Most Famous Alien in Taiwan

I nominate Brian Kennedy, pulitzer prize worthy journalist and esteemed formulasa member. I used to enjoy his legal columns when I first arrived here, and I enjoyed his anger at his bastard bosses. Is he still published in the local rags?

Do you mean Vincent?

Most famous ? That’ll be me again

[quote=“Boss Hogg”]Hmm… I hope that Jeff from the forum is not “THE JEFF”! the t.v guy that can speak Chinese and write books with his dog on the cover.[/quote]His dog can speak Chinese and write books ? I vote for his dog !

If you read out all of those names that’ve been mentioned throughout the thread, well I reckon ABCguy24 followed by Hartzell. I attribute ABCguy to me getting hooked so fast.

Hooked on what?

Oriented/Segue/Forumosa

Hey, Boss… put the rules down again… You just said “famous” (with no strings attached)… and now little requirements are coming out here and there… Um, well, I just thought the ones I mentioned were at least worth mentioning because I got the strongest impressions of them associated with something famous/infamous within one week of joining this forum (and, of course, including all the ones already on your list).

I don’t know if “knowing their faces” should be a requirement. I really enjoy this forum even without knowing anyone’s true background or what they look like. And in a way, that’s the beauty of it.

This thread is funny in two ways…funny haha and funny goofy.

Truth be known…I’ve logged a coupla tix on the Warhol clock in some some very small circles of the world…unfortunately, I never achieved even a sniff of Fame’s most elusive partner…Fortune…give the latter and stuff the former!

It’s kinda goofy to even be writing about it…It was not much of anything, more of an awful by-product of art…embarrassing really…

PLEASE! NO PAPARAZI!!! :smiling_imp:

I would’ve preferred to just work on my craft and been able to survive with some degree of comfort from my art…hell I would trade every amazing non-art related experience I’ve ever had in life to be a working stage director in NYC, London, Berlin or Glasgow…

Comes a time when reality bites you in the ass…after an incredibly successful year artistically…you find yourself waking up in your van, down by the river…staring 40 defiantely down with self-hubrification…and your bank balance stares you down even deeper…with those three hollow eyes…(0.00)…so you pack up the parchment and end up at the only place in Canada that recognizes a Fine Arts degree as a reason for employment…Asia!

FAME SCHMAME!

Famous on Forumosa or famous in the real world?

Quite possible the most famous in the 'real world would be:
Dan Bloom (he posted a few times a way back (I think - or is my memory playing tricks with me) he’s pretty famous for his book (I LOve Taiwan) and night market selling (of said book) amongst foreigners and Taiwanese a like. Of course, also fairly famous because of books would be
Poagao and then
Almas John, as already mentioned, and for their columns
Hartzell and
Brian Kennedy
If anyone else is famous int he ‘real world’ they’re probably keeeping it hidden. Who knows maybe someone really famous secretly posts on here from time to time :wink:

I guess the idea of that being in a forum with user names instead of real names is no more… now we all know who they are in person! (not that it’s a bad thing)

How about Dan Jacobson? He used to post on oriented with the name jidanni.

Like Sir Donald said there may well be some famous people among us who choose to maintain anonymity. You know Boss Hogg’s posts remind me of Tom Cruise… :laughing:

I wonder if such famous people as Jeff Locker, Jeffrey Mindich, Laurence McVecor or Jason Pan or TV Igor post here? I imagine some reporters from the three English dailies post here as well, they must famous in their newsrooms, too, if not islandwide. Who are they?

Since Hartzell has been here the longest, i nominate him for the award, with Paogao second. Wouldn;t it be funny if Jacky Wu was posting here too!

Maybe I’m not the only one who’s wondering what Igor’s surname is. He does an amazing job interpreting from one foreign language (English) into another (Chinese.) Several TV channels have had people doing “simultaneous interpreting” during the invasion of Iraq, but Igor is the only one who really knows how to do it. Word has it that he devotes so much time to his job that he would never have time to fritter away posting messages on Forumosa, more’s the pity.

Eager Igor from Uzbekistan

Juba, salam aleikem and das vadanya!

Igor’s surname is Zaitsev. From Moscow. Lives with his mother in Taipei. Yes, he is certainly a great interpreter/translator on-air talent! Did you notice that he often read off the CNN website in Russian, the cameras showing the Russian letters. Wow, so he was reading Russian, listening to Arabic (I heard he can translate Arabic, too) and then speaking in Mandarin. This guy deserves a medal over there at his Neihu studios!

But you are right, he probably has NO time at all to post here. If he even knows of this forum…

I’m sure that i saw Robert Storey (author of the Taiwan Lonely Planet) posting here once…but i could have been mistaken.

I saw him posting here too. He lives near Taidong.

speaking of Taitung… did you hear the news today?

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/deta … 6880&GRP=B

Rural Taitung village set to receive nuclear waste

2003/4/18
TAIPEI, Taiwan, The China Post staff

A small village in rural Taitung County is being selected to become home to Taiwan’s nuclear waste.
Reports started surfacing yesterday that Tawu Township was a possible site for the waste shortly after President Chen Shui-bian announced that a new home for the waste would be found before the end of this year.

i wonder if our taitung posters down there have inside info on this…

hmmm, you could look at it that way I suppose :unamused:
Or perhaps it would be nice to know exactly what people resources are here. Perhaps it would also be nice to give the rather small number of foreigners who achieve something in Taiwan a bit of recognition from those of us in the foreign community. Hell, before I found Forumosa I didn’t have a clue who half of these people are, now I find it a great source of encouragement and a good reason to continue on here. Who knows one day it could be me who is the topic of a thread.

I think it is great to be able to see these achievers all listed in one place.

It was never my intention to expose the secret identities of those on Forumosa. There are those here that we all know who they are, they have links here to their websites and references to their activities in their posts.

If someone wants to remain hidden - let’s respect their wishes, but if they out themselves… ok.

Sorry about the double post :blush: