Moving to Taiwan FAQ

Guys;

I know you must get dozens of these a week, but if you could do a good deed for the day, and help me out, I would be really grateful.

Having lived in Kenya for just over a year, I’m moving to Taiwan in August, which is obviously going to be a massive culture shock. I’m going to be working in San Hsui but will probably be living in Jhonghe. I’m trying to find as much as I can about Jhonghe both on the internet and in this forum and I’m getting somewhat confused. Firstly, am I right in thinking that Jhonghe and Zhonghe are the same place right (the fact that there is a Yonghe makes it more confusing…)? If so, what’s it like as a place to live in in terms of rent, things to do after work (ie. bars), noise polution, all of that jazz.

I’m coming there as a guy in my mid-20’s (I’m 24), so I’d be looking to get stuck into Taipei life, playing some football (I’ve got myself signed up for a sunday league team) and have as much fun as I can when not working for the man, but from people’s experience, how easy was it for people to learn the ropes upon arriving in the area? A couple of guys who lived there a few years ago have mentioned a few nightspots of varying quality (Luxy, Carnegies), the need to buy a moped to get from A to B, that knowing a lot of mandarian in advance isn’t essential and at some point, I have to go and see the baseball but I’m not sure how much of this is still relevent now. Any thoughts or observations on those matters or anything will be fantastic.

Thanks.

I live in Zhonghe. It’s part of Taipei County (now called Xinbei city I guess) and is going to be cheaper and less developed than taipei city, which makes it less foreigner friendly but allows you to get a bigger apartment for cheaper (though it won’t be new by any stretch of the imagination). You will also have to take a bus if you want to ride the MRT (subway). But it’s not so bad once you get used to it. Takes me about an hour to get anywhere in Taipei city. If you don’t want to go to the city there are some nice places to eat around Banqiao train station, but I rarely see other foreigners in these areas.

Hello, I ended up getting a public school job through the Ministry of Education at Peng Lai Elementary School in Datong District.

I think I would like some extra salary, but I am too scared of getting caught to work a buxiban job. How do people usually go about finding students to tutor?

Also, any suggestions on which district to live? My price range is 15,000 a month or less for a single. I would of course like to live near a metro, have easy access to food options, nature, laundry mat, movie theater, and perhaps a bar or two to invite coworkers over for. Part of why I hated shanghai this year was I just live in an uninteresting part of shanghai. I want some interesting food, night market, and nature options right outside my door. I realize maybe my price is too low, but I just thought I would see what responses I get

Is it easy to exchange money at banks from Chinese RMB to Taiwan NTD?

I’m sure I have a ton more questions, but thanks a ton for anyone willing to help out!

I’m assuming you are new to the island. Here is some advice…

You must be licensed. Licensed teachers in Taiwan can make 80,000 to 100,000 NT for a 8-5 gig in an all-English program at a private high school. These are good jobs.

These schools are constantly looking for licensed teachers. If the public school is underpaying you, I would finish up the contract with no outside work and then start applying to the many private high schools all over the island. Your experiences in the public school will be a big plus. Just make sure you get a positive recommendation in written form (don’t trust them) and are not negative at all (even if you have a bad experience) in your interview with the private schools.

Another piece of advice…

Firstly, I’m not talking about Buxibans (They should be avoided at all costs.). Don’t argue with your boss. Taiwanese people don’t forget, and they will find a passive-aggressive way to get revenge --trust me.[color=#FF0000]The best thing you can do is be humble and do your work without complaining.[/color] If you are unhappy, just don’t resign when the contract is up. This can actually make your boss look bad in the eyes of the principle; “Why did that nice, hardworking teacher leave? You must have done something wrong (looking at your boss).”

Very good advice. The key word is ‘humility’. The number of times I hear of western teachers giving their bosses a hard time. You just know what’s going to happen…

Tomthorne,

We both joined Forumosa June 2007! I’m older than you by 17 days, though. But, you’ve posted a lot more than I have. (I have too much free time! (Summer vacation)).

