Moving to Taiwan FAQ

Hi there!

It’s been a while that I’m regularly reading this forum in search of information about life in Taiwan, and as a potential future expat in Taipei I’m registering today to request some advice about my case.

I’m finishing my studies this summer, and after that I’m planning to settle in Taipei. I’ve been in this city twice, and I really fell in love with the place, the people, the food, and all the usual stuff I’ve read 10’000 times on this forum. As I will be absolutely free for the first time in my life in a couple of months, I decided to take this probably unique opportunity in a lifetime to go live abroad.

The problem is that I don’t speak Chinese. I’m currently learning the very beginning, and in spite of my motivation the learning pace is really slow (no way). I believe it’s more efficient to learn a language on the spot anyway, so here’s the deal: I’d like to find a way to subsist in Taipei for a few years, the time to reach a correct level of Chinese.

What’s your opinion about that? How should I proceed?

Is it possible to find a decent job that doesn’t require to speak Chinese? What are my chances to find one? Should I go for an internship, knowing that I’ll be financially on my own?

I have a master in business management, so I’m quite versatile and not very constrained about what kind of job I can do :smiley:

Forget English-teaching jobs, I’m not a native speaker so I guess I don’t have any chances in this option.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Bring plenty of scratch for one thing :slight_smile:

Study chinese to give you a ARC, and/or teach engrish, while you canvas and probe and snoop. AIT also has some jobs for people who qualify and who already have ARC (they wont sponsor you I think).

[quote=“Kawa”]Hi there!

It’s been a while that I’m regularly reading this forum in search of information about life in Taiwan, and as a potential future expat in Taipei I’m registering today to request some advice about my case.

I’m finishing my studies this summer, and after that I’m planning to settle in Taipei. I’ve been in this city twice, and I really fell in love with the place, the people, the food, and all the usual stuff I’ve read 10’000 times on this forum. As I will be absolutely free for the first time in my life in a couple of months, I decided to take this probably unique opportunity in a lifetime to go live abroad.

The problem is that I don’t speak Chinese. I’m currently learning the very beginning, and in spite of my motivation the learning pace is really slow (no way). I believe it’s more efficient to learn a language on the spot anyway, so here’s the deal: I’d like to find a way to subsist in Taipei for a few years, the time to reach a correct level of Chinese.

Is it possible to find a decent job that doesn’t require to speak Chinese? What are my chances to find one? Should I go for an internship, knowing that I’ll be financially on my own?

I have a master in business management, so I’m quite versatile and not very constrained about what kind of job I can do :smiley:

Forget English-teaching jobs, I’m not a native speaker so I guess I don’t have any chances in this option.

Thanks in advance for your comments![/quote]

Unfortunately if you don’t speak Chinese, you will have a very hard time finding work other than teaching English (you just need to possess a passport from one of the designated English speaking countries, like the U.S. and Canada, for example), unless you were sent here by your company, in which case they’d take care of your ARC and most likely your housing/living situation, etc. I have a Business degree from a top U.S. university, I speak, read and write fluent Mandarin Chinese and I have worked as a marketing executive in the financial services industry for over 13 years AND I have ROC citizenship. I spent two years after arriving in Taiwan looking for work and to no avail. However, my husband, who’s a native English speaker, with zero English teaching experience, found a job before we got here and successfully found another position, this time with a local elementary school. Go figure. I know you don’t want to teach English, but you may not have a choice if you need a job to stay here. Many schools will sponsor your ARC, if you’re not doing it through the school you’re going to be enrolling in for Chinese language learning. You can still try looking for non English-teaching jobs but it’ll be really hard if you don’t understand Chinese.

Here’s one of the largest local job websites you can try, many times the employer will post jobs in English: 104.com.tw
You might still need someone who can read Chinese to help you navigate through the pages.

By the way, you might want to have your resume translated into Chinese, even if you can’t read or write it.

Good luck!

[quote=“aquagirl”][quote=“Kawa”]Hi there!

Thanks in advance for your comments![/quote]

Unfortunately if you don’t speak Chinese, you will have a very hard time finding work other than teaching English (you just need to possess a passport from one of the designated English speaking countries, like the U.S. and Canada, for example), unless you were sent here by your company, in which case they’d take care of your ARC and most likely your housing/living situation, etc. I have a Business degree from a top U.S. university, I speak, read and write fluent Mandarin Chinese and I have worked as a marketing executive in the financial services industry for over 13 years AND I have ROC citizenship. I spent two years after arriving in Taiwan looking for work and to no avail. However, my husband, who’s a native English speaker, with zero English teaching experience, found a job before we got here and successfully found another position, this time with a local elementary school. Go figure. I know you don’t want to teach English, but you may not have a choice if you need a job to stay here. Many schools will sponsor your ARC, if you’re not doing it through the school you’re going to be enrolling in for Chinese language learning. You can still try looking for non English-teaching jobs but it’ll be really hard if you don’t understand Chinese.

Here’s one of the largest local job websites you can try, many times the employer will post jobs in English: 104.com.tw
You might still need someone who can read Chinese to help you navigate through the pages.

By the way, you might want to have your resume translated into Chinese, even if you can’t read or write it.

Good luck![/quote]

Just realized that you’re from Switzerland. Don’t think that’s one of the qualifying countries but I’ve read in so many places on this forum that people know people who can’t speak English got teaching jobs. There was even someone who was actually English illiterate and got a teaching job at a school. It’s not something I’m advocating but if you’re Western and have good command of the English language, you can probably get a job teaching English. It’s just a matter of whether you want to or not.

As far as I can see, the only prerequisite for teaching English in Taiwan is having a white skin (like that American look), English ability seems to not matter as much.

plus the correct passport for your ARC.

Kawa,

First of all, congratulations. If you already know you like Taipei, just come. If you maintain your sense of humor, you’ll love it here.

Forget English-teaching too, unless you find you have no other choice. If you are a native French, German or Italian speaker, you might be able to land some tutoring jobs in one of those languages. Opportunities have a funny way of unfolding here if you are patient and not too terribly strapped for money.

Keep your Chinese study in mind, if that’s your goal. Chances for work are here, but try to get settled in with a Chinese study program first and see how things pan out. You should be okay.

Best of luck,
Tazzie

Your Masters won’t do you much good, either. In order to get a work permit and ARC based on that qualification you also need to provide a minimum of one year verifiable work experience in a relevant field. The work must have been done AFTER you graduated. For a BA, its two years.
I’ve heard that in the high-tech sector they’ll sometimes find a way around that if the company wants you badly enough. You’d probably need something with a bit more pizazz than just business management, though.
Probably in your case it would be best to forget about using your masters, and just come here and study Chinese, doing a bit of illegal teaching on the side once you’ve found out how things work.

Ok so I arrive in Taipei on 25th July. I am flying to Bangkok then from Bangkok to Taipei on airasia. No matter how much I keep checking the government travel advice I still think I have missed something important.

I have a return ticket to Bangkok and I don’t intend to use it. I can stay for 90 days, then renew my visa for another 90 days while I am looking for work? This is correct right.

Thanks again people.

Seems about right to me…welcome to Taiwan in mid-summer!

Shearersheed –

You seem like the worrying type – which probably means you’re going to be totally fine. You already have connections in Taiwan, a university degree, and experience working with children and young people.

Stock up on your Geordie and bring it all with you’ll be a big hit here.

How’s Newcastle doing? My wife and I lived there 1998-2001. We love that place.

Post on this thread and I am sure people here will do whatever we can reasonably do to help you get settled in.

Cheers –
Tazzie

Thanks for the answers!

I’m beginning to figure out what I’m gonna do. I didn’t precise it but of course I want to learn Chinese seriously, since I don’t know for how long I would stay in Taiwan (who knows?). I was quite frustrated when I was there not being able to understand most of the things happening around me, so I really want to adapt :slight_smile:

I discovered that the AIESEC (worldwide student association) offers long term management internships and I applied to several of them in Taipei. It doesn’t require to speak Chinese and the wages are correct. I think it can be a good way to start in Taiwan and give time to begin to learn Chinese besides work. It would also solve the one -year-experience-after-graduation issue that Sandman raised.

