Moving to Taiwan this winter, where should I live??

East is east. :upside_down_face:

Guy

Please tell me you saw what i was doing there…

2 Likes

Sorry I am just dreaming of escaping Taipei’s gloom now and travelling to Taitung. I got distracted there.

Guy

2 Likes

Hello again all! I’m glad I decided to post this question because all your replies have been super informative! Thanks to everyone!

I was under the impression that there was a more dramatic difference in the heat between say Taipei and Taichung. Also, I hadn’t understood that the seasons are more distinct in Taipei so at least there you get “a reprieve” as someone aptly put it :smile: Plus the rain typically doesn’t bother me – I actually enjoy it (but maybe Taiwan will change that…)

While I like the nature generally, I’d def also prefer to live in a city. So I guess, as a plot twist to what I was thinking only just yesterday, it looks like my best bet may be Taipei after all!

So assuming I plan to go to Taipei, may I posit a potentially even more controversy-stirring question?

Which neighborhood within Taipei should I live?? I understand this question probably isn’t even worth asking, as it’s probably super subjective and completely based on the individual. However, even personal opinions / thoughts / observations are helpful.

As I mentioned previously I like cafes & restaurants (not high-end, I just mean I’m kind of a “foodie”). I also like friendliness / openness if there’s any difference in general attitudes between areas. Bars / clubs I don’t really care about. Expat scenes I don’t care about. Relative cleanliness would be nice if possible (for example, is it possible to find a place without cockroaches or rats?). Access to public transport would be preferable.

I saw some q’s about my work / financial situation. And maybe answering them would help with suggestions as well. I am a software dev (surprise!) but I don’t work for big tech, it’s more like a non-profit and a European one at that, so the salary isn’t crazy: ~70k euro. I don’t consider myself a digital nomad though, as I’ve been in my current country for ~6 years and I plan on staying long term in Taiwan (if possible). So that is to say, I’m not hopping from one country to the next every few months.

Anyway, I’m also doing my own research but it’s just a bit tough trying to discern what info out there is actually accurate :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I’ve found several articles that are basically just ads for hostels :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Naming convention is already there in the Chinese language
Taiwan north is Taipei . Pei means north

Taiwan central is Taichung . Chung means center

Taiwan south is Tainan . Nan means South

Taiwan east is Taitung. Tumg means East

3 Likes

Wow, thanks captain obvious. I guess for you the answer to the following question is not yes

Just to spell it out for a casual reader, what i’m saying here is that i got that, but i get that you didn’t get that i got that :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

To sum up: @Lost.in.space , here’s how you know Taichung isn’t really in the north

1 Like

I have never lived in Taipei so I will leave this answer to the experts. As a general suggestion, I would recommend you find a temporary place to live for maybe a month after quarantine (AirBnB, hotel, etc.) and slowly start hunting for your long-term accommodation. Pictures are deceiving and particularly so in Taiwan. Better to slowly explore the ground before making a decision.

4 Likes

I lived in both Taipei and Kaoshuing. I prefer Kaoshuing but I think for most international people Taipei is a better city. (I am mix Japanese background so KHH is good as sizeable younger Japanese population in KHH so that is good for me). For Taipei metro its a much bigger city and thus more cafes, bars and lots of nightlife. The public transport in Taipei in general is much better. The pay for jobs (this depends on what you do) is generally higher in the Taipei area. There are a lot more ex pats and Westerners in Taipei to make it easier to meet like people. Parts of the city are the most modern in Taiwan (some parts are not). Taipei has lots of shopping (seems a big hobby there) and can get most goods from various places. (maybe not cheap but you can get it). Taipei, things normally get done faster than other places in Taiwan too.
As for why I like KHH. A nice dry winter season with pleasant weather 18-25C so out and enjoy. Summer is hot but if really check numbers its cooler than most of Taipei (this can vary by location in the cities). I find the people to be nicer and relaxed (ie slow). I lived in Hawaii for a long time, and find the people to slower and nicer and more so on Aloha time (this can bad or good). KHH life has out outdoor things and more going to coffee cafes to chat and drink. There is much less nightclub kind of nightlife so if you what do that Taipei is better for that as well Taichung ( ie KTV) That being said, I feel the general people in KHH are younger but somewhat more traditional and thus less into Taipei nightlife (the paradox is Taipei city proper has more older people (NTC has more younger people) but a lot of nightlife). Living in KHH you can get much bigger home for the same rent. KHH does have have two rail lines along with local TRA rail but most local people use cars or scooters as its not as dense as Taipei. I am also a foodie and I think for me KHH has enough to explore along with nearby Tainan and Pingtung (both within hour away). There is enough for me in the area, I seldom stay in Taipei beyond work needs now (I normally would go once a week but less with COVID and now do a lot more e-meetings. I do not miss it much other than go out with mates as I thought I would)

4 Likes

If you are going to try Taipei, I suggest the Guting/Dongmen/NTU are of Da’an District first. Great public transportation, a ridiculous number of cafes, good places to eat, and access to the riverside parks. One advantage of Taipei is that it is extremely easy to get out into nature. You can easily afford Taipei.

As others have said, it is hot everywhere in Taiwan for most of the year. You would best off just trying to acclimate. In Taipei, Yangmingshan is slightly cooler but from what you are saying I don’t think you will notice much difference. You need to be 1000 meters or more up in a place like Lishan or Xitou to get cool nights and at least dry heat in the day.

2 Likes

I agree with this.

Guy

2 Likes

Any forumosans live up at that altitude? It seems these higher altitude communities are basically tourist and/or agricultural towns and don’t really have adequate infrastructure for most expats. That’s why just about everyone I know is down here sweltering on the plains.

Forumosans, prove me wrong! :grin:

Guy

2 Likes

You want a place that it is not too hot, but convenient with a good public transportation. The South isn’t as hot as Taipei during the Summer. But, the best public transportation is where you can find MRT. Taipei and Kaohsiung have many options of MRT. You can find MRT in Taichung, but it is not going to take you everywhere. So, you still need to take buses. There are many buses in Taichung. About other cities like Chiayi, Tainan, Hualien. They are great places to live. Because they are not so crowded like Taipei. But, it is not convenient if you are looking for public transportation. Sometimes, the buses take hours to arrive. Kaohsiung could be suitable to you. The rent is more affordable. You can book a date to see your apartment on airbnb before you arrive. But, make sure to see the apartment before signing a contract to live as a long-term resident. Some hostels accept monthly payment without a contract. It is better you live in a place in a short-term first before you look for a new apartment. Because most of apartments’ owners will ask you to sign at least 1 year of contract. You will not always be happy with the place you rented. If you break the contract, you may have your security deposit taken.

1 Like

I’m always amused you spell it exactly as your username.

That is commitment.

1 Like

Who wants to tell him about Taipei and rain?

2 Likes

Afraid of heat means Taiwan may be too much as
It does
Get pretty hot

You didn’t get that that was not for you

How about…CHOOSE YOUR HASSLES?

I love warm climate and humidity is good for my biggest organ…skin!

1 Like

Funny that people move to a tropical country and complain about the heat, the rain, the cold, mosquitos and everything else.

2 Likes