments…I own a big bike…and the last time someone measured me I was 3 inches long…[/quote]
I think he’s talking about the after-market pipes, not the bike… :wink:

[quote=“KawasakiRider”]Last week cops were out in Pingxi, a favorite road for bikers on the weekend to tear up the twisties. The cops were pulling over all bikes and scooters and checking for any modifications, namely aftermarket (non-road use) pipes. Heard they napped over 500 bikers, each were given $2000 fines and told to return there factory pipes back on, and would have to go for inspection again. Seems that the towns people were fed-up with bikes zooming past their quiet town all day long every weekend.

I’m not sure if this is just a single incident, and just related to that stretch of road. But be warned, if you have a loud or modded scooter or bike, stay away from the road from Pingxi to Fulong for awhile, until things cool down there.[/quote]

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. A friend of mine told me how strict the cops in Taipei are compared to in the south. He told me this after I told him I like to mess with the cops down here. Anyway last weekend I was in Taipei County…and I was going through the Jung-He area when I see a cop ahead of me starting to walk onto the street. I’m heading right at him but he doesn’t check for traffic at all…he doesn’t walk far onto the street…but he came out from inbetween two parked cars and walked alongside of the parked cars. I still had to move over for him at the last second…so I held in my clutch and gunned the throttle…scaring the shit out of him…he jumped and swung his arms around expecting to get hit…I’m guessing. Anyway, he radioed ahead…and they got me at the next light…his buddie was directing traffic. The cop that stoppied me asked me what I was doing to get the other cop so mad. I told him that his buddie was an idiot and he walked into traffic without looking…so I scared him…and now he wants to cry to us like a little girl. Pretty much my exact words. So the cop I scared catches up and starts yelling at me…I yell back…he asks if my pipe is modified…I get worried…I change topic to him walking onto the street without looking…They let me go. Yeah, yeah, I’m stupid and lucky…every single time. Hmm. Cops when faced with a quota will do some work…but even when they hate you and know your pipe is illegal…they won’t bother with the hassel.

Jealous much? Again with the penis comments…I own a big bike…and the last time someone measured me I was 3 inches long…[/quote]
I think he’s talking about the after-market pipes, not the bike… :wink:[/quote]

Oh…well it’s still valid…I have an after market pipe…it doesn’t just give a louder sound…it gives a nicer fuller sound…and more horsepower…a new pipe is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to get more performance out of your vehicle.

Consideration? Penis extension? Dude, I’m giving everyone a heads up. My point is why just target bikers? How many Imprezas and Lancers have you seen with loud pipes? Like everyone of them! Why aren’t the cops targeting them? Bikers are the minority, guess it is easier to target us.

Last night, April 7th, in Taipei City, there was a roadblock. They didn’t wave me aside, but the teenage guy to my side was pulled over. He had a nice shiny tailpipe, and they were talking to him and writing something down.

I just read this thread and now I understand. They pulled him over because of his tailpipe. At the time I could see nothing wrong with his bike, and his license plate tags were current. However, it was impossible to miss his very shiny pipe - he must love that thing because it was so shiny and new.

[quote=“KawasakiRider”]Consideration? Penis extension? Dude, I’m giving everyone a heads up. My point is why just target bikers? How many Imprezas and Lancers have you seen with loud pipes? Like everyone of them! Why aren’t the cops targeting them? Bikers are the minority, guess it is easier to target us.[/quote]The cops do (once in a blue moon) target and ticket the ricers. I don’t think you’re being singled out, it’s just your turn this month. The ricers will get theirs next month, or the month after. That’s how the system works :wink:
I have a factory exhaust on my Impreza, btw :sunglasses: I also cringe at the dog-launcher crowd.

Mordeth: Are you complaining about the cops busting people for illegal mods after all those posts in the ‘Police in Taiwan’ thread criticizing them for not doing their jobs? :eh:

Now if only the police went after the real threat: Riverside Karaoke!

[quote=“hsiadogah”]

Mordeth: Are you complaining about the cops busting people for illegal mods after all those posts in the ‘Police in Taiwan’ thread criticizing them for not doing their jobs? :eh:[/quote]

Their job…is to protect people…as in “To serve and protect.” If I saw them pull over the guys who go into the oncoming lane to pass ten cars (one of which being a cop) and run a redlight…then I’d feel a little more ok when they give me a ticket for having a tailpipe that’s pretty. I suppose if they are responding to complaints from the people in the mountains…then they are “serving”, but I’ve as of yet to see them “protect”.