[quote=“nateliu99”]Hello, I ended up getting a public school job through the Ministry of Education at Peng Lai Elementary School in Datong District.

I think I would like some extra salary, but I am too scared of getting caught to work a buxiban job. How do people usually go about finding students to tutor?

Also, any suggestions on which district to live? My price range is 15,000 a month or less for a single. I would of course like to live near a metro, have easy access to food options, nature, laundry mat, movie theater, and perhaps a bar or two to invite coworkers over for. Part of why I hated shanghai this year was I just live in an uninteresting part of shanghai. I want some interesting food, night market, and nature options right outside my door. I realize maybe my price is too low, but I just thought I would see what responses I get

Is it easy to exchange money at banks from Chinese RMB to Taiwan NTD?

I’m sure I have a ton more questions, but thanks a ton for anyone willing to help out![/quote]

Hi Nat, seems you made a very nice choice. As you say, the school is downtown, close to Shuanglian MRT station -you can look it up easier in a map that way.

Hence, I would reccomend as a new arrival to head up to Tianmu or Beitou districts to live, close to the mountains, with lots of trails and restaurants and expats. Amenities are galore in the city, but since you had mentioned before you like nature. I estimate a 20 minute commute. The only downside might be the price, but for 15K it is quite possible to find a nice place. Some parts of Shilin are also nice and cheaper, but more crowded.

Tatung/Zhongshan is also affordable, and you’ll be within walking distance of work. But ther are nice parks in the city. Where will you be staying the first few days when you arrive? You need at least a week to look at places and choose one according to your preferences.

Follow Arch’s and the other guys advice. Take it easy the first few months. Taiwan is a lot friendlier and laid back and convenient and way cheaper than Shanghai but you still need a bit of time to get your bearings.

We’re both 3 year old toddling forumosans. So cute!

In terms of finding private students, it’s a bit of a chicken and egg situation. Until you’ve been living in Taiwan long enough to build up a network of contacts it’s very difficult to get private students. I certainly had no idea where to find them until I’d been living here for over two years at which time they started coming to me. I suppose you could try Taiwanted or Tealit or putting up cards in coffee shops. The guys who get the most private students are the gregarious guys who just talk to the locals at every opportunity. Like all selling it’s a numbers game.

Be like my insurance agent . There is nobody that he wont talk to .

Thanks for the advice!

@archylgp, thanks for the advice on how to handle the work. I am a licensed teacher and my salary is in the range that you put down, I wanted to go with the public school 8-5 job instead of the private school 8-5, because it sounded a hell of a lot easier, and the private school only paid a little more. I was actually meaning I’m wondering how people find additional jobs like tutoring for some supplementary income. Here in Shanghai I picked up an extra 2,400 rmb a month (about 25% of my teaching salary) through tutoring, and got a nice pseudo family out of it, so I was hoping to find the same thing in Taipei

@tomthorne, I plan on trying to be as humble as possible, not just because it is Taiwan, but also because nobody likes arrogance. I will try to be as gregarious as possible, but if i can’t find students i guess i’ll advertise online. What’s the going rate that you charge for your students? Here in Shanghai, 150 - 200 rmb per hour is expected, so this is about 700 -1000 ntd an hour? Or is it lower?

@icon, yes i hope i did make the right choice, it was a tough decision between the private school and the public school, but i talked with a few taiwan teachers and they all said that the private school will give you a little bit more money and probably some small bonus money here and there, but that you will definitely be working a lot harder too. In the end, Peng Lai also just did a better job of being organized and answering my questions, and even sending me links of running clubs for when i get to Taipei, I just went with my gut feeling.

