Moving to Taiwan this winter, where should I live??

Welp, it’s official, got my gold card today and I guess that means there’s no turning back now :upside_down_face:

I plan to make the move this winter.

I guess that means I should probably figure out… where I’m going to live! :smile:

I HATE the heat. I know, you’re probably thinking – then don’t come jerk. But life ain’t always that simple! So, I was wondering if anyone had any insights on what would be the least hot, yet still good city to live in? By “good” here I just mean decently developed (e.g. public transportation is good). I don’t care that much about night life. Also don’t care about expat communities. Though cafes and restaurants I do like.

I’ve heard Taichung most closely matches what I’m looking for. But I’ve also heard maybe Kaohsiung is better?

Also, any advice on how to actually find an apartment? Should I even try to begin looking now online or just book something like an airbnb in the beginning and find something once I’m there in person?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

2 Likes

Not if you hate the heat

7 Likes

Greater Taipei trumps all for cafes, restaurants, and public transport. It’s hot EVERYWHERE.

This is gonna be a bit of bad news, but, either you live in a smaller town and have less amenities and transport but slightly less heat/humidity, or you live in the big city and have all those things.

Public transport isn’t that good in Taichung, Less of a problem in Kaohsiung. Kaohsiung is HOT for sure. Taipei at least has some reprieve half the year.

AirBNB it first. Find something you like.

7 Likes

Depends on where you’re going. There is the TRA, two MRT lines, ferry to the island, youbike, buses, and a light rail line that is short now but has a new section that must be almost finished. Kaohsiung public transport seems fine to me

5 Likes

Sure, go live in the mountains, probably less hot but still hot. Like Yangming Shan is probably a bit less hot compared to say Taipei. I mean altitude tends to move latitudes up a little bit… But the trouble with yangming shan is poor transport infrastructure.

Given that electricity cost is about 6nt at most, that’s if you are a serious power user on a commercial account, I’d just stay inside and turn on the AC.

If you are in Taiwan on a gold card you can more than afford the cost.

2 Likes

Sorry. I misspoke. I fixed my post.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the replies so far!

I’ve also heard Tainan has good food spots and is a teeeeny bit less hot. Any experiences there?

1 Like

I like Tainan, but I like Taichung and Kaohsiung too. My biggest gripe with Tainan is its poor transit. But the city centre is fairly walkable.

2 Likes

Strictly weather wise, if you need to be in a big(ish) city, Taichung would most definitely be your choice. It can be dumping rain in Taipei while it’s sunny in Taichung. It’s far from having all the benefits that Taipei offers, but for the weather it’s a no-brainer, especially if you tire of rain easily.

1 Like

Tainan is nice, but it’s pretty hot year-round. Taipei has an actual winter, which you might like. It goes down to around 10-15’C for a couple of months here in Danshui.

As mentioned, if you really can’t stand the heat then what you want is altitude (apples are grown up in the mountains). But that basically means you’ll be in an isolated village somewhere with few prospects of employment.

All things considered, somewhere up north (which basically means Taipei, Taoyuan, or Keelung) would be your best bet. The high living costs should be offset by your (hopefully!) high-end salary.

1 Like

Taipei you will soon be complaining how cold it is

1 Like

Depending on where they are from, no. Minus 50 celcius is cold. 10 degrees is still sandals weather

2 Likes

Once you go through a Taiwan summer 10c feels cold when winter rolls around

I dunno, it got down to 13 and i didnt think it was cold, except relative to local temperatures. I never had to stop wearing sandals :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Taiwanese summers are scorching hot everywhere, but the more you head north the shorter they are. I live down south and I always notice the difference in temperature when I head north. Like sweating under the sun with 30°C in Kaohsiung and finding wind, rain and almost wanting to wear a jumper once I reach Taipei. I would second @Marco and suggest Taipei, the quieter areas on the Northern coast belonging to New Taipei or even Yilan.

BTW I love the heat, so I’m suggesting you what I would never do :rofl: :rofl:

6 Likes

Digital Nomad, I presume?

If you’re not tied to a space, but you want access -AND- cooler climes, I’m going to suggest the north end of the red line. Tamsui, Beitou, and Tianmu. Tianmu especially enjoys a reliable NE wind. Maybe Neihu, but I’ve never spent much time there.

Just stay out of the concrete bowl that is the city proper.

Don’t kid yourself, it’s going to be hot everywhere.

It’s going to stay warmer, longer, as you move south.

If you want any sense of cold (puffer jackets and scarves come out in the high 60’s), stay as far north as you can.

4 Likes

What work will you do?

For socializing the north is generally good (Taipei, New Taipie, Hsinchu, Taichung). If you want some nature and beaches the south. If you want isolation the East Coast.

2 Likes

Me too. I love hot everything.

Hot food
Hot weather
Hot girls

:howyoudoin:

3 Likes

Taichung people do not consider themselves to live in “the north.” And in terms of how they do things, it really does feel like a different region. :grin:

Guy

2 Likes

If only there were some naming convention they could use to separate the north, middle, and south cities of TAIwan… but what about the east?

2 Likes