Move to Taiwan residency - Marriage and foreign Spousal/Children to obtain a ARC or APRC

Hi there,

I like to know what is the best way, easiest and smooth way to be able to obtain and ARC or APRC for foreigner spouse?

I am a Taiwanese Permanent resident. My wife and my son are residents of Canada. Our citizenships are in Canada all 3 of us.

We are not currently married in Canada, we are thinking of moving back to Taiwan to live permanently.

What is the best way to obtain permanent resident for my wife and son? One way is We were thinking of getting married in Taiwan. We like to keep our status unmarried in Canada.

Please suggest the best route for this?

1 Like

For the wife to be recognized as your dependent you will need to bring a marriage certificate form Canada or another country and notarized by the local Taiwan office (e.g. if you get married in the USA, Teco in the USA). You will also need the birth certificate of your son from Canada showing your name.
at a first step they will get a regular ARC, after 5 years on ARC they can get APRC here.
Marriage in Taiwan might not be recognized by the immigration authorities.

So they’re Canadians?

Yes we are all Canadians. She is Vietnamese and I’m Taiwanese

Right so is this the only way?

Can I not obtain arc by getting married in Taiwan? I saw this form online it is possible.

:thinking:

If you’re not a Taiwanese citizen you won’t be able to get your partner a marriage ARC with a Taiwanese marriage certificate.
The article you linked is for a Taiwanese citizen marrying a foreigner. Two foreigners marrying each other is a different story. Which if you’re on an APRC is what you are in the government’s eyes, regardless of Taiwanese blood. When you got your APRC they checked if you’re considered a ROC national and determined that you are not.

A cautionary tale:

1 Like

I am a Taiwanese citizen, my wife is not.

I actually care more about how can I make her an ARC so she doesn’t need to leave the country every 3 months.

If you are Taiwanese with National ID then you’d soon to be wife needs to apply to the Vietnamese government (department of which I have no idea) for a certificate stating she is single. That needs to be stamped and authenticated by the Teco office in Vietnam. You then apply to whichever government office deals with marriages in Taiwan. You will have to show them your partners single certificate, your household registration, your intended date of marriage, and probably proof of relationship. Although the 3 kids should prove that last one you’d be surprised just how banal Taiwanese bureaucracy can be.

Once the Taiwan government office accepts that your partner is your partner and you wish to get married you can get married and apply for her ARC.

For the first year she isn’t allowed to leave Taiwan. After the first year she can apply for multiple re-entry ARC. After 4 years (I think, it used to be 5 some have said it can be 3, I’ve given up trying to follow it) she can apply for APRC.

Having said all of that you can do the same thing. Apply for a single certificate in Taiwan, get it stamped and notarized, get married in Canada, have the Canadian marriage certificate certified by the Canadian Teco office, apply for your wife’s arc through the TECO office in Canada. She will probably still need to provide a single certificate. If her arc is approved she can get eh first year arc card within 10 days of arrival. She’ll need to provide bank statements and such although if you have a joint bank account that should suffice.

2 Likes

Ok great, this is good information.

Just one thing, my wife is from Vietnam, she has a Vietnam passport. She’s also a Permanent Resident with a Canadain Passport in Canada.

I assume I can just use the Canada Passport to apply then? And get a single certificate notorized in Canada. Bring it to Taiwan to show proof she’s single, then go thru the process?

You’re confusing permanent residency with citizenship

1 Like

No I’m not

We have dual citizenship of canada and Taiwan
And canada and Vietnam

However I’m trying to figure out how I can get my partner who we are not married yet. To enter and live Taiwan longer than 90 days visa.

1. Can I marry her in Taiwan then apply aARC?
    Or
  2. I must married her in canada and bring that certificate to Taiwan and then apply for ARC?

Which 2. Is what I don’t want to do. I want to see if there is a work around with this situation.

Thanks

You said your wife is a permanent resident of Canada when she’s not, she’s a citizen. You also said you’re a Taiwanese permanent resident when you’re not, you’re a Taiwanese citizen.

1. Yes, following what @JPMichaels1 stated
1 Like

I think you can get married in Taiwan:

Look for:
​Q: What documents do I need to get married in Taiwan?

Then you will be married. Whether your wife will then need to exit the country and come back to apply for an ARC, or whether she can apply for an ARC right away, I am not sure.

Also, if you marry in any one country you are married in other countries. Is that not true? Or you could marry in 20 countries to different people, or marry the same person over and over in different countries.

How can someone be a permanent resident and a citizen at the same time? You’re either one or the other. Not both.

3 Likes

Correction.

ME = Taiwanese Citenzn. + Canadian Citizen.
WIFE = Vietnamese Citizen + Canadain Permanent Residence.

3 Likes

Ok that makes more sense. So your wife will probably need to obtain the certificate from the Vietnamese government.

Thanks Alan.

I assume in this Case, you are talking about the Single Certificate from Vietnam?

I guess since shes a PR in Canada, single certificate from Canada won’t work then?

Correct.

Probably won’t work. Your wife is a Vietnamese citizen, so any residency status in any other country is probably irrelevant in the eyes of the Taiwanese government, but I could be wrong.

I aplogize.

My wife is a also a Canadian Citizen.

it’s because in Canada, u would become a PR first, then become a citizen. I just saw her passport it shows nationality is Canadian.

So I assume we can probably use Single Certificate from Canada then. and get it certified by Taipei office in Canada.