Moving to Taiwan this winter, where should I live??

I can give you some advice based purely on the weather.

Taichung and Kaohsiung are both great options if you hate the heat. They have the same highs (usually 31 degrees) during the summers. The difference is Taichung’s summers are shorter, and winters can get pretty cold. Kaohsiung’s summers are longer, with scorching tropical sun but cool ocean breeze and less humidity, and winters are very mild with zero rain.

Taipei is probably the hottest city in Taiwan, as it’s located inland, in subtropical (humid) northern Taiwan, and within a basin. Triple whammy. It also has long and cold winters, and more rainy days than London, Seattle, and Vancouver. Although the good thing about Taipei for you would be the shorter summers.

2 Likes

The BAD thing about Taipei is the shorter summer

Oh. You enjoy having sweaty balls?

1 Like

As a kid I was traumatized by Taipei’s harsh winters and I just love the heat of summer

The month in the year when the east bay is so hot and humid like Taipei in the summer it is bliss for me

I close my eyes and let the sweat flow down inside my clothes and I’m back in Taipei again in summer time

Just wonderful

2 Likes

Sorry Tommy I have also lived in the East Bay and I would say with some confidence that it is NEVER “hot and humid like Taipei”!

Guy

3 Likes

You have missed it then for in martinez where I have lived last 17 years there are those treasured days !!!

The east bay is big and depends where exactly you are there are many micro climates

Agreed, although I lived on the peninsula and not the East Bay. I know there are lots of different climates around the Bay Area, but I really doubt there were any areas as humid as Taipei.

2 Likes

Yes there are many microclimates in the SF Bay Area. And none of them have anywhere close to the humidity we experience in northern Taiwan.

EDIT: Plus what @user86 said.

Guy

1 Like

There are many days when Martinez goes past 100 and while most of those days are not quite as humid as tsipei I can assure you there are a few days when it comes pretty close

As close as it’s gonna get

Close enough for a kid from the wan who ain’t been back but twice in 20 years

Sitting in my apt in my underwear during those days with the AC off and the fan blowing on me
It feels pretty dam close

Although yes it can’t beat the sweat of summer in wanli

It brings some of it back for me

Your mileage may vary

Agreed but it’s a good semblance for me which I enjoy

I never minded the heat in Taiwan in summer or the humidity

Glad you enjoy it! Taipei in recent years has been utter hell in summer. I don’t know how the homeless guys survive.

Guy

1 Like

How old were you when you lived in Taiwan? Were sweaty balls not a concern yet?

Growing up in Hong Kong, I never minded the heat and humidity there until I moved back there as an adult.

1 Like

I left in 99 and yes I’ve been told that now it’s unloveable and possibly unliveable in summer now due to global warming and you may well be right

I was last there in 2012 for two weeks so what do I know

But when I was living there I loved summers because I loved going swimming in the ocean which I’m deprived of living in north Calif

In the last 20 years I’ve been in the ocean only a few times when I went to Hawaii

I moved back to SF a few months ago and I’m missing the hotter climate of Martinez

My wife who is Indonesian grew up on the equator and can’t stand the heat and humidity and loves being in SF and doesn’t like summers in Martinez

Sweaty balls is more of a problem here because somehow my balls rot here but not in Taiwan

There is generally more fungus here I think

I have to grease my balls in oil to prevent fungus growth never had to do that on the wan

All you wanted to know about balls but we’re afraid to ask haha

Moldy balls = Fuzzy balls

I’m guessing you didn’t move to the Mission district then!

1 Like

Sunset

Well, Sunset in the summer is like Taipei in the winter, so that should remind you a bit of home.

1 Like

Well true there is no real summer in the sunset

Little tidbit of useless info here the Waymo electric jags and the other company’s bolts finally got permission to let their vehicles go without a driver in them recently

Freaky . They drive past our sunset home quite a lot day and night

Previously they had someone in the drivers seat just in case
I guess Uber may soon go driverless at least in San Francisco

Another little tidbit of useless info

Don’t know if Tammy’s new TT had anything to do with it but two Asian neighbors across the street each bought a Toyota Supra which is in the same category as a TT

I think the TT is better

Hold on hold on
They told me it’s not hot enough or humid enough in the East Bay and especially in sunset

What is this I’m feeling running down my face and inside my clothes sitting at home where we only have heating and no AC

Sweat !!

Does it still snow on Ali Shan? You could take the train down the mountain when it’s operational. :sweat_smile: