Movie: Cape No.7

BTW, Tommy, I don’t think your girlfriend should be afraid of it being too Taike for her. It’s a bit tai, but in a way that is designed to persuade non-Taike that it’s OK to be just a little tai, at least in your heart. I suspect it might do her some good, and she is probably very much part of the target audience.

I hope this post makes sense.

[quote=“Feiren”]BTW, Tommy, I don’t think your girlfriend should be afraid of it being too Taike for her. It’s a bit tai, but in a way that is designed to persuade non-Taike that it’s OK to be just a little tai, at least in your heart. I suspect it might do her some good, and she is probably very much part of the target audience.

I hope this post makes sense.[/quote]

Maybe it will help her to get back to her Taiwanese roots? Shes spent most of her life abroad and gotten an American education so she felt she may not be able to relate. Iv already pretty much “demanded” that she see the movie (if nothing else so she can tell me bout it?).

Shes going to see it with a few co-workers soon (theyve seen it but want her to see it )

[quote=“zender”]Easy guys!

For one, a paragraph does not a detailed analysis make.

And I feel, having read the thread, like I’ve already seen the damn flick. (I haven’t)

She went to film school . . .

I’m willing to read her 2NTs worth, and consider what she said when I DO see it.[/quote]

Thank you zender.

I heard the DVD isn’t going to have English subtitles. Anybody got the lowdown on that?

As long as it doesn’t have Taiwanese, it’s time to practice my Mandarin. :neutral:

I believe it is in Taiwanese with Mandarin sub-titles. Can anyone confirm that? And DVD’s made for the Taiwan market probably won’t have English, while those for the US - if there is a market there at all for this kind of thing - will have. P2P might be the best bet…

Well isnt it supposed to be this years Taiwan entry for Best Foreign Film at the Oscars? AS such it better have english subtitles shouldnt it?

Do you guys who saw it think it has a chance to win in this category? It will be pretty cool if it did huh?

No, not really. Then again, maybe. Define cool.

It’s mostly in Mandarin, but there is some Taiwanese, Putong Hwa and even some Japanese, if I recall correctly.

I think it will be neat if this small budget film by a novice director/producer acted in by mostly amateur first time actors and a few with some experience can become an oscar winner. That will be pretty NEat.

Nice piano piece from the movie:

youtube.com/watch?v=w6o811vzKoM

Mmm… not really, I think it is a matter of cost. My DVD of Island Etude -Taiwan DVD zone, made and bought in Taiwan- has English subtitles, same with Double Vision -Taiwan version. I even have Magical Grandma with English and Spanish subbing-same Taiwan DVD zone-but I also have Pushing Hands and other “international” Taiwanese movies without English subtitles. However, the ones without English subtitles were cheaper. I think the ones with subtitles are still meant for the Taiwanese market -otherwise, they would be zone 1 not 3.

It strikes me as odd that the producers and distributors will try to save a few bucks by skipping the subtitles in English and lose a lot of audience that way.

The reason for only including Chinese subtitles on the movie is preventing piracy, not saving money. Cape No. 7 had Chinese and English subtitles when it screened in Taiwanese cinemas. They are not losing much potential market in Taiwan. 99% of customers buying DVDs here can read Chinese.

I have seen VCDs with both Chinese and English, but usually with DVDs you can only choose one. Gee, if they can “copy pirate” that, what are producers to do?

Island Etude also had interviews and specials. It would be nice if tehy included photo stills of the locations for Cape No.7.

The movie is now playing in Hong Kong.

Wonder what the reaction to it there will be… :ponder:

A good article about the film. I agree with most of the points listed within.

The review in South China Morning Post on Thursday was “so so”: too Taiwanese for the HK audience.

I can’t believe I haven’t seen this movie yet. Especially since Ive been making Taiwanese cinema a priority lately and watching about 2 Taiwan films a week on DVD.

But I don’t really care if it’s good or not. For me the fantastic thing is the shot in the arm it’s going to give local cinema. I hope we have some sort of explosion of local film.

Wonder what the reaction to it there will be… :ponder:[/quote]

Well, a report on ICRT said it grossed the equivalent of NT$86million in HK last weekend, higher than the new James Bond movie apparently. Sounds like it is doing well.

Yup, it didnt win.

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/arts … rlords.htm