If it doesn’t work, then I guess I’ll end up teaching French or English for a while.

If you refer to all the weird things that a foreigner can see or hear in the daily life that’s definitely not a problem, that’s part of what I love in Taiwan :smiley:

Oh and I tried the Chinese job boards, but I think it’s unlikely to find something without being on the spot to pass interviews…

The experience must be OVERSEAS, Taiwan experience doesn’t count. It may have happened in the past that people have claimed work experience to satisfy the visa rules even if they didn’t have the full year or two in reality…just saying.

Sounds like the internship thing would be the obvious avenue of pursuit. I didn’t know interns got actually paid, though, but I guess it would mean you wouldn’t need to prove experience.

AIESEC internships are particular, I know the traditional ones are not paid. And I have 5 years of professional experience, but besides my studies…

[quote=“Tazzie”]Shearersheed –

You seem like the worrying type – which probably means you’re going to be totally fine. You already have connections in Taiwan, a university degree, and experience working with children and young people.

Stock up on your Geordie and bring it all with you’ll be a big hit here.

How’s Newcastle doing? My wife and I lived there 1998-2001. We love that place.

Post on this thread and I am sure people here will do whatever we can reasonably do to help you get settled in.

Cheers –
Tazzie[/quote]

I’m not really the worrying type. Although I can see how that all comes across on here because I have been using this to ask questions to everything I can’t find an answer to, or want to double check.

Newcastle it great I think. We just got promoted back to the premier league for a start wooo!!! I guess when you guys lived here you noticed how much we like to party, and how little the women wear when going on a night out in Newcastle city centre. What did you live here for? Uni or work?

I just thought in a year or two, I could be the same as you lot on this forum giving people advice and telling them not to worry about everything ha!!!

I speak uber geordie, especially when drunk :o)

It is only 10 days until I leave Newcastle :slight_smile: :discodance:

Quick Newcastle/Taiwan story –

Does this qualify for “nervous”?

So I’m in Newcastle summer, 1991, with a group of university students from Taiwan. Rent a car in Gateshead and drive it across that famous whatchamacallit bridge to the NC side. I am a little nervous, driving on the wrong side of the road and all, and working with a manual transmission wrong-footed and left-handed, but feeling kind of proud of myself because I am quickly getting the knack of things. Then comes a roundabout just after I cross the River Tyne and the damn car stalls, I’m pissing my pants, trying to get it going, but it keeps stalling, and now the damn traffic is getting backed up, and I feel like a complete idiot. Eventually, a friendly Canadian guy who recognizes my apoplexy for what it is, helps me push the car up onto the sidewalk and beside a phone booth (because in Taiwan we always drive on the walks :laughing: ). I call the rental company – Eurocar (!!) – explain at length what’s been going on, and eventually the lady asks in her sweet geordie voice if I’ve by chance pulled the choke out (or pushed it in, I forget).

The choke. Had I pushed it in/out. I kid you not. I hadn’t seen a choke on a car since the 1960s!

Eventually, all is well. I spend the week tooling around northern England and shuttling students to & fro. It was a great summer. Students had a great time at Newcastle University & all was well.

So manual cars ain’t really your thing right :laughing:

I’m sure you mean the Tyne Bridge but there are many bridges over the river.

I think Northern England is much better than the South but I guess I am biased about that.

I just called a guy about a job, and I swear to god I couldn’t make out the first letter of his email he was trying to tell me so I emailed them all what it sounded like. lin, flin, and clin couldn’t work it out anyway you think it would be rude if I called him back some point during the week to ask if he received my email?

A simple call to clarify an email address? Of course it wouldn’t be rude. You wouldn’t want to work for anyone who got uptight about something that trivial either, so call away.

Yeah, it was the Tyne Bridge, I am sure.