Moving to Taiwan FAQ

Yeah I have worked with small kids from 8 - 13, and then kids from 13-19 and I even worked with 25 year olds in Germany as they were still classed as youths.

Being able to sleep through bombs will come in handy the first time the house above/below you decides to re-decorate. So you’ve got that.

Don’t worry. You don’t want a job with someone who hires unknown people from overseas anyway. There’s usually a reason they hire that way.

You’re gonna be just fine. Really. You don’t have any extra space in your luggage for a couple good ovens, do you? :whistle:

Hiya,

I’m a social worker from Newcastle, now teaching in Taiwan for a grand total of…3 days (been here for nearly 3 weeks). I came out with Saxon court and didn’t have a formal Celta cert but Saxon court do intensive week long ‘FELT’ courses that enables you to work for them…who do you work for ‘in toon’ - perhaps our paths have crossed?

[quote=“chinamac79”]Hiya,

I’m a social worker from Newcastle, now teaching in Taiwan for a grand total of…3 days (been here for nearly 3 weeks). I came out with Saxon court and didn’t have a formal Celta cert but Saxon court do intensive week long ‘FELT’ courses that enables you to work for them…who do you work for ‘in toon’ - perhaps our paths have crossed?[/quote]

I work for Gateshead Council. I was just about to start working for bs Social Care the agency in the ‘toon’ but my crb took absolutely ages to arrive.

I don’t have enough money to go to London for a week, then come to Taipei. It would cost me just as much as it did to change my flight to stay in London for a week plus do the course.

I came to Taiwan without any experience of working with kids or teaching kids at all, and I was also a non-native speaker. Easily got a job within 3 weeks even without knowing anybody in Taiwan that could introduce me.

Don’t worry. :discodance:

Bring a strong stomach and an inclination to try new things and you’ll be fine.

You’re coming to Taiwan and you ALREADY HAVE a girlfriend? Nutter. :loco:

For the first three weeks. :wink:

HI Shearersheed,

Sorry if you’ve already mentioned it, but do you have a university degree?

[quote=“irishstu”]HI Shearersheed,

Sorry if you’ve already mentioned it, but do you have a university degree?[/quote]

Yeah I just passed my course, I have a degree in community and youth studies.

People often tell me this. Not just about moving to Taiwan but about all different things.

I believe I own one of these, and the last 2 visits to Taiwan my girlfriend and her family made me try all different types of odd food. Most of it I thought was great. A few though was totally disgusting.

[quote=“elburro”]I came to Taiwan without any experience of working with kids or teaching kids at all, and I was also a non-native speaker. Easily got a job within 3 weeks even without knowing anybody in Taiwan that could introduce me.

Don’t worry. :discodance:[/quote]

What is your main language. Anyway this post makes me feel a lot more confident.

[quote=“housecat”]Being able to sleep through bombs will come in handy the first time the house above/below you decides to re-decorate. So you’ve got that.

Don’t worry. You don’t want a job with someone who hires unknown people from overseas anyway. There’s usually a reason they hire that way.

You’re gonna be just fine. Really. You don’t have any extra space in your luggage for a couple good ovens, do you? :whistle:[/quote]

No room for ovens, sorry about that.

Hello,

I’m living in Bangkok and off to Jhongli to teach next month. From what I’ve read so far, people are describing it as, uh…, not so great, but most of the info I’ve read here may be a bit outdated. Bangkok has a large foreign community so it’s easy to get many different kinds of foreign goods, I’m expecting for it to be harder there.

Anyhow, I’d appreciate any info about the place possible. I have some Singaporean friends teaching me some basic Mandarin (and I do mean basic) but how hard is the language issue as far as getting day to day things done going to be there? I speak some Thai and it would be nice to meet a Thai community as well as a Western one, what are those communities like out there? Any kind of advice is welcome, thanks.

There’s a Thai community in nearby Taoyuan. Mostly laborers.

Zhongli: kind of an industrial backwater, sandwiched between Taipei, Taoyuan and Hsinchu. Not much of a foreign community there, but some foreigners do live there and like it.

For foreign goods, you’ll probably have to make trips to Taipei.

No way. Just go to Carrefour. There are 3 or 4 in the Chungli area.

When was the last time Chris was actually in Zhongli? All major department stores are represented there. There’s Ikea. And talk is there will be a Costco before long. Granted, it isn’t a pretty area, but you should be able to get anything you need.

It has been a couple years. Things change, I guess.

So far sounds better than I’ve anticipated. Ugly and crowded, that I am used to.