Thanks for the district advice also, I have been thinking about Shilin, but i will now also consider Beitou and Tianmu, but i guess I just will not know until I get there and walk around. As for where i will be staying when i get here, the program will arrange a week long orientation with accomodations. If I somehow misunderstood the accomodations part, then i guess i will just find a hostel. I also have an uncle and aunt in taipei, and they are going to help me out and make sure i don’t get ripped

800NT per hour or 200NT per student per hour (whichever is higher) seems to be standard. If you manage to get loads of students don’t make the mistake of letting your ego get the better of you and start your own school. That road to much pain can lead.

Get well known in your local area, always look and behave professionally, smile a lot and be really friendly to people. It will help a lot if that’s your natural personality. Same as you did in China. Good luck.

Hi all, I have changed my flight date to the 22nd July. I am totally nervous about coming there because I have not managed to find work online before I leave the UK. I am hoping I will have more luck while I am there walking around, handing out CVs and that kind of thing.

My girlfriend is going to help me out as much as she can with everything, and on top of this if you don’t already know I am a youth worker in the UK, and I have worked with loads of different kids age groups, and I have worked in Germany and America as well as the UK.

I am looking for some encouragement and positiveness people. Thank you.

Anyway I am totally nervous because I hope everything works out for me over there. I don’t know if this is in the right part of the forum but I didn’t know where else to put it.

You’ll be fine.

if you’ve worked with different age groups, you’re all good.

Everything will be fine. Anything else you’d like me to reassure you about?

Seriously, have you checked out these guys? Might be worth a day trip to London to see if you can get a job lined up before you come.

saxoncourt.com/Home/tabid/70 … fault.aspx

I realize it’s a big step you’re taking mate, so I just want to wish you the best of luck.

Remember that Taiwan does work for many people. A bit of luck, a bit of experience, a bit of sense, and a bit of personality can go a long way.

So some positivity for you: 1. You know you are coming at the right time, when people might be changing jobs during the summer break. 2. Furthermore, for many it works out better to find work when physically here, as opposed to online (using agents or procuring work before arrival hasn’t always worked). 3. You’ve got your woman waiting for you. 4. Sounds like you’ve done a bit of homework and will know more than most people just getting off the plane.

You’re going to meet absolutely delightful people from all walks of life here. Keep you head on and decide if this is the best place to be. Wishing the absolute best for you.

Don’t be nervous, Sandman hardly bites anyone these days.

Bought your typhoon pills and anti-earthquake sleeping nets yet?

[quote=“tomthorne”]Everything will be fine. Anything else you’d like me to reassure you about?

Seriously, have you checked out these guys? Might be worth a day trip to London to see if you can get a job lined up before you come.

saxoncourt.com/Home/tabid/70 … fault.aspx[/quote]

I checked these out and it was a no goer due to me not having a TEFL certificate.

[quote=“urodacus”]Don’t be nervous, Sandman hardly bites anyone these days.

Bought your typhoon pills and anti-earthquake sleeping nets yet?[/quote]

I have already slept through and earthquake and a bomb. None of this happened in Taiwan, there was a bomb planted near my home by the IRA and then when I was on holiday in Turkey there was an earthquake. None of which woke me up.

[quote=“ThreadKiller”]I realize it’s a big step you’re taking mate, so I just want to wish you the best of luck.

Remember that Taiwan does work for many people. A bit of luck, a bit of experience, a bit of sense, and a bit of personality can go a long way.

So some positivity for you: 1. You know you are coming at the right time, when people might be changing jobs during the summer break. 2. Furthermore, for many it works out better to find work when physically here, as opposed to online (using agents or procuring work before arrival hasn’t always worked). 3. You’ve got your woman waiting for you. 4. Sounds like you’ve done a bit of homework and will know more than most people just getting off the plane.

You’re going to meet absolutely delightful people from all walks of life here. Keep you head on and decide if this is the best place to be. Wishing the absolute best for you.[/quote]

Thanks for the positive encouragement, I just changed my flight today as I realized I would have more chance to get a job in August. Also like you say I have been having terrible luck online, sometimes you barely get a response so I am going to attempt to plough the streets with some Geordie charm :o)