Move to Taiwan residency - Marriage and foreign Spousal/Children to obtain a ARC or APRC

Yup, that’s how it is in every country. And then once you become a citizen then you are no longer a PR.

Yes, you can probably just use a single certificate from Canada.

By the way, I find it amusing that you weren’t sure what nationality your wife was.

1 Like

Hahaha me too!

Well she used to live in Russia then Vietnam
So many places before she settles down. That maybe explains why.

So here’s what I conclude so far. If we follow this format then most likely we can obtain ARC in Taiwan?

• get single certificate for both me and my wife from canada.
  • have all documents certified and translated by Taipei office in canada
  • bring all documents back to taiwan and apply for marriage
  • after married then take all docs to apply for ARC
  • after living 5 years in Taiwan then I can help her apply for APRC

I saw someone not sure if it was you that wrote down, once she’s married in Taiwan. She must stay in Taiwan for 1 year? Is this true?

You’d need to show proof of your marriage from the country where you got married, for your current country to recognize that marriage.

My Taiwanese uncle got married in the US to a Taiwanese, but as far as the Taiwanese government is concerned they are both still single, because they now live in the US and never bothered to tell the Taiwanese government they got married.

Nope. In Japan you can become a PR after 10 years, citizen after 5. And in Taiwan you don’t need APRC before naturalizing.

Ok you may not need to apply for PR if you’re already eyeing citizenship, but what I meant was if you become a PR, it happens before you obtain your citizenship. Not during or after.

1 Like

Ok yeah

The single certificate is more of an Asian country thing. I’ve never heard of it being needed for Commonwealth countries. I know it wasn’t required for my marriage.

Your marriage in Canada is universally recognized. Meaning that Taiwan recognizes it. You just need the marriage certificate notarized and certified by the Canadian Teco office.

You can have a second wedding ceremony in Taiwan for the family. Or just the wedding banquet. Or nothing. It’s entirely up to you.

As a dual citizen your wife may be required to provide criminal background checks from both Vietnam and Canada in order to satisfy the ARC visa application requirements. However she may be able to get away with just getting a Canadian one. Don’t quote me on this. I do know the Taiwan government has made it easier for spouses with minor criminal histories to be granted ARC. Not sure if that applies to your situation. If not don’t worry about it.

It’s probably easier to get married in Canada and apply for residency in Taiwan from there. Much less stress and bureaucracy to deal with.

Yes once your wife is given ARC she can’t leave for the first year. She has to wait until she has multiple re-entry ARC. And that is 12 months from the date of the first ARC being issued.

If your wife’s arc is approved in Canada before traveling to Taiwan then the date of issue will be the date of arrival in Taiwan.

Thanks for all the feedback.

However, our goal is really to get ARC by doing marriage in Taiwan.

Not getting it registered here in Canada beforehand. then get ARC in taiwan.

You don’t need to get married in Taiwan to get your wife a Taiwan ARC.

That’s the whole point.

If your intention is to have a traditional Taiwanese wedding with engagement banquet, wedding ceremony with family, wedding banquet, you can still do all of those things after getting married in Canada (plus a civil celebrant in Canada is way cheaper).

It also makes applying for the arc much easier.

If you want to get married in Taiwan you have to apply for a different visa stating your non resident wife will be getting married to you on x/x/xxxx.

Essentially you’re running the risk of Taiwan immigration refusing your partner entry. Whereas already being married with the correctly identified and authenticated documents requires Taiwan immigration to make concessions.

Taiwan immigration is quite strict in regards to marriages with people from Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, and a few other places.

People from those countries that came to Taiwan as refugees 40+ years ago still don’t have residency.

At this point I think you should engage a lawyer that specifically deals with Taiwan immigration issues. I’m not sure but I guess that @Marco ‘s lawyer might be able to point you in the right direction.

Don’t be surprised if they tell you the same thing I’ve already said. It’s easier to get married in Canada and have that recognized in Taiwan and obtain an alien resident certificate from that.

1 Like

His intention is for him/wife to stay registered as single in Canada… could be due to conservative family, to keep getting alimony money, could be to get gov benefits as single parent, I dont know what the reason is… but his question is very clear - how to give his wife an ARC without registering the marriage in Canada.

Do you guys have $500000 TWD or equivalent in savings?

I do have a way to get in without getting married.

The 5 million is to get APRC after 5 years on ARC, no? or its good to get an ARC too?

No.

500K, open a shell company. Can get APRC after 5 years.

1 Like

I am not so sure. If you marry anywhere, you are married everywhere.

Of course, the government of the country you are in may not realize it or even treat you as if you were married, because they do not currently know about it or recognize it, but you are still married.

So that means if somebody asked you to write down whether you were married you should write yes.

1 Like

How does this work?

Invest 5 million NT and can get APRC?

Does it matter if got age or anything?

Izzy, Exactly you are correct!

No. $500000. Not $5 Million. It’s approximately $20000 Canadian dollars depending on exchange give or take. If you wanted to open a company together as dual shareholders, then $500k each is needed.

This would enable her to have an ARC. And it gives her (or you) a work permit to work at the company you guys opened. She is free to do work for the company if needed, hell, like tutor or something else and issue receipts for that work. Or do online work and issue receipts.

Hell, Pizza Pizza pays online workers commission.

Otherwise, since she is Canadian, she can likely teach English if she has a uni degree.

But the only way for her to get into Taiwan without you guys marrying is for her to come in on her own merits.

I have another question for you, based on your name, are you not an NWOHR?

Yes u are correct. I am not a NWOHR

I am going back this year to register household name etc and get my ID card. I only got a valid Taiwan passport.