But I don’t think I was complaining about them busting people with pipes…I was just saying don’t worry about it. In a month they’ll stop it. And that they only give tickets when forced. Don’t think I complained.

Maoman, that’s the best chop we’ve had in a while. :laughing: :bravo: :notworthy:

Taiwanese police priorities… someone important must live up there, eh?

Obviously no-one important in my neck of the woods as evidenced by the 24-hour street dog fighting, and megaphone exhaust car racing…

I suggest you remove the exhaust altogether, see what that brings up. “It fell off officer”.

This is good and bad…like kawasaki rider said, “bikers are a minority”…and probably “odd rebels” in they eyes of the cops here…remember that one should not dare to be different in Taiwan…or else you will always be on the receiving end of BS…sure, there are a million other more serious road infractions happening every second of every day in Taiwan, however those infractions are done by the majority of road users here…that would be hard to crack down on, cacth and ticket every single offence!..

…so, what do they do?..catch the bikers that ride in groups!..big groups!..it’s easy, just make a road block and rip into every single bike and rider for every single detail!..legal pipes, street tires and tread wear, fender eliminators, modified lights, approved head protection, registration papers, insurance papers, import papers…the list goes on!..

…again, it’s the easiest thing for them to do!..and a huge fun spoiler as well because we should all remember that no one should have fun here other than in the “riverside KTVs”…

I’ve come to terms with the circus that goes on here and it still boils inside everytime something lik ethis happpens…but hey, someone has to justify their job and their badge!

Now, I guess that if we(riders) care about our sport, we’ll think about the way we do things around here, especially since we don’t want more negative attention than we need!..it’s simple…

1- ride in reasonably sized groups(3-4 or 5 max)
2- respect local villages, slow down and keep the RPMs on the down low!

doing these two things can ease the possibilities of close calls or unfortunate events…there is no need to blast through little towns and make people hate and complain about bikes!..The things we do reflect on us!..

I have another “suggestion”…don’t stop for these stormtroopers…

I know that road block in Ping Xi…I gotta ride in low 3rd cause my bike sounds like a chainsaw screwing a pitbull on metha-amphetamines…

I wave they wave…usually get through.

I usually ride alone, but nowadays it’s getting crowded out there and have ridden up on packs of bikes through towns.

Got stopped in the Hsing I district one night and the cop made mention of my after market pipe:

Cop: “It’s too loud…that pipe”
B2G: “What? I can’t hear you…!”

The traffic, trashtrucks,politcal vans with loudspeakers were drowning out our conversation.

Cop: “Your bothering people with that noise…”
B2G: “What???”""
Cop:" THAT NOISE!"
B2G : “What…?” etc…

:bouncy: Didn't get a ticket though.

Well put Skylarkpuma. I agree and adhere to this rule, whenever we pass by little towns or residential areas we slow down and let off on the throttle. If more riders would follow this courtesy then their wouldn’t be problems. I don’t think having an aftermarket pipe is a problem. I feel safer with them, cause people can hear me coming from some distance away. The problem is that people misuse them, revving them to show-off, and not knowing when to let the revs down. I live in a residential area, when I leave for a mornign ride, I will push my bike to the main road and start it up there. And in the city I keep my revs low and not open her up until I’m out of the city. But that is just me.

This is a good idea, but on the other hand if I know there is a potentially tricky intersection/turnoff where somebody could slam dunk me, then I’ll downshift a couple of gears or blip the throttle quickly before going through…

Eyeballing a 400…And waiting for spousal permission :wink:

My daily potential crash rate more than halved when I fitted the hornet with its spanky twin titanium Laser early-warning system. From the front, taxi drivers perceive just another gas-bottle lugger (“But why’s that fool left his headlight on?”), but now the teeth-chattering rumble and backfires cause them to hesitate and reconsider before swerving out in front of me.

Applause for those who said slow down going through villages. Anyway, I found in the past that those mangey dogs go into an attacking frenzy if you’re too noisy, and they are dumb enough to get infront of your wheel…

My massive 149cc road monster has big, once-shiny pipes on it and it sounds/feels great when you’re driving it. One day I stood on a quiet country road while my gf went to go practise not falling off or dropping it in the river.

It was quite horrifying how loud and intrusive the noise was. Even when she was out of sight around a bend it was the sort of sound that would have me grumbling if someone else was doing it and I was trying to enjoy the peace and quiet. I felt quite guilty until I remembered that people don’t seem to enjoy peace and quiet here.

Story here about a quiet bike.