MOTC to tighten electric bicycle rules!

This was set up to stop factories moving overseas, it was a compromise for the workers, government and businesses. the alternative was the factory’s moved overseas, the people stay in their own country and get local wages. The workers loose out, the government loose out, the businesses, they never loose out if run correctly.

This visa is not a migration to live here, it’s a migration for a specific job. The visa is part of the contract.

“Taiwan Fintech Sandbox”
If this is what you’re referring to I will have to take your word for it, as its to must to read for my little point.

My point being if I’m forced to be responsible for someone by law, I should have some say in what they do, this is something they have signed up and agreed to voluntary.

https://www.fsc.gov.tw/en/home.jsp?id=175&parentpath=0,4

They are not bicycles, they are miniature kitted out scooters. Some have extended frames like dragsters. I also thought that the rules say no passengers, but they do.

1 Like

So they are like your slave but a voluntary one?

1 Like

They are an employees, you need to find out what slavery is before you dishonour the people who have and are going through it.

Okay, but the wider point is that the cumulative effect of the many legal restrictions they face compared to everyone else is that they are treated as second-class people by the government, and by their employers, and therefore by society in general.

That’s why it was apparently fine for said employers to detain them in their dorms (against both the law and basic human rights) during the covid panic, and like a thousand other examples. It’s messed up, and it’s unnecessary.

How does it make sense to have these visa rules for factory workers and homecare providers, but not for, say, foreign English teachers?

2 Likes

Cool! So I can lock my employees in their dormitories and force them to use public transportation? Cool!

It’s not slavery and if anyone says it is…

Makes total sense!

Because there would be no foreign teachers in Taiwan if they did that and they know it! They capitalize off of other poorer country’s desperation… Thus modern day slavery.

5 Likes

But I’m only referring to this one point, I think it’s justified and from this discussion people miss understood the reason behind it.
There are lots of things I don’t agree with and I think the treatment of overseas workers can be extremely bad.

This is one of the times that should be called out and was obviously discriminatory, and there are others like the treatment of fishermen.

Again this all boils down to the contract and incentives offered to get people into positions visa restrictions are part of that.

Some visas offer better tax breaks if you meet certain criteria. Again, not wanting to sound like a broken record but this is not just Taiwan.

Overseas workers hold this economy by the balls, Taiwan would be in trouble if they all went home. They have a voice that can be used and the government is talking notice.

As for students and teachers the education establishment is responsible for them, but they are desperate for the money/ prestige so they get better visa conditions to attract people.

White collar, blue collar?

So far as I can see, the reason behind it is that (some) migrant workers aren’t considered people who can be responsible for themselves, because … reasons. This particular rule is just one of many manifestations of that.

And that makes it make sense how?

If thats what you think thats up to you and your opinion, you are entitled to that but I don’t agree with it.

Not, but it’s not only in Taiwan.

1 Like

This is one example but some of these e-scooters are larger and more kitted out and have longer extended frames, rear swing arm.

2 Likes

Edit: deleted, since already asked by others.

Looks like the regulations are not principles-based, but are rules-based. Hence the tinkering inevitably leading to inconsistencies.

For e-bikes purchased before Nov. 1, 2022, owners will have a grace period of two years to complete registration of their vehicles and purchase insurance.

I wonder if they will enforce the sidewalk rules on moms with kids on e-bikes.

Two types of moms on e-bikes I encounter.

1. Speeding moms with kids on e-bikes on bike paths and sidewalks rushing to or from somewhere and not looking where they’re going.

2. Slowly meandering moms with kids on e-bikes on bike paths and sidewalks weaving back and forth not really looking around anything that’s happening around them .

5 Likes
6 Likes

This article seems to explain that the the new rules do not apply to electric bicycles with pedals, but rather the larger ones that look like scooters without any pedals.

3 Likes

I’ve actually seen less of them on the road in recent weeks.